These changes make no sense.....

90 Dwarf Hunter
I'll turn on QQ mode here for a sec.

From the datamined information for the next PTR build, two changes baffle the hell out of me.

Why are they actually buffing Rogues and Unholy Death Knights? Combat and Unholy are both already near or are at the top of the food chain on most heroic encounters.

For those who haven't seen, Revealing Strike will now last 24 seconds (up from 18) for Combat and Scourge Strike will be dealing 22% more damage.

Their balancing isn't making a shred of sense to me. They leave some specs low for ages and give them no attention but then turn around and buff specs already at the top of the pile....
Edited by Bullettime on 5/2/2013 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Their balancing isn't making a shred of sense to me. They leave some specs low for ages and give them no attention but then turn around and buff specs already at the top of the pile....

combat isn't top of the pile. at all.

Just throwing that out there.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
05/02/2013 01:55 PMPosted by Sichel

combat isn't top of the pile. at all.

Just throwing that out there.

It's upper pack to close to top on any measurement that isn't top 100, which is an unreliable and laughable measurement to use for balance.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I'll give the Rogue changes a pass, but buffing Scourge/Festering Strike is insane. Guessing it's motivated by PVP representation of DKs?

edit: Alordis points out that I misread the change. I think it's still a single target gain for Unholy, just not as strong of one as if both had been buffed.
Edited by Meleti on 5/2/2013 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
But they are nerfing one Unholy spec strike and buffing the other. . . ? Its not a straight buff. They are buffing Sourge and nerfing Festering not buffing both.

And Combat rogues aren't the one that's at top its Assassination, so buffing a Combat only and Subtlety only abilities aren't going to affect that?
Edited by Alordis on 5/2/2013 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I'll give the Rogue changes a pass, but buffing Scourge/Festering Strike is insane. Guessing it's motivated by PVP representation of DKs?

I would have understood that had their been a counterpoint to keep PvE Death Knights at least in the same place.

But as it stands, it's a flat buff to one of the strongest PvE specs.
Edited by Bullettime on 5/2/2013 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
But as it stands, it's a flat buff to one of the strongest PvE specs

No it isn't.

•Festering Strike damage has been reduced by 12.5%.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
But they are nerfing one Unholy spec strike and buffing the other. . . ? Its not a straight buff.

And Combat rogues aren't the one that's at top its Assassination, so buffing a Combat only and Subtlety only abilities aren't going to affect that?

Combat is right on the heels of Assassination already. Combat just lacks when looking at top 100 parses. Any other measurement has the two close.

And Scourge Strike is used substantially more than Festering Strike in PvE. They nerfed the attack they use a handful of times a minute by 12.5% and buffed the strike that gets basically spammed by 22%, resulting in a buff. Have you ever played an Unholy?
Edited by Bullettime on 5/2/2013 2:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
05/02/2013 02:03 PMPosted by Alordis
But as it stands, it's a flat buff to one of the strongest PvE specs

No it isn't.

•Festering Strike damage has been reduced by 12.5%.

Festering Strike is about 5% of your personal damage as Unholy, whereas Scourge Strike is about 15%. A 22% increase to 15% of your personal damage is much stronger than a 12.5% decrease to 5% of your personal damage.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
What Meleti said. Was too lazy to dig up the exacts myself.
Edited by Bullettime on 5/2/2013 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
And Scourge Strike is used substantially more than Festering Strike in PvE. They nerfed the attack they use a handful of times a minute by 12.5% and buffed the strike that gets basically spammed by 22%, resulting in a buff. Have you ever played an Unholy?

I've had an unholy spec before, but in my experience DKs are only allowed to be Blood. . .
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I've had an unholy spec before, but in my experience DKs are only allowed to be Blood. . .

This may be the point where you start wondering if you should get some more experience.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I tend to worry more about buffs/nerfs my class gets rather than those of other classes. Aren't hunters getting some substantial buffs next patch? If so, you should be happy instead of grousing about other classes.

And by the way, increasing the duration of Revealing Strike may be a buff but it's more a QoL buff than a dps buff.
Reply Quote
This may be the point where you start wondering if you should get some more experience.

No matter how much I play my DK he will never be consistently able to be Unholy or Frost. Blood is too good, if you are capable and willing to tank you'll be asked to do that far far more often than to be yet another melee dps.

I haven't seen a single DK post in here at all. . .just hunters who are getting buffed next patch worried about data mined (i.e. unconfirmed) possible PTR notes which may never go onto the PTR much less live. . . seems like a pretty speculative experience not needed kind of post to me?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
05/02/2013 02:31 PMPosted by Alordis

No matter how much I play my DK he will never be consistently able to be Unholy or Frost. Blood is too good, if you are capable and willing to tank you'll be asked to do that far far more often than to be yet another melee dps.

I haven't seen a single DK post in here at all. . .just hunters who are getting buffed next patch worried about data mined (i.e. unconfirmed) possible PTR notes which may never go onto the PTR much less live. . . seems like a pretty speculative experience not needed kind of post to me?

Because some of us are able to actually look at the big picture instead of showing extreme class bias. I never understood the logic of "well you're posting on class X so you can't talk about Y or Z." Just seems like a cop out and a grasping at straws argument when they have nothing more to contribute.

And as Meleti said, more experience is what you need. Unholy DKs are very much in demand in progression guilds for their melee slots due to their PvE survivability and extremely high raw damage output.
Edited by Bullettime on 5/2/2013 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The only way this makes sense is if the Festerblight rolling disease playstyle is about to go bye-bye.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Just curious, is the buff you are talking about moving Revealing Strike from 18 to 24 seconds?
Reply Quote
And as Meleti said, more experience is what you need. Unholy DKs are very much in demand in progression guilds for their melee slots due to their PvE survivability and extremely high raw damage output.

Great, and for the kinds of groups that I play in, there are already dozens of DKs because its an overpopulated spec and they are never looking for yet another Unholy DK. And like I said, anyone willing to tank will always be asked to tank.

I'm curious why I need more experience but YOU can "look at the bigger picture" when commenting on things?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
05/02/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Alordis

Great, and for the kinds of groups that I play in, there are already dozens of DKs because its an overpopulated spec and they are never looking for yet another Unholy DK. And like I said, anyone willing to tank will always be asked to tank.

I'm curious why I need more experience but YOU can "look at the bigger picture" when commenting on things?

Because you only argue with anecdotes from the PoV of an LFR raider instead of actually researching classes, viewing discussion, and analyzing data.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

Well your comment about "DKs are only allowed to play Blood" is a really strange thing. To provide a bit of context here, during T15 heroic 25 progression Unholy DKs were the second strongest melee spec (after Mut Rogues) and saw a lot of play. I'm not overly familiar with 10 man raiding but I suspect it's the same there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]