Rebel Roleplay and you:

100 Human Warrior
I agree with the sentiment, but sadly since there's no in game way to bring repercussion on players of the same faction, there's more than likely going to be players who think they'll be seen as cool and rebellious if they shout "Death to Garrosh" to his face and magically godmod out of any RP you throw at them. It's the same kind of mentality that has Death Knights going up to the Cathedral steps in Stormwind and shouting "The Light is a lie!" and standing back, smugly expecting everybody to turn and argue with the guy like we've never seen it before.

You know there's serious repercussions IC, I know there's serious repercussions IC, everyone in this thread knows there's serious IC repercussions, but sadly only a minority of RPers on MG come to the forums.
Edited by Réase on 5/2/2013 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
The only good rebel is a dead rebel.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Watching a bunch of Tavern RPs threaten a person playing a Kor'kron was kinda hilariously bad, both IC and OOC...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I think I'm more of a sith, personally.

But in seriousness, agreed. It does not make you cool if you act like you can say anything and have no consequences. It just makes you look like a baddie.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Death Knight
Normally I agree with this sentiment, but as Skullcrusha said there's nothing nebulous about this situation.

Insults to Garrosh are punishable by death in lore.

You are completely correct. There is no question that speaking out against Garrosh would lead the authorities to try and kill you. The issue is with how we actualize this lore in RP.

First, we need to look at enforcement. Skullcrusha and his guild RP that they have the authority to enforce this law, but that is only unquestionably true within their own RP. If a player engages with them, he should respect their IC persona and acknowledge that they are guards with this power. They cannot, however, just walk into an RP scene and say, "We're the cops!" and assume that their authority and their story will be acknowledged. Before they impose this authority on other players -- players who have not already engaged with them-- they must obtain the consent of the parties involved (this may be done through a whisper or just through an open-ended RP prompt).

Even though the approach is completely lore-compliant, it doesn't mean they have authority without consent.

We could say that any good Hordeling could enforce Garrosh's will and would rightfully kill rebels, which is also true from a lore-perspective. However, as players we still need to follow the rules of RP etiquette and follow the challenged party decides the means of combat standard. So, if you wish to kill another character for saying mean things about Garrosh then you yourself might end up dead depending on how the combat is resolved.

But let us look at the bigger picture.

Watching a bunch of Tavern RPs threaten a person playing a Kor'kron was kinda hilariously bad, both IC and OOC...

Actually, that makes sense. Just as rebels would be killed by Garrosh's forces for their behavior, Kor'kron players should be the targets of assassination. If a single Kor'kron fellow finds himself in a tavern facing multiple rebels, then the fact that he is legally in the right will not help him if they decide to kill him or abuse him.

There are some places the police will not go without back-up. A lone upholder of Garrosh's will should not walk into a den of rebels and tell them to settle down without expecting that they might dismember him and hide his body.

Kor'kron players should be KoS for rebels, just as open rebels would be KoS for guards. Any time a guard goes off on his own, rebels should really take a shot at him.

Now, as was the case with the OP, they probably can't kill the Kor'kron IC, but they could take him hostage. Being in open rebellion makes you a target. Working for the man also makes you a target.

Now, soon we will all be able to kill Kor'kron dudes and Skullcrusha's guild will be KoS, I suppose. I'm not sure if they plan to be perma-killed or what but it is better to die an orc than to live a coward.

I would also like to see more murders of characters that are seen collaborating with the guards. No one likes a snitch.

So, we could turn the entire OP around and direct it at guard players as well and remind them that if they are outnumbered by rebels then the options against them are:

not limited to:

. Beating up
. Imprisoning
. Interrogation
. Murdering
Edited by Pylsur on 5/2/2013 3:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Orc Death Knight
Oh of course. However, that is not my concern. I make sure the KKL (since Kor'kron Legion was mentioned) are well aware they can only use such authority if the other person allows it. The problem is the ignoring of NPC's that are a few feet outside. Yes, these people do have the right to attack and try to kill a Kor'kron in the tavern. But saying they will is a different story entirely, as there are a multitude of IC factors, such as guards right outside the tavern.

It's an ignoring of IC features and lore due to game mechanics. People can yell all they want death to Garrosh yes, but saying it while ignoring the guard NPC's, or anyone to respond due to game mechanics is...well...the issue presented.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
05/02/2013 10:02 AMPosted by Skullcrusha
I know it seems really cool to be “that guy” who down talked and threatened to kill Kor’kron and Garrosh, but please understand the lore at the moment, and be aware of those around you.

