Healing: stressful job

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm finding healing in MoP most stressful. No, not the LFR healing but healing normal 10 mans, such as ToT. Jin'rokh is the only fight that I did not find stressful to heal but Horridon, Tortos and Megaera gave me grey hairs. Horridon was just frustrating to say the least. Seeing my assignment's HP dropping to like 20% in 1 second is not fun and I always feel panicky that my heal doesn't land in time and he dies. And Megaera has times when the whole raid drops to like 10-20% HP and I feel like my heals just aren't big enough to heal them back up fast, not to mention I have to always pray I don't oom before my regen CD becomes available again. Does anyone else feel the same way, that healing became really stressful?
Reply Quote
65 Dwarf Shaman
04/30/2013 07:48 AMPosted by Iniq
Seeing my assignment's HP dropping to like 20% in 1 second is not fun and I always feel panicky that my heal doesn't land in time and he dies.

If your tank (I'm assuming the Horridon tank) was dipping to 20% in one horn strike then the problem is not healing but your tank not knowing what to do. Even when we first hit ToT (we only had some normal T14 gear and lots of LFR stuff), our tanks never dipped down that fast on Horridon unless they messed up big.

04/30/2013 07:48 AMPosted by Iniq
And Megaera has times when the whole raid drops to like 10-20% HP and I feel like my heals just aren't big enough to heal them back up fast,

Assuming you're killing green and red heads, yeah there will be some fun damage around, however should still be doable. My raid opts to kill Blue and Red heads instead, which results in some less damage due to no poison bombs but we do get to move around a lot. Different strategies lead to different results; just find out which one suits your group the most. Rampages are a big stackfest that can be healed with ease if you have a good CD rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Assuming you're killing green and red heads, yeah there will be some fun damage around, however should still be doable. My raid opts to kill Blue and Red heads instead, which results in some less damage due to no poison bombs but we do get to move around a lot. Different strategies lead to different results; just find out which one suits your group the most. Rampages are a big stackfest that can be healed with ease if you have a good CD rotation.

Yeah, we were doing Green and Red. And Rampages were varying from really easy to heal at fight to moderate near the end. But green Poison aoe damage was getting ridiculous near the end and we couldn't outheal it, having 2 tanks to heal ontop of everyone else dropping to like 20-10% hp was just too hard. Blue and red sounds like a plan though.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
MoP is the first expansion in which I've healed through progression/current content. (Previously, I'd only tanked in progression, healing only on alt/farm runs.) And, to me at least, healing is much less stressful. Tanking, until the fight was on steady farm, I was constantly having to check my positioning, assess threat/defense, correct for errors ... ugh. And no matter what, DPS playing messes with me.

What makes healing easier is recognizing that there is sometimes damage that you just can't fix.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

What makes healing easier is recognizing that there is sometimes damage that you just can't fix.

Although this is true but seeing tons of damage going out at once still stresses me out. I think the damage in normal ToT is too high for average skill groups to deal with. Not everyone runs with pro dps and tanks who can mitigate damage well and stay outta the bad stuff. And as the result it's the healers who always end up getting grey hairs over it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
my issue stems form the fact that i do the world bosses each week and it seems the second i send a renew or coh out, im flagged for pvp and getting corpse camped by a bunch of horde. its happend 3 times this xpac and thats with me not playing for half that time.

SO YES BEING A HEALERS STRESSFULL!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Although this is true but seeing tons of damage going out at once still stresses me out. I think the damage in normal ToT is too high for average skill groups to deal with. Not everyone runs with pro dps and tanks who can mitigate damage well and stay outta the bad stuff. And as the result it's the healers who always end up getting grey hairs over it.

Except that it isn't. A failure of people to not stand in bad and increasing your raid's damage taken does not mean that the damage in ToT is too high for an average group. If your group can't avoid avoidable to the point that it is causing massive healing issues means your dps/tanks are not running at an average level.
Reply Quote

Except that it isn't. A failure of people to not stand in bad and increasing your raid's damage taken does not mean that the damage in ToT is too high for an average group. If your group can't avoid avoidable to the point that it is causing massive healing issues means your dps/tanks are not running at an average level.

I'm gonna have to agree with this.

