I think I've had enough.

55 Tauren Death Knight
TL;DR: Is there anyone over 1800 in this game that's got any sense of sportsmanship? I don't think being decent at the game and being decent to people are mutually exclusive, but it practically seems to be all I find when I try.

I'm bad.

Or at least, I thought I was bad. Maybe I'm almost tolerable. I've been trying to get into Arenas, on and off, for years. I usually quit pretty early on because I make a mistake and the person who was supposedly "okay" with me just starting out with arenas really wasn't. They usually blow up at me. While I'd like camaraderie, I understand that I'm not the best player, so I usually take it as a sign that I should quit. Raids bore me, so then I get bored with the game and quit for a while.

I have a friend who plays Frost Mage. I play Disc Priest. She's one of the better PvPers I've seen; coordinates BGs well, always leads on damages and kills. I've been asking her for a few weeks if we can do 2s from time to time, so I can get points and also, more importantly, pointers. She always says no. I don't raise much of a fuss over it, though I've healed her through a significant portion of her honor grind on two alts.

It's sad, but today I woke up, and my first thought was - today, I get Conquest Weapons! I've never had those before! Hooray! I ask her if she can 2s with me on her alt, if her main's busy. I get an invite to ... heal and gear up her alt via honor in BGs. Well. Okay. I can do that, she doesn't have even a PvP weapon, I can understand. This continues for a while, then she stops running. No mention of 2s. Alright, well, whatever. I PuG this arms warrior off of Trade, we don't have voice chat and we go at it.

We run into my Frost Mage and her Discipline Priest partner, who is very good. I've run BGs with her. I generally feel she's better than I am, but it's hard to tell, I'm slightly better geared. I'm psyched. This is my friend - time to show that I'm good enough to be on her team, because I don't like doing this just for points, I want to actually be decent at this and progress and have fun. It's a tough match. We stall her out for 20 minutes until my partner dies. Towards the end of the match, my friend keeps spamming me with how much my partner's a piece of excrement and literally the "worst warrior on the server". When the warrior finally goes down, I decide to see how long I can last, and my "friend" literally threatened to report me if I "wasted her time" any longer and that I'm playing the most overpowered team composition. If you tell me a composition beyond "Healer/DPS" or "Rogue Mage Priest" I will literally have no opinion on it. I haven't played enough to have an opinion on it.

She didn't ask me to leave. She just threatened to report me. I don't think that's reportable, and it's kind of crazy if it is, but I left anyway because I don't play the game to upset people. And when I tell her that I was having fun up until then, apparently, I shouldn't get pissy about not being able to waste her time. I don't know if I want to play something that people act like this over. I was ready to high-five her and go "nice match, I'm amazed I lasted this long against you." I was feeling like maybe I'd finally clawed my way into bare competence. No, I get threats of sanction, told not to be pissy, and then silence.
Reply Quote
I'm bad.

yup
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
04/30/2013 03:37 PMPosted by Moorbid
We run into my Frost Mage and her Discipline Priest partner,

Unless you are running around a block/pillar, the frost mage is terrible if he cant kill you. And anyone like that clearly isnt a friend, if i was you i would stop being friends with such a person.
04/30/2013 03:37 PMPosted by Moorbid
I don't think that's reportable,

It isnt, they probably didnt want to get a draw because draws cause more rating lose than a lose.
No, I get threats of sanction, told not to be pissy, and then silence.

I think they are using you, probably not worth be friends with these people.
Edited by Nytelyte on 4/30/2013 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Why are you referring to this person as your "friend"?
Reply Quote
64 Undead Warlock
Some friend...
Find a guild with friendly people, shouldn't be too bad. People on servers with somewhat lower populations and perhaps even not PvP servers usually don't take it nearly as seriously. But if you don't wanna reroll which I imagine you don't, just look for guilds with keywords like "family friendly" and that type of thing, usually good folk in those.

I really don't blame you for being upset encountering people like that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Definitely not a friend. I assure you there are players who are good PVPers and aren't douche bags. They seem to be outnumbered though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If that's what you call a friend, I'd hate to see your enemies.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Your definition of "friend" is a strange one.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
No, I get threats of sanction, told not to be pissy, and then silence.

This person is not your friend.

