Mistweaver Spirit

90 Pandaren Monk
Hello! I was just curious at what spirit that I should stop gemming spirit? I've seen multiple people say 8.5k spirit with 10k at the max. Is this true? Also, should I drop Ascension for Chi Brew or Power Strikes and still maintain the 8.5k-10k spirit? Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
10k was a comfortable point pre-legendary meta gem. But imo at ToT gear levels MWs shouldn't be gemming spirit anymore. Gem for int or crit (crit's apparently fairly competitive with int in regards to throughput).

Also make sure you have 3145 or 6141 haste in Tiger Stance. You should be at least trying for that first RM breakpoint.

Spirit amount is going to vary upon context but MW regen is really good, and just gets absurdly good once you get the legendary meta.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hello! I was just curious at what spirit that I should stop gemming spirit? I've seen multiple people say 8.5k spirit with 10k at the max. Is this true? Also, should I drop Ascension for Chi Brew or Power Strikes and still maintain the 8.5k-10k spirit? Thanks!

You can get away with any spirit level as a MW monk, anything below 10k is fine.

Also yes get rid of ascension for Chi brew or power strikes. You'll gain extra throughput for free.

A lot of mana regen comes from mana tea procs. The higher int/crit level you have the more spirit you can drop. The lowest you can possibly go is 5100 (to keep hit cap)
Edited by Suplift on 4/27/2013 4:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
with my gear level i like to keep around 9500 spirit other then that i got for int/crit gems
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Awesome! Thanks guys!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
alot of people are quick to dismiss ascension for mistweaver but there's things about it they don't see.

ALL of mistweavers mana returns are based on your total mana pool (mana tea and muscle memory) so that 45000 extra mana actually makes abilities cost less.

That 45000 mana is also an extra 45000 mana you start every fight with. Something you dont get with chi brew or power strikes.

There's also the 5 chi capacity ascension brings. Sometimes soothing mist'll generate 4 maybe 5 chi on its own.. add in a power strikes proc with just a 4 chi soothing mist and you've probably wasted chi because it built up faster than you could think to use it.

So don't be so quick to drop ascension.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
alot of people are quick to dismiss ascension for mistweaver but there's things about it they don't see.

ALL of mistweavers mana returns are based on your total mana pool (mana tea and muscle memory) so that 45000 extra mana actually makes abilities cost less.

That 45000 mana is also an extra 45000 mana you start every fight with. Something you dont get with chi brew or power strikes.

There's also the 5 chi capacity ascension brings. Sometimes soothing mist'll generate 4 maybe 5 chi on its own.. add in a power strikes proc with just a 4 chi soothing mist and you've probably wasted chi because it built up faster than you could think to use it.

What...? How does 45000 mana make your spells cost less exactly?

45k extra mana + 1800 mana per charge of mana tea doesn't mean anything considering it's difficult to go oom as it is. Also Chi > Mana, not only does generating free chi give more mp5 than ascension but it also gives you throughput (which is something that is really good)

Also how do you sit on chi as a mistweaver? Are you just not spending chi ?

Btw, it's not that we dismiss ascension because we hate mana. We dismiss it because it's not very good compared to power strikes or chi brew
Edited by Suplift on 4/30/2013 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

What...? How does 45000 mana make your spells cost less exactly?

45k extra mana + 1800 mana per charge of mana tea doesn't mean anything considering it's difficult to go oom as it is. Also Chi > Mana, not only does generating free chi give more mp5 than ascension but it also gives you throughput (which is something that is really good)

Btw, it's not that we dismiss ascension because we hate mana. We dismiss it because it's not very good compared to power strikes or chi brew

It was poorly worded, but what he was trying to say is that your abilities cost a fixed amount of your BASE mana pool (300k), and your mana return abilities return an amount based on your maximum mana; i.e. Ascension makes your Mana Tea and Muscle Memory return 15% more mana. Thus your spells cost less mana relative to what your mana restoration abilities refund - Jab in particular since it should always be followed by a Muscle Memory ability.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
[quote="87277788367]What...? How does 45000 mana make your spells cost less exactly?

Btw, it's not that we dismiss ascension because we hate mana. We dismiss it because it's not very good compared to power strikes or chi brew [/quote]

That 1800 mana per tea charge and mm proc adds up in a hurry when doing heavy fistweaving. For those without the meta in groups without lots of mana tides and the like where mana actually can matter this can be important. I note that most of the people dismissing ascension out of hand at least have the meta and it wouldn't surprise me if they also regularly run with resto shaman. Those two elements completely alter the entire mana equation changing it from something to manage caarefully into something of a joke.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I don't have any mana tides and choose the same talent before I had the meta gem.

The only fight in ToT where you do heavy fistweaving is H Horridon, even then ascension is a clutch. You can't say having 45k mana + 1800 mana per charge of mana tea is better than a throughput cooldown or consistent chi generation.

Other than that, I can't see what else having less mp5 and throughput would be useful for?

The reason mana is a joke now is mainly because of the amount of haste we have and how that scales with horridon's, as well as the higher crit levels we have now. Even in low end gear levels, soothing mist consumes next to zero mana and renewing mist doesn't cost as much as it used to.
Edited by Suplift on 5/1/2013 4:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm sitting at about exactly 10k right now, and I have 0 mana issues. I could definitely drop more spirit in favor of other stats, but my guild is about to start working on heroics here in the coming weeks and I'm not exactly sure how much I'll need to be at a comfortable place healing them.

Once you get the legendary meta you can definitely drop a TON of spirit. That thing is absolutely godly.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I've been dropping as much spirit as I can. With two regen trinkets and the meta I've found myself multiple times having more than 80% mana and 20 stacks of tea.

But until you get the meta and a couple of good regen trinkets spirit is yummy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I've been dropping as much spirit as I can. With two regen trinkets and the meta I've found myself multiple times having more than 80% mana and 20 stacks of tea.

But until you get the meta and a couple of good regen trinkets spirit is yummy.

gets better with higher ilvl's of Horridon's
Edited by Suplift on 5/2/2013 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]