keyboard and mouse stop working in game.

90 Dwarf Death Knight
Hello, I have been having a issue lately where when i log in and enter game on some characters that the keyboard and mouse wont work.
The cursor still moves around but i cant click on any npc's. The only button that works when clicked on is the computer icon. It usually gets fixed when i close the client and restart the client.
We are having this issue with the 3 systems we use in this house hold
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Nitewulfe,

If it's happening on 3 different systems in your home, it's likely being caused by something they all share such as the internet connection. Could you try power-cycling the modem and router you use?

"A working class hero is something to be...."

Please provide feedback! - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Omrakos
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Its odd, it doesnt happen to all at the same time. One character may have it happening but another may not. Some times changing to a different character and back will fix it some times it takes a client restart.
The curser still works, I can mouse over things and the tool tips will show up. but clicking on things does nothing. The only clickable items are the ones on the system bar.
Modems been rebooted and all that to be sure. Its unpredictable. I may go all day with out it happening or i may have it happen on the first toon i log into.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Nitewulfe,

Are you using the same account on all 3 computers in your house? Are you using wireless keyboards and mice on all 3 machines? Have you tried resetting the UI yet on any of the computers?

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Nitewulfe,

Are you using the same account on all 3 computers in your house? Are you using wireless keyboards and mice on all 3 machines? Have you tried https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/resetting-the-world-of-warcraft-user-interface?utm_source= internal-support_forums&utm_medium= posting &utm_campaign=BlizzardCS&utm_content=042613" class="bml-link-url2">resetting the UI</a> yet on any of the computers?

Please provide feedback! - <a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Omrakos

No to the same accounts. My wife has hers, and me and my son each have accounts. The ones me and my son have are on the same bnet (thats ok right up till he is no longer a minor?)
No to the wireless parts. My wife and i do use the same brand and model of keyboard and mouse. Our sons keyboard and mouse of not the same brand.
yes to trying reset wtf files and caches.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Nitewulfe,

It's got to be something shared then and that brings us back to the connection.

Are any or all of you using a wireless connection to the internet?

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Nitewulfe,

It's got to be something shared then and that brings us back to the connection.

Are any or all of you using a wireless connection to the internet?

No, they do all connect to the same router and that router connects to a dsl modem.
If this was the case would it be happening to all 3 at the same time? it appears completely random. I may have it happen on one of my toons but not on my wifes or my sons and so on.
I am also very confused as to why the mouse cursor will move around and bring up tooltips but wont allow me to interact with the world but i can interact with the system bar.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Nitewulfe ,

To narrow this down and help eliminate possible causes, you'd need to concentrate on one PC and hook it up directly to the modem and test the game until it happens again or doesn't. This will of course effectively keep your other two PCs off the internet so it's not exactly an ideal situation, but it's less costly than replacing hardware if it's not necessary. As a tech I need to eliminate causes and that's how I'd do it if spare parts weren't available. Your symptoms just don't make any logical sense unless there's a connection problem affecting all three PCs.

When you reset the UIs in the PCs, you did remove or rename the Interface folder, correct? You didn't actually confirm completing that step and it's the only way to remove the addons as a potential problem.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Nitewulfe ,

To narrow this down and help eliminate possible causes, you'd need to concentrate on one PC and hook it up directly to the modem and test the game until it happens again or doesn't. This will of course effectively keep your other two PCs off the internet so it's not exactly an ideal situation, but it's less costly than replacing hardware if it's not necessary. As a tech I need to eliminate causes and that's how I'd do it if spare parts weren't available. Your symptoms just don't make any logical sense unless there's a connection problem affecting all three PCs.

When you reset the UIs in the PCs, you did remove or rename the Interface folder, correct? You didn't actually confirm completing that step and it's the only way to remove the addons as a potential problem.

Ill give it a shot and get back to you. Its sort of spotty so not sure how long it will take to confirm. Like today. It happened to me maybe 3 times out of 8 to 9 hours of play time and happened zero to my wifes ( son was not on today).

I renamed the folders played till it happened again then named them back since it had no effect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]