Wait, so DKs can tank in DPS gear?

1 Tauren Druid
Why am I hearing more and more that Blood DKs can effectively tank with DPS gear over Tank gear? Is there any truth to this?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I do it in 5-mans all the time.

And when I solo Warbringers. Or anything, for that matter.

Raid environment, though? I wouldn't.

Let's see, Defense tab stats:

DPS gear, ilvl 505:

Health - 534763
Armor - 51088
Dodge - 5.02
Parry - 22.97
Mastery - 124.02

Tank gear, ilvl 488:

Health - 559067
Armor - 50312
Dodge - 9.39
Parry - 22.09
Mastery - 150.09
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Druid
I see, thanks for the information... Its still so weird seeing tanks that can tank with DPS stats.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
It is mainly because of our stat priority. We rely heavily on mastery... it so tasty <3. So if a dps gear drops that has high mastery we can use it. My raid leader also pointed out that DPS and Tanks do share some loot. This is mainly because each tank has their own stat priority like Protadins using haste.

Like Malm said... for a raid I wouldn't.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
SnP
The OP clearly hasn't looked at Monks.
Nize you don't have enough mastery in that set. 25% parry as dps is nice though....and more than what I got while tanking...wtf lol
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
The OP clearly hasn't looked at Monks.
Nize you don't have enough mastery in that set. 25% parry as dps is nice though....and more than what I got while tanking...wtf lol

I don't need mastery.

It's a bad stat.

Not for tanking...
Reply Quote
94 Troll Death Knight
i tank LFR in this gear

pretty sure I could tank a normal mode ToT

holy bajesus

soon.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I tank in PvP gear.

Easily doable in LFR and casual content.

Wouldn't try it in actual Raids tho.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
I have been 90 for like 3 weeks and I tank in dps/pvp gear atm in LFR, scenarios, and dungeons. And its easy, I don't switch any gear just what I have on and go blood spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I've seen dks tank in dps gear in randoms and lfr. They always seem to be at the top of the meters and don't seem to take any more additional damage than a tank who has tank gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Why am I hearing more and more that Blood DKs can effectively tank with DPS gear over Tank gear? Is there any truth to this?

Gear is not the strongest variable for minimizing the damage that a Blood DK takes. How they play is significantly more important.

Some of them play well enough to realize that they have more survivability than is necessary, so they can swap tanking pieces for DPS pieces. How much gear they swap depends on how much excess survivability they have, which depends on both skill and the difficulty of the content.

It's not about minimizing how much mana your healer has to burn; it's about making sure your healer has enough healing throughput to keep up with your damage intake, and making sure the latter never exceeds the former.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
i tank 5 mans in my dps gear since i stack mastery anyways
plus being in dps gear makes it so we can burn through mobs faster
LFR up to ToT in dps is gear is prob easy as well
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

Not for tanking...

if i were to completely swap to blood, I'd gem haste

I heard haste tanking was viable for blood dks now...

Please delete your toon now, because you just don't get it...
Reply Quote
91 Orc Death Knight
We often use DPS gear, as many of the "tank" items have only parry/dodge. These stats, for most DK are rated fairly low. We primarily look for gear with Sta/Str and then a hefty dose of mastery. Most of the time that requires us to take a mastery/haste or mastery/crit item ... we end up reforging the haste/crit into dodge or parry... but we are mainly after the mastery. For example of our T15 tier... only the head and shoulders have mastery.... the rest of the non-teir items I have looked for the odd "tank" item w/ mastery but many of them are "DPS".
Edited by Boneshield on 4/27/2013 6:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Do you reckon they could get rid of plate tank gear altogether? Just make it so crit and haste benefit all plate tanks and buff the amount of parry you get from strength. Would be fairly straightforward to implement.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
04/26/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Euliat

Gear is not the strongest variable for minimizing the damage that a Blood DK takes. How they play is significantly more important.

Some of them play well enough to realize that they have more survivability than is necessary, so they can swap tanking pieces for DPS pieces. How much gear they swap depends on how much excess survivability they have, which depends on both skill and the difficulty of the content.

It's not about minimizing how much mana your healer has to burn; it's about making sure your healer has enough healing throughput to keep up with your damage intake, and making sure the latter never exceeds the former.

tl;dr the only thing that tank gear has that dps gear doesn't is avoidance and tank set bonuses / trinket procs, and avoidance blows.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]