I agree with your overall point, but this sentence came off as a little condescending and dismissive towards the people you're addressing.

I'm probably interpreting it all wrong, but if I were roleplaying a rebel I would think you were trying to portray me as being "edgy" because my character doesn't agree with Garrosh.
Edited by Grev on 5/2/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The problem is the ignoring of NPC's that are a few feet outside.
It's an ignoring of IC features and lore due to game mechanics. People can yell all they want death to Garrosh yes, but saying it while ignoring the guard NPC's, or anyone to respond due to game mechanics is...well...the issue presented.

So your issue is only with how they are reacting/not reacting to in-game guards?
Edited by Pylsur on 5/2/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Orc Death Knight
I suppose I worded myself incorrectly. My issue is the idea of a lack of consequence for doing something lorewise that would be punishable by death. Now it's a simple thing to ignore when it's one or two individuals, but I believe that a lot of the rebel RPers don't realize the situation currently in lore, hence this post.

I am by no way trying to come off as condescending, so my apologies if it came off as such.
Reply Quote
I suppose I worded myself incorrectly. My issue is the idea of a lack of consequence for doing something lorewise that would be punishable by death. Now it's a simple thing to ignore when it's one or two individuals, but I believe that a lot of the rebel RPers don't realize the situation currently in lore, hence this post.

I am by no way trying to come off as condescending, so my apologies if it came off as such.

Well, like I said, it comes down to engagement. Lore does not determine the outcome of the situation, lore is simply the spark that sets it off.

Lore wants you to punish these miscreants, but that doesn't mean that they would be punished in actuality. If you engage them, you might still lose. If they escape or anything else happens, that isn't a violation of lore, so I'm not sure where the issue is on that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I rebel against Vol all the time, he's a meanie face. >:|
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
I want to know why people are RPing rebels in Orgrimmar, period.

Not only has the rebellion not even begun, and Vol'jin yet to return. For all intents and purposes, as far as we know, he is dead as a doornail.

Not to mention the rebels shouldn't even be in Orgrimmar because that's god damn insane.
Reply Quote
I want to know why people are RPing rebels in Orgrimmar, period.

Not only has the rebellion not even begun, and Vol'jin yet to return. For all intents and purposes, as far as we know, he is dead as a doornail.

Not to mention the rebels shouldn't even be in Orgrimmar because that's god damn insane.

Well, if, as the OP says, there seems to be a sizable rebel population in Org then maybe server events have gotten ahead of Blizzard events. If the situation on the ground is that there are enough rebels to be a problem then that is what we would react to.
Edited by Pylsur on 5/2/2013 4:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock

whoops
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
There's troll rebels that spawn in Orgrimmar in 5.3 - but they're shot dead by Kor'kron for just saying Vol'jin is alive.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the whole 'rebels talk !@#$ in the middle of Garrosh's seat of power without accepting the terrible consequences of their actions' will continue in 5.3 unabated. I imagine such unimportant things like logic or lore or acting mature really matters to those types of RPers.

At least the good rebels, like Volk, are being beaten, tortured, and otherwise accepting that bad things happen when you talk against a mad dictator on his front lawn.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
There's troll rebels that spawn in Orgrimmar in 5.3 - but they're shot dead by Kor'kron for just saying Vol'jin is alive.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the whole 'rebels talk !@#$ in the middle of Garrosh's seat of power without accepting the terrible consequences of their actions' will continue in 5.3 unabated. I imagine such unimportant things like logic or lore or acting mature really matters to those types of RPers.

At least the good rebels, like Volk, are being beaten, tortured, and otherwise accepting that bad things happen when you talk against a mad dictator on his front lawn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eog6ClqNCgY

Yep, and Orgrimmar is pretty much heavily patrol and guarded. So it would be impossible for anyone to escape.
Reply Quote
Heh, I'm a very well played rebel, thanks for the post :3
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd imagine it will be generally acceptable in rebellion kingdoms for these people to speak freely. These areas would be anywhere under Troll, Tauren, and Blood Elf dominion. I don't believe it would be wise for Forsaken inside of the Undercity to open speak about Garrosh until the Overseers are removed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Medasia has no need to hurl insults. She can simply speak from military past to say Garrosh made some grievous errors. That is simply a nuetral statement to the effect of "I don't trust a leader like that, and I never will.", not so much a rebellious one. Thankfully, she is also divorced from her larger military past. Garrosh is someone else's military problem in the ranks.

Now had she said something else...Yes, that is rebellious, or just being a little miffed about the whole situation. Even a loyalist can have bad days when they doubt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]