Gearing Strategy post ilvl520?

90 Human Paladin
Assuming one is stacking Haste and capping Hit/Exp:
Around Ilvl 520 (12688 haste) one gets enough haste to get the global cooldown to 1 second and 8 Sacred Shields ticks per cast. In my opinion this is where I would stop stacking it. I notice however that some of the "best" prot pallies in the world stack haste even at 15000+. Thoughts?

PROS to going well over 12688 haste:
- More Sacred Shields.
- More white swings
- More Insight heals. More battle healer heals.
- More holy power (assuming priority = HP generation)

CONS:
- Loss of free globals for Holy wrath and utility.
- Heroism drops even farther in value
- Consecrate gets even more difficult to not overwrite.

QUESTION:
Do you agree with me that 12688 is a nice soft cap for haste and if so what stat should be the next priority?

(I feel like the 52% reduction I get from SotR is more than enough and I'd rather just keep at 12688 haste and swap in a stam trinket when I get the Lei Shen one.)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Would help if you made the distinction of what Spec you're talking about

But I'm guessing Prot yes?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Armory says you're at 29.93% haste with 12,722 haste. The 1-second GCD soft cap is at 50%.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12688 is the 50% mark assuming raid buffs.
And we're talking about spell haste since Melee haste doesn't relate to much of anything except white swings. On topic please. Answers not answering the Original question are just troll/derail posts. As is arguing with this post.

Should I go for more Haste or more Stamina now?
Edited by Capital on 5/1/2013 11:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
...Since when can you get 20% melee haste through raid buffs? Since when can you get any melee haste from raid buffs?

Attack Speed aura is not true haste, it's just a buff to your white swings.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ok, some education first I suppose.

Spell haste governs your Global cooldown, ability cooldowns duration (Crusader strike, judgement, etc), and Sacred Shield ticks.

^^^^^^^
Edit: This is half wrong.

If you have 30% without Seal of Insight you will have 1.30 x 1.1 x 1.05 = 1.5015 with Insight and spell haste buff. This takes 12688 haste rating.

Read Theck's guide to Prot pallies first. This is not a L2ProtPally thread. I suppose trolls will still dominate it though.
Edited by Capital on 5/1/2013 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Spell haste does not affect Sanctity of Battle for either Ret or Prot because it's not melee haste, which means it will only speed up the global on actual spells - which, at the very least, is not CS or J. And it will do nothing for ACDs (that is, ability cooldowns).

Insight is a casting speed increase, not true haste - and it certainly isn't melee haste. That particular misinterpretation of "speed" and "haste" is what got SoB screwed on raid buffs converting to MoP from Cata, since it used to work with spell haste aura but not attack speed aura; players wanted it to work wit attack speed aura, but said "melee haste" - which does not exist as an individual buff.
Edited by Grôgnárd on 5/1/2013 11:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I suppose trolls will still dominate it though.

And with that kindof attitude, why are you expecting people to help you?

Though you appear to have a good grasp of the class, why are you asking us 'trolls'?

If you feel your haste is in a good enough spot that you'd rather focus on mitigation do that, are your healers complaining you take too much damage? Get more mitigation?

If there is a guide that answers all of this why ask here?

Perhaps one should drop the air of smugness before asking for opinions.

The best "prots' in the world are just part of a whole, I'm sure whatever they're doing is best for their comp or playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you feel your haste is in a good enough spot that you'd rather focus on mitigation do that, are your healers complaining you take too much damage? Get more mitigation?

Yeah I guess I am looking for insight from Players that have reached the 1 sec global threashold before I did and what their rational for gear choices were beyond there.

I don't feel like I ever take too much damage. I have yet to attempt Heroic Horridon though for example so insight I want relates to how great Prot Pallies feel about damage in fights like that.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
No one in this thread has been trolling you, in fact you've been brushing off some of the more knowledgeable posters in these forums.

If you're too arrogant or full of yourself to discuss and defend your point when people are trying to work with you then don't ask for help.

