Mages and Spirit

87 Draenei Mage
Do you think it's ok for Mages to need on Spirit in lower level dungeons even if it's an upgrade for the healer? If not, how do you propose Blizzard go about making sure that DPS don't need on healer upgrades and vice versa?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Probably these people needing on "healing gear" are more concerned about themselves. If the item has better intel, crit, haste, they will try to take it. Is it the right thing to do to take healing gear as dps class like mage, probably not. Human nature sometimes sucks.
Reply Quote
Now, by "lower level dungeons," what range are you talking about?

While leveling I believe it's alright. I am of the belief that you simply need to be conscious of other people when rolling for gear.

For example, a trinket with bonus spirit, and a spirit proc when healing is probably best left to the healer. But for example, your Faded Forest Emblem is ambiguous - Both healers and DPS will make good use of it.
Edited by Tiermodim on 4/26/2013 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Until Blizzard implements LFR loot (individual loot rolls) to all randomly grouped content...the answer is suck it up.

I used to be an advocate for 'divvy gear up based on what spec you are playing at the moment.' Apparently, I am wrong and Blizzard wants LFD to be a need roll fest. Especially at lower levels when the gear will be outdated in about 20 minutes.

As to a mage specifically taking spirit gear? Was the int an upgrade for the mage? If so, sorry, but it's an upgrade for the mage. Especially at lower levels where secondary stats aren't as important as primary stats.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
sometimes an item is an upgrade, even with spirit (see: this alt's ring)

I personally would never take an item with spirit over a class that actually uses spirit (because reality is, spirit is useless for mages, but in this case I had a questing green, the healer didn't need it, and the int upgrade was substantial), and I think people who do are pretty self-centered... but the rules don't prevent them from doing so. whether we think they're jerks, it shouldn't be allowed, w/e... it doesn't matter. rules are pretty black/white - if he can click the dice, the game says it's ok.

then on the other hand - you're talking about lower level gear. IMO, don't get upset about that crap. the gear goes by so fast pre-90, you'll replace it in an hour or so anyway, why get all bothered over something that fleeting?
Edited by Annastasi on 4/26/2013 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Gear itemization tends to be horrible for everyone at low level so if the gear is actually an upgrade with a useless stat attached I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
The general attitude is "you're leveling, it's not going to make that much difference between now and 4 levels when you get a better piece of gear". While I have never taken a piece of gear not appropriate for my MS/OS (OS after checking with the other role), it's also nothing to get bent out of shape over. Near the end of leveling though, it is kind of a crap move.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Mage
The items in question had no crit nor haste and I was the healer and politely asked the Mage if he could pass those items to me because they were upgrades for me and he doesn't us Spirit. He said "Sure" followed by a smiley face. I waited for him to trade them to me but he didn't and then the tank kept going. When I asked for the items again at the end of the instance, he didn't reply and just left.

I'm livid and wish Blizzard could do something about this crap. DPS, healers and tanks ought to have separate gear with separate, non-ambiguous stats. I just healed an entire long dungeon just to be screwed out of two good upgrades. I don't normally care about upgrades or loot but I just came back from a break and this is the sort of crap that puts me off playing WoW.

P.s. It doesn't matter what the level bracket is, it's the concept. Blizzard really needs to fix this. It's the sort of thing that can, and does, impact a person's enjoyment of the game. It's not fair to put a lot of effort into something, even if it's just a game, only to be told to "suck it up" or that "it's just a game". Again, it's the concept that matters.
Edited by Eveyana on 4/26/2013 10:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I just healed an entire long dungeon just to be screwed out of two good upgrades. I don't normally care about upgrades or loot but I just came back from a break and this is the sort of crap that puts me off playing WoW.

Then avoid the dungeon finder like the plague. Get in a guild which supports/does guild dungeon runs at lower levels/encourages/helps leveling.

The dungeon finder is not a place to find cooperation and decency. It's a place to find convenience.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
As long as it's also an upgrade for the mage, yes it's fine. I've got a low level reroll priest and it's never bugged me to lose spirit gear to a mage or warlock. I know I'm just going to be replacing the gear soon anyway.

Even at 90, I was losing spirit pieces in heroic randoms to locks and mages. Again, I was fine when they were replacing their quest greens and blues with the item. Unless you're talking about one of the really rare epics drops, you'll see the item drop again.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Mage
04/26/2013 10:21 AMPosted by Zenthrus
Then avoid the dungeon finder like the plague. Get in a guild which supports/does guild dungeon runs at lower levels/encourages/helps leveling.

Our server is almost dead. It's very difficult to get into any guild, let alone find others within your bracket to level with you at your pace. Having gear taken from you doesn't feel very rewarding nor is it fair after you've invested a lot of time and effort haling a group (especially in a fairly long dungeon).
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
If it's an actual upgrade for the mage, then the healer has to suck it up.

In levelling dungeons you take what you can get. The only relevant stat for DPS casters pre-Cata content is Intellect. Pre-Cata healers can heal with no gear on at all in LFD and still cope, thanks to how powerful healing spells are.

Even in Cata/MoP content, if it's an upgrade for the DPS then they're entitled to roll on it. This becomes less common though because there's more non-spirit gear for them to use. Nothing stopping healers from rolling on non-spirit pieces however.
Edited by Seyl on 4/26/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Eveyana

Our server is almost dead. It's very difficult to get into any guild, let alone find others within your bracket to level with you at your pace. Having gear taken from you doesn't feel very rewarding nor is it fair after you've invested a lot of time and effort haling a group (especially in a fairly long dungeon).

Oh, I agree. I lose gear all the time. When i pull out a tanking toon, all the DPS roll on the tank drops. When I pull out a healing toon, all the DPS roll on the healing gear. And when I roll DPS, the tank and heals both roll need on every DPS gear drop (I need that for my other spec).

Blizzard obviously doesn't care if dungeon loot distribution is 'fair' or 'rewarding' which is why it's always such a need roll fest.

At least in low-level dungeons, the gear is irrelevant compared to the xp gains.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
04/26/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Eveyana
DPS, healers and tanks ought to have separate gear with separate, non-amiguous stats.

they used to

there used to be healing power, and spell power. they removed that a few expansions ago and have all casters using spell power now
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Do you think it's ok for Mages to need on Spirit

I don't know why a Mage would need on spirit, ever, unless they just weren't paying attention. As I have done.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I'm a healer and I've already walked several friends through heroics with their just dinged 90 caster DPS alts. They always check to see if I need the spirit gear, and while I almost never do, my answer's the same:

Hit need if it's an upgrade.

Gear in leveling dungeons ain't exactly a big deal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I remember when fire mages got crit from spirit. As for rolling on it now in low lvl stuff like 15-60 who cares a main stat upgrade while lvling is all that matters. Secondary stats are allmost point less. As for 60-85 it matters a little more, but not enough to go QQing to the forums over.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]