Sounds like they never were. Put them on ignore and go play some more with the Warrior you had fun with.
Reply Quote
55 Tauren Death Knight

Yeah, I don't think I will be making that mistake in the future.

Blargh. All I want is a team that's serious but patient. I'm not good, but I try, I really do.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
04/30/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Moorbid

Blargh. All I want is a team that's serious but patient. I'm not good, but I try, I really do.

My god ive been looking for this forever, No high rated player wants to take the risk and everyone else sucks :/. My problem looking for this kind of person is the fact my server is deader than that dead horse everyone is talking about. Anyways keep looking, at some point youll find a friendly nice person, it takes forever but its worth it when you find it.
Edited by Nytelyte on 4/30/2013 3:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
It seems you just want to jump in to the action without ever practicing or looking up and watching the top players of your class play, and learning from what they do in certain situations. While the logical reaction to not being good at something would be to learn how to get better, instead you obviously want to skip all that and just be good instantly without trying. Every time you try and fail, which seems you inevitably do, your deluded mind thinks it will result differently. It is insane. To top it all off you don't even post here on the character you have been playing on, or even ask anyone on the forums if there could be a gearing problem. You are just trying to attack the person who had nothing to do with the real problem. (and i agree with you, that was very rude of her)

Maybe if you weren't so neurotic and looked for help instead of justification you wouldn't be in this situation. I honestly feel bad for anyone who would have to deal with someone so negative and self concerned.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
04/30/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Moorbid

It's unrealistic for anybody to expect more than an approximate 50-50 win/loss ratio.

That means that you have as much skill as the average pugger who manages to cap without being carried.

The best partner I've had went something like 10-2. He was a Glad in BC, but quit since then and just came back. He's amazing at the things of arena like LoS, and CC, and all of that.

/brag over

The point is, if you're at the right MMR, you should have a win/loss ratio of approximately 50%. If you lose a game at the end, no problem. If you win one more game than you lose, great!
Edited by Tharvik on 4/30/2013 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
No high rated player wants to take the risk and everyone else sucks :/

Sounds like you're one of the people OP should be avoiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/30/2013 03:39 PMPosted by Aithelar
I'm bad.

yup

Says the goober with no rating at all

To the OP however, On my alliance warrior toon on Turalyon last pvp season, me and my 2s partner faced the same exact arena team (spriest & hunter) from Mal'Ganis about 8 times. Of which, of those 8, 5 were in a row in about a 2 maybe 3 hr slot. We beat this spreist/hunter 2s team 7 times and lost one because they zerged me with stampede/call beast/shadowfiend/DoTs. I was basically wearing a mishmash of blues and 1 or 2 purples. I was new to arena then. Fact is, is that I quit last season because of that reason. Facing the same exact teams X amount of times in a row in a short span of time. Couple with that facing alot of dual healer 2s teams (usually druids or mistweaver monk & druid or priest) is not very appealing to a person getting into arena
Edited by Norilice on 4/30/2013 4:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Tauren Death Knight
It seems you just want to jump in to the action without ever practicing or looking up and watching the top players of your class play, and learning from what they do in certain situations. While the logical reaction to not being good at something would be to learn how to get better, instead you obviously want to skip all that and just be good instantly without trying. Every time you try and fail, which seems you inevitably do, your deluded mind thinks it will result differently. It is insane. To top it all off you don't even post here on the character you have been playing on, or even ask anyone on the forums if there could be a gearing problem. You are just trying to attack the person who had nothing to do with the real problem. (and i agree with you, that was very rude of her)

Maybe if you weren't so neurotic and looked for help instead of justification you wouldn't be in this situation. I honestly feel bad for anyone who would have to deal with someone so negative and self concerned.

I avoided posting on my main because I don't particularly want the potential drama fallout of specific names. Rest assured, I actually do ask for gearing advice and I lurk at multiple PvP forums. Watching videos does not help me, though I do anyway. For some reason, I'm so damned stupid that they just don't penetrate my brain. I watch them and I don't comprehend for some reason. Watching raid videos never helped me either, when I PvEed - I had to read descriptions of the fights. Watching Tankspot, etc. only made me confused.

