Holy: Mastery vs Crit?

90 Human Priest
Hey there Priest forums! I've been hearing a lot of differing opinions on whether to gear for crit or mastery after hitting the second Haste breakpoint. I've always been under the impression that Holy's Mastery was fantastic, so I've never been all that fond of crit. I'd really like to know if I'm unintentionally hampering myself with that mindset.

So, in your opinions, should I be going for Mastery or Crit as a 10 man Holy Priest?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I personally tend to try and make my gem'ing and reforging bill as little as possible, but I have excellent luck with

Haste > Mastery> Crit

Edited for Clarification: After reaching the 2nd haste breakpoint--

I find that Echo of light interacts quite well with Renew, as sort of a back-up HoT during high movement encounters. I wouldn't say it's incredibly strong, nor would I ever advocate stacking mastery with priority over haste. However, I find people highly under-estimate how helpful that extra hot can be if you've already met your primary reforge goal.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/26/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Actually, Mastery is Renew's worst stat. Mastery only effects the instant heal from Rapid Renewal, and nothing else. Additionally, Lightspring/well does not benefit from Mastery. Nor does HW:Sanctuary, but that spell is almost always worthless to use.

When I reforge for Holy, I aim for the 3039 Haste breakpoint and stack Mastery. So, while I am favoring Haste and Mastery, my Crit tends to be higher than my Haste on my character sheet simply from Intellect alone.

You can read more about Holy's stats here: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1613#stats
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Mastery has better scaling than Crit and Holy doesn't really have anything like DA to make Crit attractive, making it mostly an overheal stat.
Edited by Nixxin on 4/26/2013 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Actually, Mastery is Renew's worst stat. Mastery only effects the instant heal from Rapid Renewal, and nothing else. Additionally, Lightspring/well does not benefit from Mastery. Nor does HW:Sanctuary, but that spell is almost always worthless to use.

When I reforge for Holy, I aim for the 3039 Haste breakpoint and stack Mastery. So, while I am favoring Haste and Mastery, my Crit tends to be higher than my Haste on my character sheet simply from Intellect alone.

You can read more about Holy's stats here: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1613#stats

I think she said after she hits the 2nd haste breakpoint, where should she dump stats into, or did I read that wrong?

After 2nd haste breakpoint, is it not preferable to take a bit of mastery over crit?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Ah, your post was unclear to me. It sounded like you meant that Echo interacts well with Renew, as in the EoL that Rapid Renewal applies, not EoL from other sources.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ah, your post was unclear to me. It sounded like you meant that Echo interacts well with Renew, as in the EoL that Rapid Renewal applies, not EoL from other sources.

I thought you might have.

I'll adjust it for future readers as well.

What I meant to convey is that after the 2nd haste break point, I find that EoL is quite nice. It's certainly not powerful, and it pales in comparison to the extra ticks from the haste break points. But it's definitely something and is generally more reliable than crit when stacking smaller %.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Much appreciated, guys! It's been bugging me for a while. Good to know I don't need to start pouring stats into crit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
No problem! (*cough* the guide from howtopriest and most of what's on the website is gold *cough*)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Am i the only one that thinks that EoL needs work? i just think it could stack, cap, and crit better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I stack haste to the 4721 breakpoint, then all mastery afterward. Never been a fan of crit for holy, ever.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Am i the only one that thinks that EoL needs work? i just think it could stack, cap, and crit better.

It is far and away the worst of the healer masteries. I'd argue that it's one of the worst masteries in the game. Once you add in overheal and the spells it doesn't affect, it ends up being essentially neck-and-neck with critical (which isn't exactly an overpowering stat for Holy). It's also conceptually strange for the premiere burst healing spec - the Resto Shaman mastery would make far sense (although it makes sense for Resto Shaman as well). Personally, I think it would work a lot better as a simple increase to critical strike modifier (2.5%/point would be about right) but that might cause scaling difficulties (it would mean that mastery and critical were synergistic).

In any case, mastery vs. critical is almost entirely based on what you're doing. If you spend most of your time in Sanctuary Chakra, mastery is probably the better choice. If you spend most of your time in Serenity or Chastise Chakra, critical is clearly the better choice.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
A vid showing why mastery over crit: http://youtu.be/a6ERXXOBpY4
Renew and holy word: sanctuary are the two spells that don't benifit from mastery, but even with echoes of light going into overheal or renew/hw:sanc making up 10% of your spell casting time, it's best to go for mastery. Haste is still the best for throughput. I'm a fan of geming/chanting/forging spirit, 4721 haste, then mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
GG
it's not good, it's overpowered. because it's escapism to take the not best stat, and escapism rules.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I prefer crit, and this xpac has been a first to allow me to indulge without sacrificing spirit. Haste is my secondary only to a point of having a comfortable hard cast speed. The renew breakpoint has never been something I've actively attempted to obtain, and doesn't factor into my stat choices at all.

Despite holy not having crit based modifiers/talents, it's the icing on the cake for a healer that has the greatest burst potential that doesn't require a CD.

Our 10m raids with 3 healers (r sham, h pally, and myself), but there are certain fights where I'm the primary tank healer (Ji'kun H, I'm on the platform the entire time while the other two play nest frogger), and on Tortos H (we're still working on this boss) we two heal with myself and a holy pally. I've been having a "stat"dentity crisis (happens at least once each tier) with playing around with everything from heavy haste, mastery, spell power, & spirit. Crit has been the stat I feel that I get the most mileage from.

I don't see myself changing my preference anytime soon unless I can get my hands on enough mastery & crit pieces to go with about 20% of both and still retain around 13k spirit. Those two stats are beastly together when I tried them out recently, but I wasn't comfortable enough with my regen to stick it out for tougher fight.

Mastery is good for fights with a lot of consistent aoe damage that isn't particularly spikey; but I've always hated how much it overheals, and it doesn't seem to quite cut it for type of damage in Throne which is extremely spikey. Going over logs and seeing 60% + from mastery overhealing makes me sad.
Edited by Circenn on 4/26/2013 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Given that I'm my 10 player raid's 3rd healer and I'm mostly DPS my shadow gear priority is Hit/Spirit to cap > Haste > Crit > Mastery so when I do heal I go reforge most of the same pieces it to Spirit > Mastery > Crit > Haste which usually results in my having a pretty balanced setup which I think works well for Holy as opposed to stat stacking.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]