Titan: Only a Blizzard Game Can Kill WoW

90 Gnome Mage
Rumors of Blizzards next MMO have been circulating for years. Checking an old timeline leaked years back, Titan is to be released at the same time as the next expansion of WoW. I haven't been too concerned about Titan as I always heard it was going to be an MMOFPS. Well, until the latest unconfirmed "Leak" See Below:

Game Universe
It's based on Earth's history, but also includes a high amount of fiction. It will have a "deep history", just as Warcraft and Starcraft.
They're intending to include many Warcraft elements into Titan's world. Mostly Easter Eggs, but can also extend to entire characters being ported into the new game, one way or another.
There will be a lot of Time Travel.
When it comes to weapons, we'll have almost everything at our disposal, from magic to guns.
Heavy use of Greek, Roman and Viking myths.
They've invited some established writers (Richard A. Knaak for example) to help with the storyline.

Game-play
It's an MMORPG. We'll play from a 3rd person view, but there will also be a first person view during "events". No extra clarification as to the nature of these events could be given.
TAB targeting in combat.
It will benefit from a completely new game engine.
Graphics will be in the established "Blizzard style".
Primarily a PC game, but next-gen consoles are still being considered. Probably after launch, as with D3.
Expected 12+ PEGI.
It's designed with eSports in mind. They will try to grow it into a successful eSport.
There will be "clan" housing. No details on player-housing.
Last but not least, the game will have an Auction House. Nothing conclusive about a Real-Money Auction House but it is possible. As an extra tidbit, Blizzard was also considering introducing a RMAH into WoW at one point, but apparently not anymore.

Miscellaneous
150 developers working on it now. Last we've been told, in September last year, there were just a bit over 100, so the team is growing at a nice pace, quickly becoming the biggest one. They're about to bring new Community Managers into the team and some testers that will be needed in the near future. Many of the new team members have come from Blizzard's other projects.
Speaking of inside transfers, Jay Wilson is on the Titan team. Please don't go overboard with this. ^^
English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish localization now. More will come during beta.
They were considering implementing easy in-game recording at one point, unsure of the state of this at the moment.
BLIZZCON 2013 - Titan Teaser, details on expansions for all other major franchises (SC2, D3, WoW). There will be other small Titan teasers at the event but nothing major. They don't want to show any game-play until they have a solid date for beta.
Speaking of which, current plan is to open Family & Friends testing in Q1 2014.
The game has a name already that has been changed multiple times over the course of the development process. Unknown unfortunately.
They're going full-out when it comes to the soundtrack. Each zone will have its own song, and the songs will vary vastly in type, rhythm. We've reported before that Jason Hayes has returned to Blizzard, so this is definitely not surprising.

I'm not going to lie, this sounds AWESOME!!! Also, Titan is in fact an MMORPG and in direct competion with WoW (and not the MMOFPS I was hoping for). However, I'm so dmn heavily vested into WoW and this game seems to be WoW 2.0 -- the natural successor. I didn't read anything about IMPORTING MY CHARACTER (God that would be PERFECT) or anything. Basically, I've invested so much of my life building up this character / my accounts that I really don't want to part with them... Am I the only one who has this type of reaction and actually get depressed reading about Titan? The only company that can put out a game that can in fact kill will Wow is blizzard themselves...

nn flames / spams / and "QQ more" comments. I'm a very avid collector of TCG / Recipes / Mounts / etc and WoW is my hobby and I'm sure I'm not alone...
Edited by Ilistokedill on 5/2/2013 11:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Can I be undead?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
They will not kill WoW with it. They will go to great lengths to make sure of that, probably including some kind of link between the games where playing one has small but significant benefits in the other, or even allowing entire elements of WoW to be transferred into Titan.

They would be fools to throw away 9 million WoW players and trade them for 9 million Titan players, rather than keeping 9 million people playing each game.

Edit: I want to know just what Titan is...more than anything else in the world at this time honestly. They could do so much with it...I just hope it doesn't suffer the same problems as WoW while still bringing everything awesome from it.
Edited by Dampledobe on 5/2/2013 11:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
They will not kill WoW with it. They will go to great lengths to make sure of that, probably including some kind of link between the games where playing one has small but significant benefits in the other, or even allowing entire elements of WoW to be transferred into Titan.

They would be fools to throw away 9 million WoW players and trade them for 9 million Titan players, rather than keeping 9 million people playing each game.

If I could import my character... problem solved.

Thing is though to consider that WoW is very old. Although the engine is solid and is better than any other MMO, the graphics definitely show the game's age. There is a lot that Blizz would probably also like to do with server mergers / housing / etc and would do things differently had they had they known what they know now. Basically, Titan is the opportunity to learn from WoW and recode / reorganize the world from a perspective of having 10million+ users and billions of dollars at their disposal.

I see what you're saying, but to ensure ppl continue using blizzard products, they have to stay up with the times and maybe this is WoW 2.0. There is too much at stake for a WoW clone to come out with current graphics and tweaks against wow's weaknesses to cripple our player base. I think my fears are plausible.
Edited by Ilistokedill on 5/2/2013 11:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If I could import my character... problem solved.Thing is though to consider

Honestly, (and take this with a grain of salt, I'm usually wrong on this type of thing) it would be AWESOME if they did something like make Titan the very distant, perhaps alternate-timeline future of Azeroth. There could be an entirely new story built in this alternate timeline, and it wouldn't have to just be WoW 2. Again, not likely but how cool would it be if the races left after WoW's era ends find all this crazy !@#$ from some other, long lost timeline and uses it to face modern threats.

