Launcher is redownloading entire 23gb client

25 Blood Elf Paladin
So I was having some loot issues that have apparently been rather common since the last patch and I checked another thread here to find that sometimes deleting the Cache, WTF, and Interface folders helps. So I did that, and not only do I still have the looting problem but now the client is trying to re-download 23gb of data.

This is despite the fact that I can bypass the launcher and run the executable directly and still get a normal client, albeit with some things such as character backgrounds missing. Even as I do this though, the game has started downloading "important data" while I play, causing my latency to skyrocket. I don't even know if this new data is replacing what's already there or if it's all going to a new folder and filling my hard-drive with a second WoW client.

What's going on? And how do I stop it? This is a much worse problem than the looting one.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Hello Vyrin,

There are a few things you can try that may resolve the issue.

First, run the Launcher and then run the Repair tool. If the tools are reading the game files as corrupt, this will force them to be re-verified.

Then you could try deleting your Battle.net folder, then run a WoW installer and re-install to the location of your existing install. You will see it sit at "Installing... 0.0%" for a while (its checking your files), then once that's complete it should detect that you have all the files (or at least most) present and show the game as up to date.

Let me know if that works out for you.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
I have tried both of those solutions. The repair tool completes and then it resumed the massive download regardless.

I deleted the Battle.net folder and then relaunched the launcher, and it briefly said "initializing" before resuming the download. I tried redownloading a client launcher from Battle.net and it also resumed the same download. Is there a separate installer I am supposed to use?
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Yes, you want to run an actual Setup.exe from https://us.battle.net/account/management/

That will give you an install screen where you can attempt to re-install the game to your existing location.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Hmmm.

Are you sure you didn't accidently delete the Data folder ?

Can you look in your recycle bin to check if there's a Data folder in there ?
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmmm.

Are you sure you didn't accidently delete the Data folder ?

Can you look in your recycle bin to check if there's a Data folder in there ?

I did. All the data is there, although there is one ridiculously large, 18gb temp file called "placeholderArchive.temp"

Yes, you want to run an actual Setup.exe from https://us.battle.net/account/management/

That will give you an install screen where you can attempt to re-install the game to your existing location.

I have downloaded two seperate enUS setup.exe's and both simply resume the download.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
I did. All the data is there, although there is one ridiculously large, 18gb temp file called "placeholderArchive.temp"

Weird.

placeholderArchive.temp was a bug in a previous version of wow.

Try restarting your computer then deleting that temp file.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
04/26/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Bluspacecow

Weird.

placeholderArchive.temp was a bug in a previous version of wow.

Try restarting your computer then deleting that temp file.

I did this when I got home today. It did nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I'm having this issue now, any suggestions other than the above?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]