Set focus a 2nd Target ? (Off-tank)

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello there,

I was wondering if there is a possible macro or command I can make, to have a 2nd set focus target (or simply a keybind to target someone else, mainly the off tank).

Right now I have my set focus button on the main tank as caps lock (don't ask, works for me) and my beacon on the off-tank.

I was wondering if it's possible to have another keybind to automatically target the off tank ? Would help loads for healing.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
You can only have one focus.

If you use a raid-replacement frame, or even the stock Blizzard frames, you could just use mouseover macros to target them without having to physically switch targets.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Also if you've a set raid team you can create a target macro for them.
/tar Winnifred
for example.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
/target off-tank's name here

Pretty much all you can do. Change the macro for every new group/tank.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The raid-replacement frame is probably the best option if you want the same visual setup as your focus does.

If you only care about macros, there's another thing you can do, but you can't change the secondary 'focus' while in combat.

Step 1: create a macro named 'target' (you can replace the name for something more descriptive.) Leave this macro empty for now. When we're done, it will be the macro that targets your secondary 'focus'

Step 2: create a macro named 'edittarget'. Put in the following:
/run n = UnitName("target"); EditMacro('target',nil,nil,'/tar '..n);if InCombatLockdown() then print('Can\'t edit macro - in combat'); else print('Focus2 set to '..n);end

Step 3: Target the person you want to be your second 'focus' and run the edittarget macro. If you weren't in combat, your target macro should now say "/tar Name".

You can, of course, do far more than simply targeting someone with a macro like this. Things like tricks of the trade/misdirect and lifebloom frequently have specific targets that you will use very frequently. As a point of interest, if you wish the macro to have multiple lines, use "\n" in place of a line break in the macro template.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Unless I'm misreading the question, it sounds like you'd benefit from mouseover healing macros, at least for your most commonly used spells. Admittedly it's a playstyle choice, but I heartily recommend giving it a try.

An example taken from wowpedia:

/cast [@mouseover, help] [ ] Flash of Light

Casts FoL on your friendly mouseover target if such exists, otherwise just casts as normal. There are a lot of ways to customize them for personal preference.

Some people don't like mouseovers, particularly if they're used to some of the more automated healing addons. I personally love them, and play as addon-free as possible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]