I think I've had enough.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
all I can say is: Welcome to the World of People think this game means something in the longrun.

I love arenas. they're fun. i'm perfectly OK with getting a high ranking. i'm perfectly ok with going 0:10 for an evening. because oddly, winning is fun, but so is...fun o.O

Giving it the all and winning or losing just shows room for improvement.

saw a HILARIOUS post in here about: you want to just jump in and start off good, instead of watching high ranking teams blah blah... because apparently, all you have to do to be 'good' at pvp is watch a video. practice makes more perfect than watching certain situations arise that you may or may not deal with, and not see situations which you may always be dealing with.

pvp isn't pve. watching pvp videos can show you neat spots, but there's a player on the other side that's going to try and make everything you absorbed watching a video mean nothing.

friends > srshrdcr arena peeps. let them die of early heart attacks over a game that will mean nothing when the servers are formatted to make room for another game.
Reply Quote
55 Tauren Death Knight
You do however need to step yourself up; You need to practice and do research yourself. Your friend was a jerk but you'll find people will respect you more if you show initiative.
Ask for help; People troll but a lot of the "trolls" I know only act like that to people who are being brats in the first place. I garuntee if you go to the arena forums and ask for help without "whining" you'll get a handful of people assisting you.

You've responded to one of my "asking for advice" threads, I think; I lurk on the arena forums, so I've seen you post a lot, certainly. :) And right now I'm reading one of these generic CC guides that nice guy up-thread just told me about. I don't know why it never occurred to me to use google for this instead of just manually browsing forums. But, I guess that's why I'm bad.

Hopefully won't be staying that way.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
You do however need to step yourself up; You need to practice and do research yourself. Your friend was a jerk but you'll find people will respect you more if you show initiative.
Ask for help; People troll but a lot of the "trolls" I know only act like that to people who are being brats in the first place. I garuntee if you go to the arena forums and ask for help without "whining" you'll get a handful of people assisting you.

You've responded to one of my "asking for advice" threads, I think; I lurk on the arena forums, so I've seen you post a lot, certainly. :) And right now I'm reading one of these generic CC guides that nice guy up-thread just told me about. I don't know why it never occurred to me to use google for this instead of just manually browsing forums. But, I guess that's why I'm bad.

Hopefully won't be staying that way.

I troll a couple of the threads over there but the way you've presented yourself here I believe you were one of the more recent threads where a bunch of the regulars teamed up for, right?

I can't really remember. I'd have to go digging.

And it just takes time.
We all start somewhere.

Just practice lots and don't let people get you down.
It sucks to be so new when the game's like this right now but patience is a virtue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Not just reading up on guides, but check out youtube video guides as well.

We run into my Frost Mage and her Discipline Priest partner, who is very good. I've run BGs with her. I generally feel she's better than I am, but it's hard to tell, I'm slightly better geared. I'm psyched. This is my friend - time to show that I'm good enough to be on her team, because I don't like doing this just for points, I want to actually be decent at this and progress and have fun. It's a tough match. We stall her out for 20 minutes until my partner dies. Towards the end of the match, my friend keeps spamming me with how much my partner's a piece of excrement and literally the "worst warrior on the server". When the warrior finally goes down, I decide to see how long I can last, and my "friend" literally threatened to report me if I "wasted her time" any longer and that I'm playing the most overpowered team composition. If you tell me a composition beyond "Healer/DPS" or "Rogue Mage Priest" I will literally have no opinion on it. I haven't played enough to have an opinion on it.

If youre new to arenas and held out for nearly 20 mins before youre partner died, Id say its your friend and not you being the worst. If they were one of the few that you say are one of the better experienced players (this isnt a personal attack against you), then they instead are of the crappiest teams to take 20+ mins to beat you (20 mins alone to take out one person). Plus if your friend was badmouthing you like that even when he/she took that long to kill one person, it just shows theyre just a crap salesperson with a mouth full of samples.
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyeuU_ig9mE

Nuff said
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
04/30/2013 03:37 PMPosted by Moorbid
I usually quit pretty early on because I make a mistake and the person who was supposedly "okay" with me just starting out with arenas really wasn't.

I wouldn't take that to much to heart. I don't PvP, but I have noticed that PvP'rs are an angry lot.

I do PvE, and I've noticed that in LFR and RDF everyone can be getting along great.... until a wipe... then people start calling each other names and pointing fingers.

It isn't you, it's the disposition of the people you're with.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I've found that usuall 1600 players and under are fairly nice because they are bad, they know it, and they don't take the game too seriously and just have fun.

its the 1700-2k people that you have to watch out for. Those are the people who think they're really good, just stuck with bad teammates and can't get any higher because of a multitude of reasons. The truth is, these people who are "decent" are just really insecure.

That is a sweeping generalization, but yeah.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
There are good people out there who aren't a-holes, but sadly they're certainly not the majority.

It looks like you and the warrior got off to a decent start this week, though. Grats on your staff!

Who wouldn't want to play with a female dorf? LOL SPINNING PONYTAILS

ps: drop the friend. sounds like some randy scumbag who's just using you when it's convenient for them
Edited by Zildjian on 4/30/2013 11:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Holy crap, this was moved to the arena forums.

