Too much hit in brewmaster

90 Blood Elf Monk
Okay, so the entire time I have tanked for I have refused to take any stam gems or enchants, my logic being almost nothing in a monk's toolkit works based on percent hp and even oondasta can't one shot me so why take stam. But now I have a problema...

After doing the math of stat gains for taking the valor trinket, I would be about 650 hit over the hit cap, after fully reforging out of it. I currently can drop 960 hit through gems and a further 180 through an enchant, but by doing so I would have to gem stam in the slots that hit was previously in.

Now my question is, is halfway stam stacking or being over hit cap worse?

I know quite a few monk tanks that stam stack and hate healing them. But if its just to avoid being over hit soft cap would it be alright?

I know that elusive brew stacks, gift of the ox, and overall auto attack damage leading towards statue guards all work based on white hits, so leaning towards just keeping the extra hit myself.

Curious what more experienced tanks have to say on the matter though. 7.5%+ hit or keep at 7.5% and swap out gems for stam after?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Can you just gem Haste/Stam so you are getting some other benefits?
Edited by Rexgoliath on 5/3/2013 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Stamina does give effective health just not as much as mastery. But more for magic damage. So do you think having nearly 1,000 of a completely wasted stat or a fairly decent amount of effective health is better?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I wouldn't say completely wasted, would help towards brew stacks. But, to clarify, you would say just do stam/haste gems?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I wouldn't say completely wasted, would help towards brew stacks. But, to clarify, you would say just do stam/haste gems?

Check out my blues =P At 7.70% hit.

It's really just the VP trinkets fault soon as you can replace that the issue will go away.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Few possible suggestions. Change your cloak enchant to crit. Change your weapon reforge. Its currently mastery->hit. Make it mastery->haste? Also on par with your point about stam, if you are still over hit cap you could forgo the blue socket bonus of 90 stam on your shoulders and go with a full haste gem. Either way I think you should get the trink, it will far exceed the 483 650 over hit or not. Side note to ponder. Might it be better to get the agi meta gem?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Did the math, doing the above would put you about 409 hit rating over cap. Could change more gems and go haste/stam to be only roughly 90 over cap?
Reply Quote
Although you're correct that a little extra white hit isn't completely wasted for a dual wielder, and it would help very slightly with gift of the ox and statue guards, it cannot in fact result in additional elusive brew procs. Auto attacks work off of a one-roll system, so it's (oddly enough) the case that auto-attack crits cannot miss. You won't gain any additional crits with more white hit; you'll just get fewer misses with your regular attacks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Good to know. And yeah I am still a couple valor away from the trinket (should get tomorrow) so as of now I'm still reforged and enchanted to get 7.5% hit.

Side note to ponder. Might it be better to get the agi meta gem?

Would agi meta really be better than armor one? I've heard armor is suprisingly good as a stat for brewmasters. But I'm all ears if its not the case :) Hard to check what top monks are doing as they all have the fancy legendary one

Edit: way over expertise cap for those who inspect me because got the rentaki trinket last night went to bed right after. Fixing that now :/
Edited by Vivâla on 5/3/2013 3:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
this is more or less why i avoided that shado pan trinket like the plague. i already have trouble keeping hit down to 7.5 as it is. let alone if i got a trinket with over 1k of it. yeah **** that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Higher Alcolhol lvls= Higher Hit rating.

Every Drunken Fu Master Knows that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
the agi meta gem provides attack power, crit, and dodge. not to mention extra crit damage.I really think it just tends to be how you feel. for awhile I was running the 2 percent magic resist meta since I chose dampen harm. once I was geared I want with the agi
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Why is this even a question?

hit over cap - zero value
stamina - more buffer
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Can you just gem Haste/Stam so you are getting some other benefits?

Out of topic but I would so transmog that staff to staff of grace. Nothing feels more like a monk then a stick with a gourd on it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Why is this even a question?

hit over cap - zero value
stamina - more buffer

Yeah the original question was pretty much answered from the post where the person pointed out that elusive brew doesn't get any increase from extra hit :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Pretty much all classes that have no use for Hit over 7.5% have this problem atm. As ilvl continues to increase, it takes less and less pieces with +hit to reach the soft cap. Combine that with the fact that Blizzard has put +hit on most of the valor pieces, valor trinket, and a lot of the offset pieces ... you're left with just way more +hit than you can possibly shed even with reforging.

I'm currently at 9.1% Hit with no way to shed more atm as well. I'm running Renatakis and the valor trinket, and strongly considering dropping that for Bad Juju or even Talisman of Bloodlust just so I can reclaim those stats. Bloodlust would even let me shed a bit of haste as well, of course.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]