Times to take my crazy person pills >.<.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
05/02/2013 11:30 PMPosted by Dampledobe
If I could import my character... problem solved.Thing is though to consider

Honestly, (and take this with a grain of salt, I'm usually wrong on this type of thing) it would be AWESOME if they did something like make Titan the very distant, perhaps alternate-timeline future of Azeroth. There could be an entirely new story built in this alternate timeline, and it wouldn't have to just be WoW 2. Again, not likely but how cool would it be if the races left after WoW's era ends find all this crazy !@#$ from some other, long lost timeline and uses it to face modern threats.

Times to take my crazy person pills >.<.

To me, Titan almost sounds like WoW's prequel in some sorts...
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
The fact that writers like Knaak are going to be working on the story makes me shy away from it. Personally I do not like his writing, others might but he isn't for me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The fact that writers like Knaak are going to be working on the story makes me shy away from it. Personally I do not like his writing, others might but he isn't for me.

Was Knaak the fellow who wrote that mage that was killed in Theramore? I get their names confused
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Edit: I want to know just what Titan is...more than anything else in the world at this time honestly. They could do so much with it...I just hope it doesn't suffer the same problems as WoW while still bringing everything awesome from it.

Think about WoW as an experiment. When WoW first came out, MMOs weren't really a huge deal. You had Everquest, Runescape, Ultima Online, Lineage, Final Fantasy XI... the list goes on. So there was definitely no shortage. But the genre as we know it today was still young.

Years later, Blizzard now knows first-hand what sort of challenges to expect in developing an MMO. They've learned from their own mistakes. They've been around long enough to observe the mistakes of others. They know how to plan with all this in mind from the ground up. They're going to be able to put together a much better framework on which to build this new game. They'll be able to do more when developing an MMO now than they did before.

I've heard programmers have been battling with legacy code in WoW every step of the way and this makes things very difficult when you want to change fundamental aspects of the game. I don't anticipate that Titan will have this kind of problem because they can start fresh knowing now what they didn't know years back.

Edit: I just remembered one more popular MMO, and have added it to the list above.
Edited by Zenkrush on 5/2/2013 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
15 Pandaren Shaman
I know how you feel about being upset concerning losing the progress you made in WoW because of Titan, but you must remember that all good things must come to an end. Enjoy the time you have left (which is likely to be awhile)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Honestly the only thing i could really see killing wow (from outside the company at least) would be say a Pokemon mmo. Scoff if you will but considering the possible install base, many from within the wow community even if that ever happened it could do so damage.

Not that it ever will of course, just throwing it out there.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
05/03/2013 12:23 AMPosted by Adiikt
Honestly the only thing i could really see killing wow (from outside the company at least) would be say a Pokemon mmo.

Yeah, I was always a Magic the Gathering guy, but my kids are now into Pokemon. I could see your point
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
8 years...nothing will kill WoW. even if theres a MMO that finally reaches WoW type subs, there is NO current MMO that will ever be as good as WoW has.

blizzard has let the second class MMO's mock them(rift) and has brushed all these other "WoW killers"(Star Wars, GW2) off their shoulders like a common fly.

when Titan is released, there grip on the MMO genre will tighten to a point where some companies might complain of a monopoly.

I'm not a fan boy, but you gotta give credit where credit is due. blizzard has killed the computer game industry.

Diablo classic is straight up legendary. diablo 2 murdered it. even Diablo 3 has tons of people playing it.

lets not even talk about the starcraft franchise. hands down legendary RTS game.

and Warcraft....man oh man.... Blizz runs the computer game industry. when Titan comes up, best believe they will have 4 million + subs starting off.
Reply Quote
75 Pandaren Monk
8 years...nothing will kill WoW. even if theres a MMO that finally reaches WoW type subs, there is NO current MMO that will ever be as good as WoW has.

blizzard has let the second class MMO's mock them(rift) and has brushed all these other "WoW killers"(Star Wars, GW2) off their shoulders like a common fly.

when Titan is released, there grip on the MMO genre will tighten to a point where some companies might complain of a monopoly.

I'm not a fan boy, but you gotta give credit where credit is due. blizzard has killed the computer game industry.

Diablo classic is straight up legendary. diablo 2 murdered it. even Diablo 3 has tons of people playing it.

lets not even talk about the starcraft franchise. hands down legendary RTS game.

and Warcraft....man oh man.... Blizz runs the computer game industry. when Titan comes up, best believe they will have 4 million + subs starting off.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Stopped reading at e-sport.

Try-hards be tryin too hard.
Reply Quote
95 Undead Rogue
I know someone who worked for Blizzard until recently (got caught in that layoff about a year go). They saw some of what "Titan" is while they were there and "leaked" to me their info (after they were no longer w/the co.).

From them (keep in mind I cannot prove any of this):

1. It is an MMO
2. It's 'setting' is 'futuristic', rather 'post holocost' in that earth was invaded by some sort of aliens, has just recently fought them off and the story opens in the early aftermath of all that mess.
3. The 'feel' of the game is supposed to be a bit more 'gritty' than WoW, some of which some people my experience as a little "steam punkish", though not of the classic sort.
4. At least one "class" (at the time -- this may have changed) is/was supposed to have the ability to "slice time" -- however that's supposed to work (they had no specifics).
5. It is not supposed to be a direct 'competitor' with any of Blizzard's other games; WoW, SC or D3

That's essentially it without trying to recreate several hours of conversation verbatim.

Hope that helps, for whatever it's worth.
Reply Quote
81 Worgen Hunter
Just a thought..
it's been said MULTIPLE times

it's named "Project: Titan"

The name isn't necessarily "Titan"
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I will play wow till the end, probably nothing afterwards besides old ps1 nintendo games. I hate the next gen type of graphics.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
It's designed with eSports in mind. They will try to grow it into a successful eSport.

Lost me entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I hope Titan has nothing to do with WoW. People need to learn to let things go.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]