I thought I was in General Discussion when this started.

Maybe I'm just delusional.

! I didn't realize anyone made generic guides for that stuff. I tried poking around the arena forums here for stuff like that, got blank stares. I could kiss you!

The generic guides are usually found in class guides, but apply to most other classes. I think it might be a tad difficult to make a guide on CC chains that applies to every class, but an LoS guide for any class can work for just about anybody.

I'd say it's generally this:
A LoS guide for a Ret Paladin can apply to any other melee that operate similarly, this is basically every melee, bar Rogues and Feral Druids.
A LoS guide for healers could probably apply to every single healer.

etc
Edited by Tharvik on 4/30/2013 11:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I wouldn't play with anyone that treated me like that.

One step at a time. I say that often but here it means don't try for 2200 when you haven't reached 1500 yet. There's no shame in working towards the first step. Find someone who just wants to arena since that seems to be your current direction. Work your way to 1500 and get excited when you get there. Don't let others take away your enjoyment.

You can learn and enjoy watching some of the top players on stream but the best way to learn PvP is to PvP. BGs are a great place to start but when you find yourself looking for more I think its time to start with 2v2. It offers a whole new level of team work to learn. Arena requires you to maximize your abilities in order to progress. Remember, one step at a time.

Find a friendly person that wants to start with 2v2 and enjoy moving your way up the ladder slowly. I remember I thought it was pretty cool when I first hit 1k and now I'm a 2k+ player. It takes time, not jerks. lol Try not to be a jerk yourself as you find yourself improving beyond those around you. Remember, there is always something more to learn.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I just told my partner about this post and he agrees with me that your friend is an a$$hat.

You have to start somewhere and don't give up because one or two people are putting you down. Someone above mentioned that if you could last 20 mins against this frost mage then they are the bad player not you.

Keep at it, practise makes perfect and one day (probably soon) you will wipe the floor with the frost mage and her partner.

That enough should keep you going.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Death Knight
All I see at low mmr is:
/spit
/spit
/spit
/spit
/lol
/lol
/lol
/spit
/spit
/spit
/spit

All I see at high mmr is:

/w Hey man, great game! We should play together sometime.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Rude people are everywhere, I would'nt say that everyone high rated is mean, there are plenty of nice people, it's probably just your server. I would just stop waiting on that "friend" you have and try and find others to do arenas with, even if it is from trade, you will occasionally get a very good person. Doing them even after you're capped is good if you want to get some practice aswell.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
It's sad that anyone is so pathetic as the person the OP was talking about.

Jeesh.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
I'm not sure i can give any good advice on this but when i started out I watched a ton of videos over at warcraft movies to get a feel of what the class should and should not be doing. I also had the benefit of a 2.2 friend pretty much carry me and teach me about cc and los in 2's back in wrath.

When i started 3's though I was on my own and the best way to do it is find people in trade and play with people of equal level. No body wants to carry strangers to rating. It isn't fair for them to carry all that weight for no reason when they can find equally skilled partners and do way better unless they are your friend and want to help.

One thing that I can say is don't play in high pop servers and expect people to stick around in teams. Those are the worst places if you are looking to find steady partners since there is an abundant of other players. The moment you guys end a session and they want to play more and you dont they will find another team. Find a nice medium server and build up your skill with a good/op comp. If you are playing like windwalker x healer dont expect much honestly. This game is way too focused on comps and counter comps.

I have played with the same healer since the start of cata now and every now and then we grab a random 1.8-2k player from trade and play with them up to 2.3+ over the course of the season. I guess im also different cause i dont team hop and change comps unless it gets severely gimped. I just play with the same 2 people all season and learn the comp in and out.

Gl finding partners and building that circle of core arena partners.
Reply Quote
55 Tauren Death Knight
I wanted to say thanks for all the advice/positive words. Thought about it and I don't want to get a big head, since I know if I run into like, Buddhist, I'd probably still be a speck on his boot. lol. But I do feel a lot better about myself as a player now. I may not be good, but I'm not a detriment to my team just by existing and I can get better. And yeah, this was in General Discussion to start with.
Edited by Moorbid on 5/1/2013 5:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Join my server & we will get a team going! I'm not a great player, but I consider myself decent, I haven't achieved high ratings, I did hit high 1600s last season on my DK. But feel free to in game mail me on Sargeras (Dyriden) or Kil'Jaeden (Rashtag).

04/30/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Moorbid
Why are you referring to this person as your "friend"?

Yeah, I don't think I will be making that mistake in the future.

Blargh. All I want is a team that's serious but patient. I'm not good, but I try, I really do.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Sounds like your "friend" is just a typical girl gamer that feels entitled to everything, and is carried by guys who are craving attention. Just accept the fact that she's a parasite, and she only plays with you when she can benefit, with no concern of mutual benefit (I don't mean to insult girl gamers, as the cool ones out there will fully agree with my statement as well).

Find people around your same skill level that WANT to improve and play with them. Look at it the same as finding a gym partner.
Edited by Ogedei on 5/1/2013 7:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]