PCs dying and WoW

90 Human Mage
i've only purchased/built 6 computers/laptops since 1984, and four of them are still operational for web surfing. i make my machines last a long time before i scrap them.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
You mean laptops and tablets are taking over from them? Ugh, as well as being difficult to use compared with desktop keyboard and mouse, they also tend to have much smaller screens. My eyesight's starting to go (it does that past the age of around 40). No thanks.
Reply Quote
53 Pandaren Monk
Pre-built pc "sales" may be dying, but that doesn't mean that pc's are.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Pre-built pc "sales" may be dying, but that doesn't mean that pc's are.

are you implying that home built are replacing the decline in overall desktop sales? or do simply mean that people that want to home build desktops will keep them from going the way of the dodo? If it's the former I think you need a reality check.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
I picked up a 49 buck raspberry pi. Is that a PC? It works like one. The labels hardly even matter, but I think it's pretty clear there is a strong market for people who want high end gaming systems past what consoles can offer.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
PCs being sold are definitely in decline. The money from chip sales doesn't lie. The growth now is in mobile and tablets and not desktops.

But PC gaming isn't in decline . . . yet. 2014 and 2015 will be interesting years for PC games as a whole. The new consoles and games exclusively written for those consoles will be eating up lots of cash from gamers' wallets (and purses). That is money that could otherwise have gone toward buying new PCs and PC games.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/07/2013 06:21 PMPosted by Daladox
are you implying that home built are replacing the decline in overall desktop sales?

Well so far this year I know 8 people that have gotten new PCs. 6 of them had never built a PC before 4 of those 6 chose to go with building their own this time.

Over the last 5 or 6 years it's gone from probably 75 - 80% ordering a prebuilt down to 50% or so. And good portion of those that order prebuilts have switched from Dell or HP to Custom builders like Origin, Maingear, or Falcon NW.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I do not see pc's going away anytime soon.
That said i do see how we interact with them changing rather fast. Tablets and smartphones (with are really just small tablets) have brought us touchscreen use to the forefront. Think tactile interfaces. Lets face it much more new user friendly.
Think about it instead keybinds you have to memories you can simply tap the abilities on the screen. I think wow would translate over to touchscreen use very easy.
I know right now i would LOVE to be able to display my hotbars on my tablet and use it instead of the keyboard.

To me the newest turn in pc is the all in one type of system. atm i dont care for them mainly due to them not being as upgrade friendly. But i can foresee a future where the box under the desk is gone.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Windows 8 is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! =/= PC is dying.

Plus anyone with an apple will eventually explode from too much "local coffee shop espresso" if they don't lose their hearing/eyesight from "terrible music".

More often than not though, they just end up being strangled to death by their own studded belts and bracelets or the feathers in their hair combined with improperly wearing flannel gets them sent to the ER.

Whenever they re-release Windows 98 Second Edition, we will probably discover warp travel and be invited into the Galactic Republic.
Edited by Foc on 5/7/2013 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
PC sales are down because people that don't play games or use excell and stuff don't really need a PC when they have a tablet/smartphone

PC gaming is alive and well as long as LoL, SC, WoW, etc don't go console
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Of all the gamers Iv ever met none were pc gamers. Actually I don't think iv ever met anyone with a gaming pc.

It may not be dead but they sure aren't very popular.

Just guessing but id say pc gamers make up less than 10% of the general gaming population, And even that's being generous.

I mean when you go to bestbuy or walmart or something how many pc games do you see? Most of the time it's one tiny little shelf in the corner while consoles have entire aisles of games and accessories. Does gamestop even sell pc games any more? Plus just about every pc game these days is a console port.

What's that digital downloads you say? ......................please.

Consoles are where the moneys at.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
Windows 8 is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! =/= PC is dying.

Plus anyone with an apple will eventually explode from too much "local coffee shop espresso" if they don't lose their hearing/eyesight from "terrible music".

More often than not though, they just end up being strangled to death by their own studded belts and bracelets or the feathers in their hair combined with improperly wearing flannel gets them sent to the ER.

Whenever they re-release Windows 98 Second Edition, we will probably discover warp travel and be invited into the Galactic Republic.

Did not end as beginning would have implied.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aus

Seriously?

I don't own any studded belts, I don't own any bracelets, I might have once had a feather in my hair when I was like 9, I don't think I worn flannel in the last 25 years, If I eventually explode from buying a coffee most days I guess I can accept that. Where the heck do you get such arbitrary hatred?

The pc is not not so much dieing as its just not the only thing around anymore, Tablets and gaming consoles have their place but they are just not well suited to something like wow.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Pre-built PC sales are in decline. PC parts and components are on the rise as gamers learn you can make better PCs yourself for less than what a pre-built machine costs. If anything consoles are on the way out with rising costs bleeding the big console developers of money. All consoles this last generation sold at a loss.

^ Pretty much this. People are learning more and more each day that you can play a system with better options that last longer and can exchange parts for a smaller fee that makes your system last 2X as long as any console will give. That is why console systems are on the decline.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
PC sales going down reflects an office/professional transition to all tablet/smartphone offices... The bulk of Blizzard's audience-gamers-do now and shall forever on own a desktop PC/Mac.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
PC sells are down because

#1) People can get better PCs for cheaper by building them themselfs.

and

#2) People cant afford things that they could before when they had a job, or a really good paying job. Alot of people had to make changes due to having to settle for lesser paying jobs.
Reply Quote
35 Human Warrior
sales might also be declining if the machines are lasting longer.

Except for updates to software making old machines unusable, a ten year old machine is perfectly serviceable for many functions.

Agreed. Wow's graphics aren't very taxing so you can play WoW on an old PC.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
PC sales declining is not an opinion...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
To the PC or nothing crowd, think of it this way. Every 1 million new Xbox 720/Fusions or PS4s sold means ~$500 million out of gamer's pockets.

You can buy a heck of a lot of PCs and PC games with $500 million.

You know that Sony and Microsoft are going to sell millions of new consoles.

The guys who make high end custom game rigs probably don't have to worry too much because the luxury market types are spending money. The rich people don't mind spending money on luxuries as long as the Republicans aren't crashing the economy again. lol

All the system integrators have to worry about is the competition. It's probably like how tv sales and repair used to be in the 1950s and 1960s.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
PC sales declining is not an opinion...

No, it's a fact,,

Why?

Market saturation. Simple as. Most households have a PC of some description now. So they only get new ones when the time comes to upgrade the hardware. There will always be PC sales for this very reason.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]