You act as if it's a favor to be allowed to assist you.

Head over to some of the theory crafting websites with this kind of posting attitude, it'd be funny to watch you laughed right back out.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 5/1/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If your Crusader Strike cooldown doesn't say 3.00s, you're not haste-capped.

...theoretically though, once you reach that point, I guess you'd want to stack mastery or something? *shrug*
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Insight is a casting speed increase, not true haste - and it certainly isn't melee haste.

It's actual spell haste, not just casting speed. Blizzard really needs to fix those errors.

But, as mentioned, spell haste has no effect on ability cooldowns. Neither does the attack speed from the attack speed raid buff. Thus, the melee haste you have unbuffed is your real haste as far as Sanctity of Battle is concerned.

I'd love to see anywhere post-MoP where Theck said that spell haste affects Sanctity of Battle.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My crusader strike is 3 seconds. My flash of light says 1 second. Sacred Shield is 32sec duration with 8x 4sec ticks.

If I seem smug it's just frustration at those who would debate FACTs with theory (that is incorrect). Diluting the whole thread with nonsense. Those who my post is requesting info from will have to sift through this garbage.
Edited by Capital on 5/1/2013 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
My flash of light says 1 second. Sacred Shield is 32sec duration with 8x 4sec ticks.

Those are spells. They scale with spell haste. If you have 50% spell haste, then yeah, they'll already be GCD capped. But your non-spell abilities won't be.

Also if you really really want proof, check your CS/Judgment cooldowns with and without raid buffs. They won't change.
Edited by Keten on 5/1/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Switch between Seal of Truth and Seal of Insight and watch your coldown for crusader strike change even though your melee haste doesn't.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Switch between Seal of Truth and Seal of Insight and watch your coldown for crusader strike change even though your melee haste doesn't.

I just did. The cooldown didn't change.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I'm in-game right now, and did this, and my CS cooldown doesn't change.

Here, I've even got screenshots.
Seal of Truth: http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/Meteoric_photos/WoWScrnShot_050113_122256_zps01cf9c8e.jpg
Seal of Insight: http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/Meteoric_photos/WoWScrnShot_050113_122344_zps288af777.jpg

...which shouldn't be a surprise really, since Sanctity of Battle explicitly scales from melee haste per its own tooltip, and Seal of Insight explicitly does not grant melee haste per its own tooltip and the character sheet.
Edited by Ravicana on 5/1/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You are in Ret spec.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
If I seem smug it's just frustration at those who would debate FACTs with theory (that is incorrect). Diluting the whole thread with nonsense. Those who my post is requesting info from will have to sift through this garbage.

Frankly, you're the one spouting deluded nonsense. I've been Ret since SoB was first introduced, and it has never had any interaction with attack speed buff. I checked, personally, the very day the pre-Cata patch gave it to us back in Wrath. When MoP changed it to no longer interact with spell haste, I also verified that the very second I was able to get in game after the pre-MoP patch.

Also, I hate to say it, but if Theck is factoring all those buffs into his SoB calculations (which I sincerely doubt he is, by the way), all his work needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb because it's now suspect. Honestly, I think you've simply taken a misinterpretaion of semantics and run with it - which isn't necessarily a bad thing! It means that you're thinking, exploring options, and that's definitely a good thing.

You are in Ret spec.

I just did it, in Prot spec, and no change. Hell, just changing specs without changing gear didn't make a difference to my ACDs.
Edited by Grôgnárd on 5/1/2013 12:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/01/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Capital
You are in Ret spec.

Other than affecting Prot spells instead of Ret ones, the two versions of Sanctity of Battle work the same way.

But if you like, here are screenshots in my Prot spec.
Truth: http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/Meteoric_photos/WoWScrnShot_050113_123237_zps89686567.jpg
Insight: http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad344/Meteoric_photos/WoWScrnShot_050113_123245_zps476db85b.jpg

Again, no change in melee haste on character sheet. No change in Crusader Strike's cooldown.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]