Alt Levelling: Questing vs Dungeons (Problem)

95 Tauren Druid
I think it's really sad that alt levelling in WoW is more or less restricted to dungeon spamming now. I completely understand that it's the player's choice and they can really do what they want, but honestly any time I'm on an alt, I just feel really left behind and slow if I'm not constantly queued for a dungeon. Cataclysm developers clearly put a ton of workforce into a complete redesign of the original 2 continents and as of today, anyone will tell you that if you're not constantly queued for a dungeon then you're being left behind.

I really think boosting the amount of exp gained from low level quests and even from killing mobs (except for elite mobs, like in dungeons) would solve this problem. It would take away the extremely clear advantage that dungeon spamming has over questing. I am truly interested in exploring the new zones and quests and seeing how they've changed, but once I hit 15 and can do dungeons, what advantage is there to me to quest? Dungeons give significantly more exp, it's not a small difference at all.

As a quick example, I got the quest to go to Barrens from Durotar on my Warlock at about level 12. On my way, I dotted all the mobs and had my pet kill them and was pretty much 13 by the time i got to Crossroads. In two levels of straight questing, I'm already at the required level for dungeons and can pretty much just sit in Org while the queues pop. The queues are quick enough that I don't even have enough time in between dungeons to get a quest or two done.

As a side note, Azshara was redone and hugely mentioned as a low level questing zone, but how would any new player know to go there? There are absolutely no lead-in quests nearby, there is only the one to go to Northern Barrens.

EDIT: Perhaps a free flight from some NPC in Durotar to get to Azshara would help.

But even to new players, why would they ever bother with questing when the fastest way to get to 90 is through spamming dungeons? My big question is, What was the point of redoing 2 massive continents' quests just to have a simple spam of dungeons be the fastest way to 90? In Outlands and Northrend, I didn't even make it out of the starting zone before I was 68 and 78 and moving onto the next expansion.

I guess another topic that comes to mind is that it's sad that once an expansion is over, it's over. It's dead content that a huge portion of players will ignore: all the work that goes into the landscapes, NPCs, quests, creatures just drops in relevance by an unbelievable amount. Bringing back questing would at least bring back some of this wonderful content. I honestly love both Outlands and Northrend. And it's also a little weird how Blizzard hasn't learned its lesson yet. In maybe 8 or 10 months, Pandaria is going to be a wasteland just like Northrend and Outland are (and the rest of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, for that matter).
Edited by Balancer on 5/3/2013 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
If you actually WANT to quest and follow the story, then stop queuing for dungeons. Problem solved.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
As a side note, Azshara was redone and hugely mentioned as a low level questing zone, but how would any new player know to go there? There are absolutely no lead-in quests nearby, there is only the one to go to Northern Barrens.

That's strange cuz the last time I RaF'd some brand-newbies, they quested all over Azshara. There must've had some lead-in quest to know to go there. Don't really remember. Maybe it was after Durotar.
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
But even to new players, why would they ever bother with questing when the fastest way to get to 90 is through spamming dungeons? My big question is, What was the point of redoing 2 massive continents' quests just to have a simple spam of dungeons be the fastest way to 90? In Outlands and Northrend, I didn't even make it out of the starting zone before I was 68 and 78 and moving onto the next expansion.

I guess another topic that comes to mind is that it's sad that once an expansion is over, it's over. It's dead content that a huge portion of players will ignore: all the work that goes into the landscapes, NPCs, quests, creatures just drops in relevance by an unbelievable amount. Bringing back questing would at least bring back some of this wonderful content. I honestly love both Outlands and Northrend. And it's also a little weird how Blizzard hasn't learned its lesson yet. In maybe 8 or 10 months, Pandaria is going to be a wasteland just like Northrend and Outland are (and the rest of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, for that matter).
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
05/03/2013 07:55 PMPosted by Balancer
But even to new players, why would they ever bother with questing when the fastest way to get to 90 is through spamming dungeons?

There's a few reasons they might... bored with dungeons, they like doing quests and want to see the storylines, want to get the achievements. Don't think it's really that big of a deal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]