Ret using Shield

90 Human Paladin
Recent Q+A mentioned more with shields - possible future choice for Ret (a la War TG/SMF)? 1h-shield Ret sounds interesting!

I think there is some interesting design space for offensive shield use. The 300s Spartans don't feel like Prot warriors to me. (Source)

source (http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3233-Patch-5-3-The-Old-Seer-Ghostcrawler-on-Tri-Spec-Blue-Tweets-Fifth-Element-Video)

Opinions?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
As long as it's totally optional, and they don't do what they did to Frost DKs to Ret, I'd be okay with it. I don't really think it will happen, though. The original answer that this tweet was responding to had nothing to do with Ret--it was about letting warriors equip shields in an "extra" slot to let them use Shield Wall and Spell Reflection without weapon-swap macros. Ret doesn't have anything like that to worry about.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would love to be able to use 1h/Shield or 2h. It would be so hard to balance it as they are completely optional as to what you would use. If you take into consideration PvP/PvE it would be hard as all hell to balance the two to an optional choice. One will always be better than the other and people don't want that. There will be the 1h/shield lovers 2h lovers and the mix. Its hard to please everyone sadly. :( I want it just because of a few transmog ideas haha
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If we could have auras back and revamped. Ret wouldn't need a shield . Its b.s that DK took a staple like auras form our class and we got nothing. I used to love having the original devotion aura ret and concentration aura atleast psychologically I felt I had a choice. I would love for blizzard to bring auras back to bring us in line with dk's presence's.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
If we could have auras back and revamped. Ret wouldn't need a shield . Its b.s that DK took a staple like auras form our class and we got nothing. I used to love having the original devotion aura ret and concentration aura atleast psychologically I felt I had a choice. I would love for blizzard to bring auras back to bring us in line with dk's presence's.
In what way are DK presences anything at all similarly to the old paladin auras? If anything DK presences are a similar concept to paladin seals, in that they are personal buffs (whereas auras were raid buffs). Actually even that's not a good comparison, DK presences are more along the lines with warrior stances.
Reply Quote
They could simply design a shield spell that can be used offensively/defensively if being tunneled, like arms warriors in WOTLK. Arms warriors used to be able to go sword and board/pop shield block, and spam revenge for retarded burst. That was actually really fun.
Reply Quote
Whatever supports sword 'n' board, count me in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Not sure if some of you ever played Diablo 2, but they had a spell where a "Holy Shield" was cast. It was a shield made out of holy energy that pulsated until the spell wore off.

I think it would be awesome if Ret got a much needed Talent like that, it just appears on your arm, even while wielding a 2 hander. Perhaps combining the old eye for an eye/thorns with a much needed defensive cooldown.

Holy Shield - 1 min cooldown

The paladin creates a Holy shield to protect himself, shield blocks 75% damage from the next 5 attacks, while reflecting 25% of the damage back to the attacker. While active boosts your healing spells used on others by 5%. Lasts for 1 minute or until canceled.

Ret gets a specific unique ability/fighting style that allows for a shield to be used at times, boosts survivability, encourages healing others and gives the paladin more breathing room to be a support class.

Edit: That would mean if you cast it and say the first attack hit you for 100

you would block 75, take 25 damage and deal 25 reflective damage. Didn't think I was clear with it.
Edited by Brutourian on 5/3/2013 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
05/02/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Keten
As long as it's totally optional, and they don't do what they did to Frost DKs to Ret, I'd be okay with it.

That would be the biggest thing. Even fury has an option that's "best." And including a shield in a dps rotation without some sort of mechanic would be pretty empty.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Neverrrrrr if there was a sword and board dps spec it should be "SHOCKADINS"
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The comment about 300 has me in a stir. Can I find other ret pallies and duck under my shield? I would love to see this. Just a swarm of ret paladins moving forward under an enormous shield wall.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The comment about 300 has me in a stir. Can I find other ret pallies and duck under my shield? I would love to see this. Just a swarm of ret paladins moving forward under an enormous shield wall.
That would such a beautiful thing to see.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm down. Quicker attacks + more armor and special 1hd moves would give you an option of more survivability over pure dps - without becoming a tank.
Reply Quote
If I really wanted to DPS with a shield, I'd be prot.

No you wouldn't.

Even glyphed for damage, prot's output is like watching a starving stray dog trying to dig for bones in a concrete sidewalk.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It sounds like they would tinker with it in warrior specs first.

There is nothing "holy" about the spartans, unless you count the ones that died - they're pretty hole-y.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]