"fire mages are late gear lvls"

90 Pandaren Mage
Can someone explain to me what this means. I've heard this a few times over the past bit of me commenting that fire is quite enjoyable to a friend, he'd said fire is really gear dependent. I knew it was, but is it just because its so heavily crit dependent. Or because it requires crit & another stat?

And if it is so much dependent, how badly am I going to suffer if I keep using fire pretty much, forever? I don't mind using frost/arcane, I'm familiar with both specs, but I really prefer fire. Its just the feeling of "building" up to throw a giant 4sec cast spell instantly and the use of minor dots & big spells.
Reply Quote
Its that Fire has to reforge to so much crit to get to their desired amount. More crit= better. More crit on each piece= more other stats left over not reforged out of. (See also hit)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Fire is dependent on gear as ppl say or scales better with gear...because in short.

FIRE NEEDS CRIT to reduce the effects of RNG.

If you do not have at least somewhere in the range of 43-45% crit self buffed or >16000 crit rating. and you can't acquire that much without Heroic Gear.

short answer.
Edited by Jawne on 5/1/2013 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
And if it is so much dependent, how badly am I going to suffer if I keep using fire pretty much, forever? I don't mind using frost/arcane, I'm familiar with both specs, but I really prefer fire

Unless you are pushing heroic level raiding content,...then it really isn't something you should be worrying about. Frost is going to do more damage, but not in levels that would matter to anyone, unless they are pushing the top end content.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Basically, going from full T14H to full T15H, Fire will gain about 7% more damage than Frost will. Note that that doesn't mean Fire ends up doing 7% more damage. If they both started at 100K, and Frost went to 200K while Fire went to 207K, the end result would be Fire doing 3.5% more damage than Fire.

So, yes, Fire scales better with gear, but not to such a degree that most people need to care.
90 Human Mage
Don't think of it as fire is good with X,Y,Z.

Think of it instead as fire is bad without X,Y,Z.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Think of it instead as fire is bad without X,Y,Z.

are x y and z all representing cata combustion?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]