Best way to earn gold?

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
So I'm still kind of new to WoW, only joined two to three months ago, maybe. I have things to learn, but currently I'm wondering what the best way to earn gold is. I'm not going to say 'fastest' because I know you can't earn gold fast. It takes time and patience, I have learned that. I have read many other threads about this, and I see people saying, "Gee, gold is easy to make! I can get like 30k in a week!". Is that actually true? Can people make 30kg in a week? It's been two or three weeks and I have made total 10k, maybe. But currently it's all in the guild bank, and that could've been 10k, is really 7k. I took up some professions, mining and jc. The mining is what made all of that money, and i tried leveling jc along the way, but after my mining was like 300 and my jc was 60 I gave up. I focused on mining, it is now 523 and i'm working on jc. JC alone has cost me quite a bit of money, 3kg worth and I'm only at 200 something. I've been buying everything from the AH because I didn't feel like going through that mining process again.

Okay, so I went off on a bunny trail, my apologies. Back to the question. What is your opinion of the BEST way to earn gold? Should I continue on professions, run a bunch of level 60-80 dungeons, go questing, etc.? If it is fairly easy for you to make gold, please, I am begging you, share your ways!

Also, I should have mentioned this.. I have decided to save up 45-50kg to purchase Vial of the Sands. I've always wanted to be able to transform into a mount and have other people ride me. So, this is why I would like to know the best way to earn gold. Any help is deeply appreciated. :)
1 Gnome Warlock
The thing is that most people will not randomly discuss the "best way" to make gold or at least what they have found with a random stranger because that will create competition. I will however go over some basics that I have found to be useful and rather profitable for almost no extra effort.

You state "best" way to earn gold but I think you need to understand how gold can be earned at a basic level and determine what's best for you. There is essentially 4 ways to make gold:

Quest Rewards
Farming/Looting
Crafting
AH Flipping

Questing such as dailies and farming usually has the lowest hourly return however its almost entirely brainless. Example, Kill mob loot gold and vendor items or post on AH if you know it will sell more on the AH. Increasing loot profits takes almost no additional time just set to auto loot so yo loot EVERYTHING, most people I personally know sort through loot and leave behind items, that takes longer and is less profitable, there are some greys worth a few hundred gold. If you don't have bag space to do that then invest in bigger bags, they will pay for themselves in the long run. I personally hate thefarming so I don't mine/herb but it is a pretty solid steady gold flow. All of these methods take only time as investment so safe but like I said least profit/hour.

Crafting can be VERY profitable if you know what you are doing but in my personal opinion it's time consuming. You have to either scan trade for raw mats, search AH for them, or farm them yourself. Then you have to craft X amount of Item and then either sell in trade or in AH for a profit or a "tip". This method of earning gold can require more trial and error too. You have to understand market value of raw mats and market value/demand or finished product. Also depending on the realm you may have to micro manage your auction of finished gems, bags, enchants etc so you don't get undercut and lose sales. I personally stay away from this method of making gold as much as possible.

AH flipping in my opinion is where the big gold is. It can be hard to do however depending on the realm activity. You seem to maybe find 30k in 1 week hard to believe from how you ask about it but I can tell you that you can easily make a few hundred thousand with little time and well executed trades. I don't go hardcore on the AH and have made 200k net in 1 week before doing this so I would imagine those more active can do more. This method is however the most dangerous. Think of it like day trading. You will have to have a very good understanding of the market values and fluctuations of the items you plan to flip. I have found even keeping up with patch notes helps with estimating price drops/jumps.

If you don't want to deal with the risks or just don't enjoy crafting etc then I would suggest that you just run old raids and do your dailies. I do Black Temple once a week for the Warglaives and after awhile I started tracking my gold per run. I kill all trash and loot everything. I vendor some items, DE others, and sell others on AH as is. For taking maybe an extra 10 minutes of my time doing this, I make about 1500g per Black Temple run and I am sure other soloable raids are similar.
Edited by Popeil on 5/6/2013 9:20 PM PDT
89 Worgen Rogue
The best way I like to make gold is with mining ghost iron. Ghost iron sell really fast and goes for a high price. On my server it sells in 1-2 hours for 70G per stack so you can mine and get 10 stacks and while it's selling you can do farming of more ghost iron and by the time your done all will have sold. Hope this helps!:)
89 Gnome Priest
Get the Auctioneer addon, buy up the stupidly low price things which can be indicated by a percentage of 50% or less, relist them, then go mine high level ores, or farm for valuable resources. Every few hours, check for new listings.
44 Pandaren Rogue
If the auction house in your realm sucks, and you dont want to do all the work for farming, and putting items on the auction house or running around doing dailies, I would run the dungeon called Halls of Lightning in Ulduar (Northrend). If you have an ilvl of at least 500ish, you should be able to complete it in about 7-8 minutes, then sell items to a very close vendor for about 150g. Then log out and go back in the dungeon. I've been able to get about 7 runs an hour, which will give you approximately 1,050g an hour just by selling to a vendor! This means you can earn 25,200g for a day of play time!!! Hope this helps for people that want to make gold mindlessly!!!! :D
90 Pandaren Monk
My fav way to make 100g that takes MAYBE 1.5 seconds of effort is to summon my Nomi bell, take a free token, and buy a soy sauce to sell on the AH. x10 toons = 1k a day for less than a minutes work :)

Of course it DID take raising all of my toons cooking to 600 and then teaching all my Nomi's for a few weeks but.... well worth it, get started today!
Edited by Sugarpaws on 11/26/2013 8:41 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
sell shadowmourne items

speaking of which

PST me if you're interesting since i have them all to sell right now!
(FrostWeave cloth)
Here's a few good ways to gold farm....If you managed to get tailoring,And you are 80-90
and have northern scavenger passive,You can farm a spot in ice crown that has a crazy amount of NPCs to kill.The northern scavenger allows you to take advantage of all those NPCs by dropping a lot of Frost Weave cloth.Those usually go for 20+ a stack,I sell them for 40-50 on my server.

