Thinking about rolling a Lock

90 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm thinking about rolling a lock, and I know that there are many threads like this but I am just going to ask the questions that I haven't found out yet.

What is the best spec overall for warlocks? I know it's going to be a matter of what I enjoy playing the most, but I want to put up good numbers before I can switch to what I enjoy. What is the average dps say a 500+ ilvl should do single target like say Sha of fear, and how do the specs compare to each other on that fight. What is simple in many of your guys opinion a fun spec to play.

I'm going to be straight up: I play a mut rogue, so anything would be much more fun than that. I can pull almost 100k on this guy with my current gear, would I pull the same in say Affliction?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
From my understanding, Affliction and Destro are in very good places right now due to the talent Kil'Jaeden's Cunning which let's you cast while moving. It lets warlocks keep up dps when most classes would have to stop. I've also seen a good amount of good demo locks pve.

As for best spec.... If you prefer to play a hardcast kind of style, destro lock will probably be your fav. Pretty predictable when to use conflag, chaosbolt, incinerate, etc. If you like a more fluid, multidot, rotation then aff is the way to go. If you like to play off of procs then demonology is best for you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
So destro seems to be my style then if I want to see a huge crit? I particularly enjoy watching my dispatch hitting for 140k. I was told I can make some ridiculously huge crits if I'm geared enough as destro
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Was there any particular reason as to why affliction warlocks were top dps for the class last tier compared to this tier? Mechanics to the fights? Gear scaling? Any nerfs?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Demonology actually is the top DPS spec atm, especially after you get the Lei Shen trinket to boost your Crit 100% for 4 seconds. Casting those Dooms during that buff guarantees an additional Imp after the 15 seconds, since Doom does that only when it crits. Destruction is a good spec when you do not have the gear or ST fights, Jin'rokh, Megaera, and maybe even Iron Qon.

Demonology > Destruction > Affliction

The specs are very close together, maybe 10k from Demo to Affliction. Min-maxing purposes, Demonlogy is your best bet.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Demonology actually is the top DPS spec atm, especially after you get the Lei Shen trinket to boost your Crit 100% for 4 seconds. Casting those Dooms during that buff guarantees an additional Imp after the 15 seconds, since Doom does that only when it crits. Destruction is a good spec when you do not have the gear or ST fights, Jin'rokh, Megaera, and maybe even Iron Qon.

The specs are very close together, maybe 10k from Demo to Affliction. Min-maxing purposes, Demonlogy is your best bet.

Solid information here.
Only anecdote I'd add is Destro seems overall easier to play. Demo... well you have to click with the spec. Some do, some don't.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
if you have ilvl 522+ with legendary meta gem and 2 trinkets of RRPM then its a close fight between Affliction [that when you have ilvl soo high get a nice damage] and Demonology using the Lei shen trinket.

but destro dont fall behind, he is very cloose.

in the end what will define what spec you play is.
what spec you like?
what spec you do play well?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
its funny how blizz is telling most pve'ers to stop worrying about damage meters and just enjoy the raids, most pve'ers will tell you they pve to be competitive with their guildmates, or try for world first achievements. I can see a huge fallout coming if blizzard keeps going on the course they chose, because most of wow's player base cares more about pve than pvp
Edited by Lysern on 4/29/2013 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

Solid information here.
Only anecdote I'd add is Destro seems overall easier to play. Demo... well you have to click with the spec. Some do, some don't.

Thanks for the 'like". I've been a ghost in these forums but I'll be around now more to help other Warlocks, considering the class in my opinion is the hardest to master. :D

On the subject of Destruction, it is indeed way easier to play, couple buttons and cooldowns, but on the other hand it could get very boring. Demonology has always been a clustermess of buttons / macros / minmaxing cooldowns, although, if you master it you will win.
Edited by Santo on 4/29/2013 8:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]