Affliction arena viable.

90 Human Warlock
But, just not as good as it ever was in cata.

Current comp i'm running is Fire Mage / Afflic lock / resto druid.
The combination of spread pressure during Dark soul opens up a lot oportunities for the mage to burst. Also you need to use the most disgusting CC chains.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Also you need to use the most disgusting CC chains.

Welcome to wizard mirrors >.<
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You mean you getting carried by a fire mage and resto druid?
JK, how are you doing this?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
the spread pressure from afflic now feels like half of what it was in cata but you still put out almost twice as much damage at the end of a game than everyone else. The problem i have with afflic is just survivability, if they would just give us our old soul link back everything would be back to normal for the most part. I rolled this lock to be tanky, this is a pretty old toon and mop was the first time i ever felt like the class wasnt living up to its old standards of being an outlast class
Edited by Lysern on 4/27/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Yeah I hate to burst your bubble, glad you're enjoying it and all, but you are contributing very little to kills. The Fire Mage is likely killing someone in a deep, you just happen to be on the team.
You do bring good CC and Curse of Elements at least. I've hit 2k+ as Affliction as well, and I can safely say that while topping the ending chart in damage every single game, I am barely contributing to kills at all. All that damage is something most healers' basic HoTs can heal through.
Since Affliction just falls over dead anytime someone looks at them, I've found it useful to offensively gem as well, if you're going to die shortly after the game starts, you might as well get some good dark soul DoTs out first!

The entire design of Affliction this expansion is hurting it's PvP bad, so I have no hope at all that it will be good until next expansion. This may sound dramatic, but it really isn't.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yeah I hate to burst your bubble, glad you're enjoying it and all, but you are contributing very little to kills. The Fire Mage is likely killing someone in a deep, you just happen to be on the team.
You do bring good CC and Curse of Elements at least. I've hit 2k+ as Affliction as well, and I can safely say that while topping the ending chart in damage every single game, I am barely contributing to kills at all. All that damage is something most healers' basic HoTs can heal through.
Since Affliction just falls over dead anytime someone looks at them, I've found it useful to offensively gem as well, if you're going to die shortly after the game starts, you might as well get some good dark soul DoTs out first!

The entire design of Affliction this expansion is hurting it's PvP bad, so I have no hope at all that it will be good until next expansion. This may sound dramatic, but it really isn't.

Well i'm mostly using the pressure from dark soul dots right off the bat to make the other team defensive, the biggest issue we have is our mage getting purge spammed, or else I definatly agree with you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I've been doing shadowplay on my lock, while its not near as dominant as it was, the pressure is still decent enough to pretty much face roll to 1800 or so just by dot spamming, if we ever played more than 10 games per month that is.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

I tend to agree.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Surely you have all realised by now that the devs have tried to stop the old "DOT N FEAR" playstyle of aff that many unskilled key bashers could understand.
Ive played around with enh shamz (difficult playstyle) a bit and can see that with a skilled player...aff definately has some potential. They have just raised the skill cap...keybinds now are insane, 3 channelled spells put i big neon sign over your head but gee...learn to adapt...Aff has become a very multi target (2+) playstyle
Sadly the term peels doesnt get bunged around much anymore. but get a lock that is skilled with their pet cc, then another grim of service..then spammable fear...then also howl or death coil...gee...all other classes would scream for that massive cc chain

If you think PvP is about Dmg...your doing it wrong
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Surely you have all realised by now that the devs have tried to stop the old "DOT N FEAR" playstyle of aff that many unskilled key bashers could understand.
Ive played around with enh shamz (difficult playstyle) a bit and can see that with a skilled player...aff definately has some potential. They have just raised the skill cap...keybinds now are insane, 3 channelled spells put i big neon sign over your head but gee...learn to adapt...Aff has become a very multi target (2+) playstyle
Sadly the term peels doesnt get bunged around much anymore. but get a lock that is skilled with their pet cc, then another grim of service..then spammable fear...then also howl or death coil...gee...all other classes would scream for that massive cc chain

Affliction has always been a very multi-target playstyle.

Affliction has always used multiple channeled spells in pvp.

Affliction has always been key-bind intensive

No Warlock, so far as I am aware, complains about Affliction's control.

I'm as casual a pvper as they come and I understand this. How come you don't?

You'd think that someone might understand this before being so obnoxious in tone.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

I don't even know what to say to this. It's just...

Please go post this in the Arena forum. I want to see how hard you get flamed.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Nobody will take you seriously because all of this is just silly.

Yes locks have great cc, even though they lost cc baseline compared to last expansion.
UA locks have always had a higher skillcap than most classes, and IMO it's at an all-time low.
Damage is PvP, why do you think thug cleave and god comp are good? Why was Warrior so good last season? Because they kill in seconds. I can CC a healer for 20sec pretty much by myself, while keeping DoTs out, and not kill anyone.
Afflictions defenses, while great on paper, are terrible in game as well. Lock has no mobility and just eats it from melee.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Affliction has always been a very multi-target playstyle.

Affliction has always used multiple channeled spells in pvp.

Affliction has always been key-bind intensive

No Warlock, so far as I am aware, complains about Affliction's control.

I'm as casual a pvper as they come and I understand this. How come you don't?

You'd think that someone might understand this before being so obnoxious in tone.

Well ok....so I get flamed...fair enough..I havnt played lock since WoTLK and cannot remember ever using drain soul in an arena, and MG wasnt around then..there was only 1 channelled spell.

I dont remember having this many keybinds at all, there was no soul swap, MG and DS add 2 more but then again I guess Coil and howl sort of cancel a keybind in there. I would have to say affliction keybinds are now excessive IMO to be competitive, thats all I was trying to point out, more keybinds = greater skillcap

I wasnt complaining about lock cc? I was just saying how lucky we are?

I didnt mean to sound obnoxious, this a forum and I was telling it as I see it after being away from the class for a fair while, and also having a bit of experience with other classes

meh..

Ima go post on arena forum now about which is most important in arena...

DPS or CC

Im quite happy to be corrected, I just always thought it was CC first...dps 2nd

If your CC'd...you cant DPS, heal or CC someone else? Peels is how you set up a kill?

Ill put a link here for follow up of that for amusement to you all in a few days
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Buff Affliction DoTs a lot
Nerf Haunt
Remove Soulburn: Soul Swap
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I claim to have done arenas in WotLK and that there was only one channeled spell.

I'm obviously either lying or exaggerating about my PvP experience since there were, in fact, three channeled spells: Drain Soul, Drain Life, and the most complained-about, Drain Mana. Please take anything I say with a grain of salt because I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I fixed it for you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I claim to have done arenas in WotLK and that there was only one channeled spell.

I'm obviously either lying or exaggerating about my PvP experience since there were, in fact, three channeled spells: Drain Soul, Drain Life, and the most complained-about, Drain Mana. Please take anything I say with a grain of salt because I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I fixed it for you.

Yes you did...I dont remember drain mana but it was there.
I guess I better do the old
/wow quit

I never lied though.
It was probably 10000 beers ago..no excuse I know

Shame on me
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]