An Idea (Using Divine Shield for Offense)

90 Human Paladin
Somewhere around a year ago I developed an idea for an ability that could utilize the potential devastation of the existing Paladin ability "Divine Shield".

Dubbed "Sky-Fall", this ability would essentially be a way for (specifically Alliance) Paladins to drop quickly, strategically, (and very brutally) onto a battlefield or to (if used tactically) assassinate a target of interest via a seemingly lethal vertical free-fall, while averting death upon activating Divine Shield.

Because I'm not too great at explaining things, I have hastily provided a sketch of the various steps included to perform a successful "Sky-Fall" maneuver, in order to provide visual aid.

http://i.imgur.com/RA6b8xS.jpg

Step 1: Signal Mount
(via flare gun)

Step 2: Express Mounting. Grabbing onto an armoured limb of the mount within seconds of it's entry.

Step 3: Vertical Take-off. The objective of this step is to go as high as one's mount will/can go. This also brings up the bond between master and mount. For instance, the stronger the bond, the higher up the mount will go before leaving the master. If the bond is weak, the mount will disband before reaching the optimal altitude for Sky-Fall deployment.

Once the mount has left, the master/Paladin performing the ability will have only milliseconds to position themselves within mid-air for the free-fall drop. Said positioning can be simple or complex, depending on how they with to drop. Upon positioning oneself, momentum will be gained and the unit will be dropping at climbing speeds.

Ex. The diagram shows a complex maneuver to position oneself, reserved only for veteran "Sky-Fallers".

Step 4: Application of Divine Shield. Said spell should only be used seconds before impact with either the ground or the target, as using it before (ie immediately after mount departure in step 3) can be fatal and the Paladin can die upon impact.

Step 5: Impact imminent.

Step 6: Impact. The force from the Paladin's momentum and the invincibility yielded by Divine Shield will utterly crush the opponent, with the Paladin unscathed, leaving a seething holy crater in his wake as he engages the Horde in glorious combat.

This also raises another question, the effectiveness of Divine Shield both IC and in existing lore. I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding the limits that Divine Shield possesses. He pointed to the novel Arthas explaining that Divine Shield only deflects piercing effects, and that the user could still feel pressure, pain, etc.

Another question, is Divine Shield, in Lore, a bubble, or a full protective magical layer that encases the user (similar to the Halo Series' spartan/elite shielding)?

Here's another image to assist in visual aid, containing a particular Alliance-affiliated Sin'dorei:

http://images.wikia.com/moon-guard/images/c/c8/Skyfall.png

Discuss Moon Guard.

The idea itself, the limits of Divine Shield, Azerothian physics, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You mean your instructors never dangled you off the roof and told you faith would save you? Maybe it was a Dawn thing.

I think this has been used IC for both insertion and mayhem by various people ever since it was discovered that DS/Iceblock would negate falling damage in gameplay. (Does IB even do that still? I can't remember.) It is a bit goofy, though, so depends on the tone of the scene.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
05/02/2013 08:11 PMPosted by Satterly
(Does IB even do that still? I can't remember.)

It does, but if you're moving forward in midair when you use it, you immediately lose forward momentum and just fall straight down.
Edited by Kunocati on 5/2/2013 8:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Oh nice, I remember it changed somehow but I think the difference is that it used to freeze you hanging in the air or something like that.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Priest
It's one of the coolest ideas I've heard in quite some time. Reminds me of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers.

I like it.

I've not much to say regarding physics, its limits, or such of a similar nature, despite my belief that it could work.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/02/2013 08:11 PMPosted by Satterly
I think this has been used IC for both insertion and mayhem by various people ever since it was discovered that DS/Iceblock would negate falling damage in gameplay.

I remember, I think it was Lyionn who mentioned that he used it prior to my discovery of it over a year ago.

It's one of the coolest ideas I've heard in quite some time. Reminds me of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers.

I like it.

I've not much to say regarding physics, its limits, or such of a similar nature, despite my belief that it could work.

Thank you!

Figured that Alliance Paladins, since most of our lore has been stripped, neglected, or downgraded for the sake of neutrality, should get something with a "cool" factor, but at the same time, show a sort of brutality or savagery that the Alliance has been bottling up inside themselves with this tactic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I imagine a Paladin in a bubble hitting the ground then shooting right back up into the air as if (s)he were a giant super power ball.

I guess the effect would be the same. I'd keel over and die from laughter.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I, personally, would not free-fall face first. I do use the shield ICly in long falls, but still implement gravity and physics, despite the actual force of the fall being passed into the shield. Example being, having to take a knee, or rolling.

Other than that, I've toyed with the idea of using it to slam into people, though my character is generally true to her Ret spec.

Or only generating a flat surface, then turning it to the side and using the edge as a blade.

Or creating it as a horizontal surface to act as a platform, though I would not suggest 'flying' with it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I imagine a Paladin in a bubble hitting the ground then shooting right back up into the air as if (s)he were a giant super power ball.

I guess the effect would be the same. I'd keel over and die from laughter.