Standing in mechanics and not using mitigation CDs correctly as a tank is not average play, it's below average.

Everyone gets hit by certain avoidable mechanics by accident every now and again. If the damage from avoidable mechanics is causing healing issues, however, then something is wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I think the biggest issue as a healer this expansion in terms of stress is the amount of healing that needs to be done while moving or while avoiding <insert whatever here>. I seriously want to cry on tortos after a quake because I have half the raid needing healing and I've used up all my chi with no way to get any more without channeling soothing mists.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I'm dividing fights into "needs mitigation or has damage modifiers to cheese the fight with atonement" and "holy crap I need to run like a headless chicken while healing like mad". They are discipline and holy respectively.

ToT is holy for Tortos, Lei Shen, and H Jin Rok (I did normal as discipline but that wouldn't have mattered).
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I personally actually enjoy the extra work that is healing. I REALLY enjoy the fights that have those high damage periods where you're pumping out every last bit of juice just to keep your raid alive, because then it feels like you're really contributing something.

Playing snipe wars versus other healers isn't terribly fun for me, and it goes against how I prefer to heal personally (when I mained a holy priest, my goal in life was to minimize my overheal to conserve mana while maintaining my assignments. I found myself able to do a lot more with a lot less and often times keep up with much better geared players because I had mana when it counted).

Maybe the healers life isn't for you? Or perhaps your heal team isn't meshing amazingly well. I know for a fact when we first start progressing on new fights (Megaera is a great one for this) the healing can be crazy intense. As you go on and make the stated cooldown rotations, you as a team start feeling out what the others have covered so you're overall job outside of those cooldowns is significantly easier.

We 2 healed our first Heroic Ji-Kun kill, we though our chances pretty slim since most groups 3 healed it for their first and there's a large amount of damage that can go out. A lot of our first pulls were terrifying to watch (I was stuck as a tank but I still think like a healer when watching raid frames). By our 20th attempt though, the damage intake was much better, and I wasn't fretting over people dying unless they did something stupid (oops I stood in a puddle during quills).

Every attempt you find new ways to be more efficient. Every attempt you improve. That's what I love about being a healer. Generally, even during shorter pulls you're constantly learning how to do the fight better. Just keep pushing and relax.

My odd thing is that I like to simulate conducting an orchestra when I heal. Each heal a different section rising to the crescendo, each cooldown a tempo change. I really got into this during Heroic 25 Blood-Queen Lana'thel on my holy priest, but its been what I do for ages. Find your groove and you'll enjoy it more!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It's only fun when it's challenging. Healing farm content quickly becomes monotonous.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Personally, it just seems that Tanks and Healers need to communicate a little bit more than they had to in previous expansions
Reply Quote
I think the biggest issue as a healer this expansion in terms of stress is the amount of healing that needs to be done while moving or while avoiding <insert whatever here>. I seriously want to cry on tortos after a quake because I have half the raid needing healing and I've used up all my chi with no way to get any more without channeling soothing mists.

Chi Brew is amazing, and get to 3145 haste!!
Edited by Geefers on 5/3/2013 4:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
72 Pandaren Monk

My odd thing is that I like to simulate conducting an orchestra when I heal. Each heal a different section rising to the crescendo, each cooldown a tempo change. I really got into this during Heroic 25 Blood-Queen Lana'thel on my holy priest, but its been what I do for ages. Find your groove and you'll enjoy it more!

WTB this mod! Guitar Hero for wow anyone?
Edited by Qilo on 5/3/2013 4:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Not so much a guitar hero mod lol. Its just the mindset I have as I heal.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Healer is the role that compensates for everyone else's bad. If Horridon is spiking your tanks tell them to l2p. Use something before the tripple puncture.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah ToT is not overtuned in the damage department. My group is 6/12 because A) we raid 6 hours a week and B) we are not comprised of hardcores. We have average players and we easily 2 heal most of these fights.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Healer is the role that compensates for everyone else's bad. If Horridon is spiking your tanks tell them to l2p. Use something before the tripple puncture.

Also Horridon is one of the first bosses I have found in a while that healers can not carry. Most fights I can just buckle down and go crazy and carry some bads. Healers can not do that on Horridon, he requires an entire raid to play well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]