Tank Setup

90 Pandaren Monk
So I am tanking more and more in my guild and was just wondering if I am even in the ballpark of stats.

Could someone take a look and let me know if I am doing good or if I suck at this gearing thing?

I would appreciate any advice you could give. Some of my biggest questions are how much haste/crit is enough? I am reading more that mastery is worth reforging for but is that true and if so where should I prioritize it over haste/crit?
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
You want enough haste so you feel comfortable with your Chi generation. If you can use Purifying whenever you need to (not WANT to, NEED to), then you can stop at that level. Many Brewmasters are looking at around 6-7k haste, but feel free to go more or less if you are more comfortable that way.

Crit vs. mastery is a little different depending on what you are tanking. In general, if it's not 25 man, or 10 man heroic, you can probably get away with crit over mastery, doubly so if you have the Tier 15 bonus. If things are hitting harder, or you are spiking too much, feel free to move some into mastery; if you are having trouble meeting enrage timers, feel free to lean more towards crit (or get decent dps). Reforging isn't super expensive and it's more about what you and your healers are comfortable with.

So basically I just told you do whatever you find gives you the best success. I know, I'm kind of a jerk like that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Crit vs. mastery is a little different depending on what you are tanking. In general, if it's not 25 man, or 10 man heroic, you can probably get away with crit over mastery, doubly so if you have the Tier 15 bonus. If things are hitting harder, or you are spiking too much, feel free to move some into mastery; if you are having trouble meeting enrage timers, feel free to lean more towards crit (or get decent dps). Reforging isn't super expensive and it's more about what you and your healers are comfortable with.

Isn't crit actually the superiors stat for physical damage once you get to a comfortable amount of haste? Almost every top brewmaster I see is reforged mostly to crit, I haven't seen any favoring mastery. With the tier 15 bonuses, crit gets even more important. More crit should mean not only more elusive brew available to you so more protection from physical damage.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
05/03/2013 08:46 AMPosted by Teeninja
Isn't crit actually the superiors stat for physical damage once you get to a comfortable amount of haste?

From a DPS standpoint it's Expertise(Hard Cap) > Crit >>> Haste.

From a mitigation standpoint you are best off stacking Crit unless you are in 25m H or severely undergeared and need more EH.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
From a mitigation standpoint you are best off stacking Crit unless you are in 25m H or severely undergeared and need more EH.

But a lot of 25 heroic brewmasters do stack crit.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
But a lot of 25 heroic brewmasters do stack crit.

12.3k here and I run 25m. I don't think OP will be needing to worry about either of my mentioned scenarios.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
05/03/2013 08:46 AMPosted by Teeninja

Isn't crit actually the superiors stat for physical damage once you get to a comfortable amount of haste? Almost every top brewmaster I see is reforged mostly to crit, I haven't seen any favoring mastery. With the tier 15 bonuses, crit gets even more important. More crit should mean not only more elusive brew available to you so more protection from physical damage.

Crit with the 2pT15 is wonderful for damage smoothing... half the time, since you can't get to the level of crit that would give you 100% coverage with the bonus stagger. It's even the best stat for total damage reduction before any T15 gear. That said, if your healers have really, really slow reaction times, or if you are so undergeared for the content that you need CONSTANT damage smoothing (read: in mostly Heroic T14 taking on Heroic T15 fights), then mastery rises in value.

As for the OP, your gear looks pretty solid. The only advise I would give you is I would STRONGLY recommend the Glyph of Enduring Healing Spheres. There are some fights where you can REALLY help out the healers by wiggling back and forth a bit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]