I'd keel over and die from laughter

I think you'd just die from the sheer weight of a paladin dropping on you at colossal speeds.

Splat.

I, personally, would not free-fall face first. I do use the shield ICly in long falls, but still implement gravity and physics, despite the actual force of the fall being passed into the shield. Example being, having to take a knee, or rolling.

Other than that, I've toyed with the idea of using it to slam into people, though my character is generally true to her Ret spec.

Or only generating a flat surface, then turning it to the side and using the edge as a blade.

Or creating it as a horizontal surface to act as a platform, though I would not suggest 'flying' with it.

Such a courageous, and near suicidal tactic is only reserved for the most tenacious, ferocious, and the finest that the Alliance has to offer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think you'd just die from the sheer weight of a paladin dropping on you at colossal speeds.

... Imagion a Tauren doing that...

That would hurt. A lot.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Priest

That would hurt. A lot.

It wouldn't hurt at all. You'd be dead the moment whoever it was landed.

That would be the case for just about anyone doing this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/02/2013 11:05 PMPosted by Orissan

That would hurt. A lot.

Alliance only.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think this has been used IC for both insertion and mayhem by various people ever since it was discovered that DS/Iceblock would negate falling damage in gameplay.

I remember, I think it was Lyionn who mentioned that he used it prior to my discovery of it over a year ago.
I asked my brother about that. And he said he did something like that. His character did it simply to survive a fall after getting knocked off an Alliance airship during battle. But never came up with the idea of using it as a living cannonball like you did. :D
Edited by Sarîa on 5/3/2013 12:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I came into this thread thinking this was a 'buff divine shield lol' which is silly.

but i was happily surprised.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Alliance only.

I beg to differ, sir!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
If a well placed throw can pierce said bubble...which implies said faith can be shattered in the face of open combat, I'd put my money on that shield giving you the ability to -survive- the fall, not turn it into a weapon is about as good as it gets. If it is a hard enough barrier to impact the ground then its a solid shield yes? So...whats keeping -you- from impacting the inside of the shield and braining yourself on your own hypocrisy and zeal?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
If a well placed throw can pierce said bubble...which implies said faith can be shattered in the face of open combat, I'd put my money on that shield giving you the ability to -survive- the fall, not turn it into a weapon is about as good as it gets. If it is a hard enough barrier to impact the ground then its a solid shield yes? So...whats keeping -you- from impacting the inside of the shield and braining yourself on your own hypocrisy and zeal?

Shattering throw isn't throwing a weapon and the shield breaking. It's manifesting enough anger and rage into one toss that's so strong it can cleave through magic.

Or the throwing weapon is magical.
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
let's be totally realistic here, if you throw yourself bodily at people while protected by a divine shield, you're only going to hit them for half damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I and a few other paladins in my guild from years ago used to do this. If a lower level guild member was getting ganked (It was a PvP server) while leveling through Outlands or Northrend we would link up and fly above the "drop zone". Then once our guild member on the ground gave the confirmation that the enemy was still there, we dropped. Three or four paladins falling out of the sky must've been quite the sight to those on the ground.

As far as IC I'm having hard time picturing someone pulling this off. Divine Shield is great for blocking attacks, but we're talking about a LOT of kinetic force built up from the free fall. I suppose one could always pull the old "A wizard did it" line. Or perhaps the holy magic from the DS pushes downward, absorbing the shock and cushioning the impact that would normally break the paladin's legs. Actually...I like that last one, let's just roll with that.

On a side note: This move always reminded me of Starship Troopers and how the Mobile Infantry would drop their men from orbit right into the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/03/2013 12:20 AMPosted by Sarîa

I asked my brother about that. And he said he did something like that. His character did it simply to survive a fall after getting knocked off an Alliance airship during battle. But never came up with the idea of using it as a living cannonball like you did. :D

Hah, knew it was him!

but i was happily surprised.

Glad to hear it bud!

05/03/2013 01:28 AMPosted by Heartling
Alliance only.

I beg to differ, sir!

Heartling pls.

You're not even 90 yet.

05/03/2013 07:26 AMPosted by Maroen

Shattering throw isn't throwing a weapon and the shield breaking. It's manifesting enough anger and rage into one toss that's so strong it can cleave through magic.

Or the throwing weapon is magical.

Like I said in the OP, this brings up the limits and how much "punishment" the Shield itself can take.

I'm under the assumption that Divine Shield renders the user 8 seconds of utter invincibility simply because there's no argument in lore against it (Shattering Throw and Mass Dispel = Game Mechanics), other then what was mentioned in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, from a discussion I had with a friend.

let's be totally realistic here, if you throw yourself bodily at people while protected by a divine shield, you're only going to hit them for half damage.

Heh.

Actually...I like that last one, let's just roll with that.

Me too.

On a side note: This move always reminded me of Starship Troopers and how the Mobile Infantry would drop their men from orbit right into the fight.

There was something that inspired the idea, I think it was a mix of the ODST from Halo, the Mobile Infantry from SST, and the Space Marines of 40k.

I can't remember the solid inspiration for the idea though, I remember there was something else...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]