How is this Pre-built Rig?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258024

My budget for a computer went up so how does this pre-built rig look? I want to be able to play games like Skyrim and TERA Rising on highish settings while maintaining at least 40 fps+. Thanks for any and all feedback.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's very solid. It's better than the ones in the other thread. Decent power supply as well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
That's actually a decent deal. one of the best prebuilt's I've seen price wise. I'd recommend it.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the help. Just ordered the PC a little while ago and I hope I'll be gaming on it sometime next Monday or Tuesday :D. Again, thanks for your help during this process. Hopefully this machine will beat the snot out of my laptop, lol.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Rogue
It's a nice rig, and that 660ti is a pretty decent card, just know that TERA suffers from some pretty bad performance problems and you may not get 40-50fps on the highest settings with that card unless you're in an area completely devoid of other players. I have SLI 680s and an Ivy Bridge i5 and the game still drops down to ~45fps in quest hubs with only 10-15 people around.. during Nexus (or in Zulfikar right after Nexus when there are 600 people idling at the trade broker) the game runs at like 5-10fps. If I turn the settings down to the lowest (which looks worse than WoW) I'll get maybe 10-15. It's ridiculous.

So yeah, I'm just giving you a heads up to let you know that TERA punishes even $800 video card setups, so you're not disappointed when you fire up your new PC and test that game out. The 660ti will eat most other modern games for breakfast at or near the highest settings, though.
Edited by Akeno on 5/7/2013 9:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmm, that sucks. So is the performance problem in TERA an issue just because its so damn graphically demanding or is just not optimized very well for other cards? Regardless though, the fact I can pretty much play whatever else I want on high settings is still pretty good. Guess I'll deal with TERA being so-so as a trade off.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I imagine TERA will tweak their engine and AMD/nvidia will address the issues with drivers as much as they can.

I didn't immediately recognize what kind of case that computer had, but it's an Enermax. That's cool - they've always had a good reputation, but I haven't really seen much from them in the enthusiast market lately, but here they are! Nice case, seems really well done.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Rogue
Hmm, that sucks. So is the performance problem in TERA an issue just because its so damn graphically demanding or is just not optimized very well for other cards? Regardless though, the fact I can pretty much play whatever else I want on high settings is still pretty good. Guess I'll deal with TERA being so-so as a trade off.

It's an optimization problem. An Nvidia employee has even said as much (forums.geforce.com/default/topic/536275/post/3792031/#3792031), stating that there isn't a whole lot they can do on the driver side of things to improve the game's performance since it is just poorly optimized, and is bound more by your CPU than your GPU (in cities my GPU utilization is around 50% on a single 680, CPU is at ~70%, and yet I'm only seeing framerates in the lower 40s).
Reply Quote
Got the computer earlier than I thought I would and everything is great. I can run WoW on ultra while still getting 45+ fps as well as other games. Was an expensive purchase but I'm just glad to be off my old laptop. Having said that I do miss the hell out of the backlighting my laptop computer had.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Great to hear that the performance is satisfactory! By backlighting do you mean on the keyboard? Because that's something you could remedy...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If Avatar did install additional useless software, be sure to remove it. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]