Sunwalker Dezco/Golden Lotus short story up

I like Dezco because he can make a mistake and get punished for it.

Yet, people are saying this is bad writing? I like the fact that poor choices are starting to have a affect in Azeroth, too many times mistakes have been brushed off.

Sure he gets punished for his bad decision. At the same time, it is one of those, "You never had a choice in the matter" lessons. Destiny and Fate, the whole speel. He ended up having to do what he dread, because he made bad choices and came to the realization that he was a terrible parent, and a terrible husband. He could have saved both his children quite easily, but the writer wanted to take a "Darker Route" for no other reason than shock value.

As to poor choices affecting Azeroth and mistakes all too frequently being brushed off? Will Dezco appear again? From how the story ends, it is heavily hinting to that Blizzard may not use Dezco (or the sunwalkers for that matter) in a future story arc. Dezco's story is largely finished. He is most likely going to stay in the vale and help bring his child up, teaching him the heritage of his people and of the sunwalker heritage, in addition to that of the way of the Lotus.

There is nothing to reap from his poor choices. It is essentially a one shot. It is largely left unresolved. What happens when he returns and tells his people what happened, of his easily resolvable problems.

"That is for the reader to decide" echoes in the back of my mind.

Literally nothing will be learned from this story.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
Will Dezco appear again? From how the story ends, it is heavily hinting to that Blizzard may not use Dezco (or the sunwalkers for that matter) in a future story arc. Dezco's story is largely finished. He is most likely going to stay in the vale and help bring his child up, teaching him the heritage of his people and of the sunwalker heritage, in addition to that of the way of the Lotus.

Actually, he's already left the Vale. He went to the Throne of Thunder, and I can actually easily see him returning in one of those Hyjal quests, like how Thassarian was apparently in Tirisfal, but made way to Hyjal to help defend it.

Plus, if the world comes under threat he may leave the Vale to defend the world.

Although I do not get what you mean by not using the Sunwalkers? What, the tauren can only have one notable paladin and if he stays in one place they can't be used again?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

I know when I'm on vacation in foreign countries and someone asks me to give them my children forever I do if they are nice to me. Especially if I know they will lose their culture, their heritage, and never be allowed to see me again except maybe once.

It's obvious that the person you're responding to is pretty young. No one with kids would question Dezco's decision to keep his babies at any cost. That's the one thing that ticked me off about the story, to be honest; it came off like he was facing divine intervention to punish him for daring to want to keep his children.

I never said he should of just given his child up.

I was trying to point out that the golden lotus had been nothing but friendly welcoming to the horde and dezco, so instead of him rushing off right into danger he should of talked with them about what it all means.

Instead he twisted his wife last words to him and over reacted to the situation.

Edit: forgive any error I'm posting on phone because of your response.
Edited by Haaely on 5/9/2013 4:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 04:41 AMPosted by Ximothy
Actually, he's already left the Vale. He went to the Throne of Thunder,

That is still Pandaria. I'm saying that he will not travel on to the next expansion. He will forever remain a fixture of Pandaria.

Although I do not get what you mean by not using the Sunwalkers? What, the tauren can only have one notable paladin and if he stays in one place they can't be used again?

Isn't that what Blizzard has always done Xim?
Edited by Seebach on 5/9/2013 4:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
05/09/2013 04:54 AMPosted by Seebach
Actually, he's already left the Vale. He went to the Throne of Thunder,

That is still Pandaria. I'm saying that he will not travel on to the next expansion. He will forever remain a fixture of Pandaria.

If next expansion is burning legion and him being a paladin I could see them using him again.
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 05:00 AMPosted by Haaely

If next expansion is burning legion and him being a paladin I could see them using him again.

What do paladin's have to do with the burning legion?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

I always thought besides undead, demons are also paladins kind of forte. I think I used that word wrong.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
I always thought besides undead, demons are also paladins kind of forte. I think I used that word wrong.

The Paladin's spell that are super effective against undead are also super effective against demons.

Paladin's are really effective towards demons, and the Naaru, sworn enemies of the Legion, employs armies of paladins into their cause. There is also the fact that Turalyon is presumably fighting the Legion.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
This is kind of cute.

People saying it's a drama bomb with no meaning... missing the entire point of what the story was trying to convey.

Figures.

Though really...another story involving a Tauren, and oh look, tragedy. Again.

Call me when Tauren cam be badass and not the things Blizzard brings out whenever we need a good tear-jerker. Bewteen Cairne, the Thunder Bliff Slaiughter, and this, Tauren have subsequently only gotten plot movement whenever their race gets a kick in the balls.

Then you apparently weren't paying attention.
Edited by Shmala on 5/12/2013 3:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
This is kind of cute.

People saying it's a drama bomb with no meaning... missing the entire point of what the story was trying to convey.

Figures.

Though really...another story involving a Tauren, and oh look, tragedy. Again.

Call me when Tauren cam be badass and not the things Blizzard brings out whenever we need a good tear-jerker. Bewteen Cairne, the Thunder Bliff Slaiughter, and this, Tauren have subsequently only gotten plot movement whenever their race gets a kick in the balls.

Then you apparently weren't paying attention.

Let me guess, was this the same 'we don't get it' excuse that people who hated the Mass Effect 3 ending are being told whenever they don't agree with the 'artist vision' of the writers?

And until the gnomes even get a character that takes place in MoP to the degree that Dezco has, the cows have nothing to complain about.
Edited by Dallanna on 5/12/2013 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
Let me guess, was this the same 'we don't get it' excuse that people who hated the Mass Effect 3 ending are being told whenever they don't agree with the 'artist vision' of the writers?

And until the gnomes even get a character that takes place in MoP to the degree that Dezco has, the cows have nothing to complain about.
No, it's tha claiming a theme and moral that's as classic as Aesop is bad writing/drama bombing is mildly amusing.

The story of the Dog with the steak and seeing his reflection in the river can draw a similar conclusion as this.

And you say that now, but considering the Gnome's only stake in the Lore currently is Nuking their own city, then failing to take it back, they're already nearly in the same boat. They just have less.
Edited by Shmala on 5/12/2013 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

You might want to avoid the Night Elf threads but luckily lately I think they have died down some.
Edited by Insanecat on 5/13/2013 2:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's portals up to major cities 24/7. Don't tell me there's some absurd rule that NPCs can't use them either because they do it all the time

The portals in the shrines and cities are for gameplay mechanics only. If portals were so easy to set up and use, why aren't there bigger, more numerous armies of both sides in the Vale? Why are there still a lot of refugees camping out in the Vale? Heck, why even need a base in Pandaria? Just port yourself there!

They're no better than a cult in my eyes, and before you all start spouting garbage about literary license and all, you have no idea what it's like to know someone since vanilla and then have them call you and tell you that something's happened, the sort of thing that you wish hadn't happened and go every day after hoping that it actually didn't. This is a family themed game. This sort of trash has no place in it, and certainly doesn't contribute to the story. All this does is confirm that the story department really has taken a nosedive.

Yeah, because YOU are the only one on this whole planet who has ever suffered great tragedy. Get over yourself.

A tragic story does not equal family-unfriendly garbage. Might as well call The Lion King trash and remove it from the kid's movie section because it has murder, betrayal, and onscreen death. We've got to remove the Land Before Time because it had mother being torn up by a T-Rex and dies onscreen. A big thing about tragedy is that one does not always overcome it or avoid it.

Just because you are too sensitive and weak-willed to handle tragedy in a story does not mean it's trash and that everyone else who has suffered can't handle it too.

-From a military brat.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

So instead of stating said point you instead use this as a platform to put people down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]