Raiders who quit

90 Tauren Warrior
People talk about WoW like it's reality or something important.

I insist that everyone in my raid group wear Depends to maximize playtime.
Reply Quote
In the end it's just a game.

When other people are involved, typical social conventions apply. When you call to order takeout you say hello and goodbye even though it's a complete stranger on the other end of the line. When you take the pizza from the delivery guy you say goodbye without just closing the door in his face.

The people you raid with are deserve the same courtesy (circumstances permitting).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Nothing says loyalty like !@#$ting your pants, I always say.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
My raiders are required to keep an empty soda bottle and poop sock on hand during all raids. Bathroom breaks are for noobs.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
In the end it's just a game.

When other people are involved, typical social conventions apply.

That's a perfect way of summing it up.

For some reason, people apply special rules to WoW raiding because it's a video game. Put the same situation into a real world application, and those people would react differently. Compare raiding to a softball team.

You're on a summer softball team with some co-workers, or friends. You've got 10 people on your team. It's just a hobby. You don't even get together for practice. Win-Lose stats don't mean a whole lot, and while you can all agree who the best player on your team is, no one can pull up a spreadsheet showing OBP, slugging stats, RBI, etc. It's "just a game" in the purest sense -- every Wednesday night, you all show up and play for a couple hours, then have a beer afterwards.

In that case, how would you feel about just not showing up any more? Would you feel at all obliged to let the team captain know "Hey dude, I just can't play any more" or give an after-the-fact call to say "Sorry I wasn't there last night, but my schedule is just too busy now for games."

Most people would say, sure, they at least owe their team a little heads up before they completely ditch the team.

Now the reason for giving the same courtesy in a WoW raid group are even stronger. If you leave a softball team, all the captain needs to do is find another warm body who knows how to catch and throw. There's no "gearing up" in a casual softball league. You don't get glove and bat upgrades when you defeat your rival team.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The game of WoW has changed from being all about getting into a good team to all about "me me me my gear my time" etc. LFR and everything else cross-realm is partially to blame as people who are not serious gamers in the first place get jaded by their LFR experiences and feel like if it's so easy for people in LFR not to care about others, then it must be just as easy in normal teams. Even when someone goes out of their way to help them the bottom line for them is that one piece of gear they want. They don't care about anything else and due to their (misguided) self-importance feel that everything is owed to them. I've had people start off with "thank you for giving me this opportunity to raid" and end with "what do you mean you put someone else in". No thought towards the others in the team whatsoever. And my guild, in my experience, has far fewer of these kinds than many others that I've seen. Hardcore guilds with multiple trials discourage that; but on low-pop servers that many of us got stuck on we must deal with people who are so full of themselves they manage to justify their behaviour, if only to themselves.
Reply Quote
35 Human Paladin
^^ This post reminds me a lot of myself. I work in the natural gas industry, and have played alongside ton of military players. There are times where I am literally woken up at night and moved to another drill site that may be so remote, the only way of communication is CB radio. I can count plenty of times where this happened and I had literally no internet connection or cell phone reception for over a month. Same goes with players sometimes getting deployed or moved with barely any notice, or the last thing on their mind is to log into WoW.

What I am trying to get at, it isn't always being selfish.

If you raid with a team 2 times a week for over a year, even in that scenario you can take 5 mins to log in before you go and send a quick note. "Hey can't raid anymore."

Or if you're in that situation let your RL know it's a possibility you could be gone in the middle of the night and not return so if it happens they know.

I mean, if it's messy I understand just walking away but in my case the guy just walked away. I'm not aware of any issues. Regardless, it's pretty nonconfrontational to just send an in game mail that you won't be back.
Edited by Sarvath on 5/6/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]