I am okay with continuing to try, I really am, and I understand how you can get that impression from what I wrote; it just feels like most of the people I've tried to get teams with are only in it for points, or only in it for immediate max rating.

I quit not because I am bad (the fact that I am bad is separate), but because I dislike the feeling that I'm holding people back. I almost never drop battlegrounds even if they're losing because that's not the case there.

04/30/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Tharvik

It's unrealistic for anybody to expect more than an approximate 50-50 win/loss ratio.

That means that you have as much skill as the average pugger who manages to cap without being carried.

The best partner I've had went something like 10-2. He was a Glad in BC, but quit since then and just came back. He's amazing at the things of arena like LoS, and CC, and all of that.

/brag over

The point is, if you're at the right MMR, you should have a win/loss ratio of approximately 50%. If you lose a game at the end, no problem. If you win one more game than you lose, great!

That makes me feel a bit better, thanks. I paired up with a Frost DK last week and we ended... 11-9, I think, he booted me off the team at the end there. x.x Just couldn't get a Disc/Arms combo down ourselves.
Edited by Moorbid on 4/30/2013 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I avoided posting on my main because I don't particularly want the potential drama fallout of specific names. Rest assured, I actually do ask for gearing advice and I lurk at multiple PvP forums. Watching videos does not help me, though I do anyway. For some reason, I'm so damned stupid that they just don't penetrate my brain. I watch them and I don't comprehend for some reason. I am okay with continuing to try, I really am, and I understand how you can get that impression from what I wrote; it just feels like most of the people I've tried to get teams with are only in it for points, or only in it for immediate max rating.

Watching Swifty for 5 hours won't help you. Best practice is to actually do Arenas, once you understand that, you should look for tips on improvement since you understand your class. You can also find generic guides for CC, LoS, etc.

As a DK, I'm probably not the best person to talk about this since I play the most faceroll class there is. The only thing I have to think about is blood taps, and Necrotic Strikes. The only CC I have is Asphyxiate and to a lesser extent, Death Grip.
Edited by Tharvik on 4/30/2013 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Tauren Death Knight
04/30/2013 04:10 PMPosted by Tharvik
I avoided posting on my main because I don't particularly want the potential drama fallout of specific names. Rest assured, I actually do ask for gearing advice and I lurk at multiple PvP forums. Watching videos does not help me, though I do anyway. For some reason, I'm so damned stupid that they just don't penetrate my brain. I watch them and I don't comprehend for some reason. I am okay with continuing to try, I really am, and I understand how you can get that impression from what I wrote; it just feels like most of the people I've tried to get teams with are only in it for points, or only in it for immediate max rating.

Watching Swifty for 5 hours won't help you. Best practice is to actually do Arenas, once you understand that, you should look for tips on improvement since you understand your class. You can also find generic guides for CC, LoS, etc.

As a DK, I'm probably not the best person to talk about this since I play the most faceroll class there is. The only thing I have to think about is blood taps, and Necrotic Strikes. The only CC I have is Asphyxiate and to a lesser extent, Death Grip.

! I didn't realize anyone made generic guides for that stuff. I tried poking around the arena forums here for stuff like that, got blank stares. I could kiss you!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Your "friend" is a wad;
I know several 2k+ players and ex multi-glads who are extremely nice people. They exist!
It's how I finally got my 1750 achievement after being stuck not even being able to play after a year. (I had been restricted to CRZ RBG's prior.)
I've been hanging out admist the crowd just chatting and getting to know these people and I now have a new good friend of mine coming to Mal'ganis next season to play TSG with me and to finally get me to 2k.

You do however need to step yourself up; You need to practice and do research yourself. Your friend was a jerk but you'll find people will respect you more if you show initiative.
Ask for help; People troll but a lot of the "trolls" I know only act like that to people who are being brats in the first place. I garuntee if you go to the arena forums and ask for help without "whining" you'll get a handful of people assisting you.
I've got nothing less.

Also; Arms is not strong right now. It's balanced; but other classes are too "OP" at the moment for us to deal with if the person knows what they're doing.
Disc/Arms is very very meh. You shouldn't be expecting anything amazing in 2's because of it;
Most of my losses in 2's came from literally just being unable to do anything even going back over the match because well; Rogue/Frost Mages = Aurghgehgsgblb.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]