Will hunters be next for an overhaul?

100 Worgen Hunter
I'll be honest, the new warlock stuff is awesome. Separate resources for each spec, and different skills for each that make them truly unique and well thought out.

Honestly all of the changes made to hunters have been pretty minor, so what are the chances that hunters will be next in line for an overhaul on par with warlocks?

I'd love to see some skills changed/reworked to fit with each spec, have a better resource mechanic, have each spec truly do what we expect it to do. (marks has real bleed and burst, sv has dots and decent traps, BM is actually kinda ok)

You know? Idk. It'd be cool. Compared to all the class abilities added in MoP, stampede kinda makes me sadface, even if we did QQ for it for like 3 expacs.
Edited by Muspelheim on 5/6/2013 11:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
It'll probably happen to Rogues first if anything.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
The problem is that warlocks were REALLY underrepresented apparently, while hunters still have a massive population. Redoing warlocks had fewer people to anger, and lots of potential for growth. Redoing hunters would have TONS of people to anger, and likely cause the population to shrink.

Also, yeah. Rogues will probably get it first, as I think their population hasn't been doing so well lately.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
hunters are the most represented class in the game by 1 or 2 %, locks and rogues are near the least represented. Overhaul on a class tends to be an attempt to increase class representation. DKs, hunters, warriors, pallys, and priests are a dime a dozen, monks are rising in population as well.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Redoing hunters would have TONS of people to anger, and likely cause the population to shrink.

Angering hunters is not something the Devs avoid really. Excessively angering sure.

Example: "We are fine with CC, and would rather not change too much of the playstyle of the problem specs/classes mid-expansion" (paraphrased). Now look at 5.3 Hunter notes.

Shrinking the population? Assuming it was done as well as the Lock revamp (which, even admitted that Locks still have some issues, most notably their pets; it would be a vast improvement, and typically, hunters stick through even questionable degrees of changes; i.e. Focus. It was not a smooth transition in Cata, but still the population stayed strong).

Having said that, Locks were revamped mostly because they were bland, and limited differences between specs (each one sicc'ed a pet on the target, DOT'ed up the target, and spammed a bolt of Shadow or Flame).

Because of that, I think they would do Rogues next.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Hunters were reworked ( not as much as warlocks, of course) in the cataclysm systems patch. The odds of getting another major focus patch for hunters any time soon are slim to none.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Hunters were reworked ( not as much as warlocks, of course) in the cataclysm systems patch. The odds of getting another major focus patch for hunters any time soon are slim to none.

We were not re-worked, our Resource system was replaced. It wasn't even redesigned (i.e. Locks all received a unique secondary Resource; ours was replacing Mana with Focus for everything except Counter-attack).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/08/2013 07:18 AMPosted by Verdash

We were not re-worked, our Resource system was replaced. It wasn't even redesigned (i.e. Locks all received a unique secondary Resource; ours was replacing Mana with Focus for everything except Counter-attack).

While some things changed (arcane shot geting no cd, cobra shot for sv and BM keeping serpent sting up, loss of viper aspect and viper siting) most of our play style and priority did not change. Sure, aimed shot got a big change, but nothing in the realm of having to completely relearn the class.

Locks that weren't playing aflic had to completely relearn their class with the broad, sweeping changes that were made.

An overhaul is when changes are so dramatic that you end up playing your class in a completely different manner, Survival pre cata was still making most of traps/black arrow, lock and load procs, and steady shot when everything else was on cd, only big differences now are multi shot being a powerful aoe (esp coupled with serpent spread), arcane shot having no cd and not sharing explosive shots cd, and no more volley, and we are using cobra shot (esentialy steady shot) to generate our primary resource instead of cutting our dps in half to regenerate mana.

BM was still Blow BW and use as many spells and abilities as possible, and use KC on cd, the big change is BW being a burst cd, due to arcane shot not having a cd, and KC being a nuke instead of a "boost next 3 basic attacks from pet by X damage" ability, along with multi shot being aoe dmg, beast cleave, and pet aoes.

Some pieces of our play style changed, but most of it remained the same, where as locks from cata to mists had their play style completely changed, instead of keeping dots up, using cds, and casting shadow bolt/fire spells when appropriate/on cd, it is now different for Demo and destruction. demo building demonic fury, then going demon and spending it, building it out of demon form, and burning it heavily when you have big cds. Destruction became build burning embers and use chaos bolt or fire and brimstone when appropriate to spend them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Like I said, not as much as warlocks, but as blizzard put it their focus for "revamp" for cata was hunters, and this time around warlocks.

Edit: Blizzard also already stated that they are aware that rogues and warriors are the two most boring / in need of revamp classes atm. Which I completely agree.
Edited by Kurve on 5/8/2013 8:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Like I said, not as much as warlocks, but as blizzard put it their focus for "revamp" for cata was hunters, and this time around warlocks.

Edit: Blizzard also already stated that they are aware that rogues and warriors are the two most boring / in need of revamp classes atm. Which I completely agree.

That was mostly towards visual impact.

Compare Monk visuals to Rogue/Warrior and you will see what they mean.
Arms/Fury may be close in playstle (unsure here), but they at least have a 3rd drastically distinct spec. Unlike Rogues, Hunters (BM is a little different, but not drastically), and Mages (to an extent, they have subtle differences, similar to Hunters).
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Whoever did the Affliction revamp nailed it.

I can't put my finger on why but I really lost interest in my bm hunter during Cata. I've had the same core pets for years (only a day less than the game has been retail for one of them) on my favorite hunter and I don't even bother with rares or chase the family du jour. But something just turned hunters very blah.

As for rogue visuals I hope they keep subtlety, well, subtle.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]