(Ghost Iron Ore)
If you are able to do Scenarios,Then do a lot of those because the treasure box you get at the end drops Spirits of harmony or what ever they're called.Those can be traded in for Ghost iron ore,One mote of harmony will get you 20 ghost iron ore.You can average from 3-7 spirits of harmony from one box,Plus you get the gold from scenarios.The best way to farm gold with this idea is if you have smelting,But ore still sells for a good amount,People want to level their skills up without farming sometimes....

(Farming Pets)
Alot of people go crazy for pets,So if you can get some type of guide or addon that tells you where to farm rare pets,That would be a way to go to.But you can always google the locations as well if you don't like downloading addons.In order to get full value of the rare pets are to also level them.But some people prefer it some others don't,Either way they can sell for alot.
90 Human Paladin
I make 70% of my gold from selling pets. If you farm the old BC raids most of those pets sell for 2-3k each. It's not a ton, but it adds up.
(FrostWeave cloth)
Here's a few good ways to gold farm....If you managed to get tailoring,And you are 80-90
and have northern scavenger passive,You can farm a spot in ice crown that has a crazy amount of NPCs to kill.The northern scavenger allows you to take advantage of all those NPCs by dropping a lot of Frost Weave cloth.Those usually go for 20+ a stack,I sell them for 40-50 on my server.

(Ghost Iron Ore)
If you are able to do Scenarios,Then do a lot of those because the treasure box you get at the end drops Spirits of harmony or what ever they're called.Those can be traded in for Ghost iron ore,One mote of harmony will get you 20 ghost iron ore.You can average from 3-7 spirits of harmony from one box,Plus you get the gold from scenarios.The best way to farm gold with this idea is if you have smelting,But ore still sells for a good amount,People want to level their skills up without farming sometimes....

(Farming Pets)
Alot of people go crazy for pets,So if you can get some type of guide or addon that tells you where to farm rare pets,That would be a way to go to.But you can always google the locations as well if you don't like downloading addons.In order to get full value of the rare pets are to also level them.But some people prefer it some others don't,Either way they can sell for alot.

ALSO I AM WORKING ON A VERY VERY GOOD LEVELING GUIDE AS WELL AS GOLD FARMING GUIDE,WHEN I FINISH IT I WILL POST THE LINK FOR YOU ALL! SO BOOKMARK THIS THREAD BECAUSE IT WILL BE A GAME CHANGING EXPERIENCE WHEN I HAVE FINISHED,SORRY FOR CAPS LOL.....
1 Human Priest
Yes, it is possible to earn 30k a week. As someone who spends their time playing the AH as they no longer have the time to raid as they once did. I find this is a good way to pass my time, while I casually quest, raid, and just chat with the friends I have online. As it was stated in above I wont tell you my secrets to earning this kind of gold. But I will share some tips and tricks that might get you started in the right direction.

1. It takes money to make money. What I mean is you can find a great amount of potential profit flipping items in the AH. The problem is you have to buy them first and that requires gold. So remember to start small and not to put all your eggs in the same basket.

2. 1c in profit is still profit. While some hate to be bothered by the "small stuff" I'm not. But yes at times I leave the the small game to others too as I have bigger things to focus on.

3. Know your server. You said you are relatively new to the game. With that said I would suggest staying away from flipping gear until you have leveled a few toons and understand the servers strengths and weaknesses when it comes to what is in demand. You said you are leveling handcrafting. While that is an ok profession I would have suggested looking into inscription and herbing (but on the other hand I think I have one of each major professions covered between my alts)

4. Know your server even more! What I mean here is find out what the peak play times are and tailor your auctions to match when people are online. Ie on weekends I sell more inscriptions, and gear. Whereas on Tuesdays I seem to sell more enchants and ________. Reason being is the raiders are hitting things right after the reset so Tuesdays need more enchants for their gear. Whereas the casual player finds their time to play on the weekend and they don't want to deal with finding the one piece of gear. They would rather just purchase it from the AH and enjoy what limited time they do have online.

5. Get yourself some good addons to track sales, purchases, item prices, etc. . . the last thing you want to do is sell an item at a loss and not know it. After all you do want to make gold right?

6. Be honest with people. You will gain many repeat customers who wont mind paying slightly more if they know you can consistently deliver what they need.

7. Organization. If you don't have an Auction/Bank alt. Start now as you will make some enemies in the process too. Personally I have three level 1 banking/auction alts I like to rotate through as it keeps the competition on their toes. I also find it easier to manage auctions from a single toon rather then 2, 3, 4, even 5 separate characters.

And lastly don't think things will happen overnight. If you want to hit that 30k a week dream you hear about know it takes hours of monitoring your auctions for undercutting. Camping the AH for items in demand at low prices. Scanning trade for people selling items in demand. And a constant string of auctions being listed.

I know there are naysayers out there who don't think its possible. But I returned to the game 4 days ago and just playing things very conservatively while i feel-out the current market (after being away for a few months) and I am still making 600g/day which will begin to go up slightly more as i begin to go 'all in'.
90 Draenei Shaman
The best way I like to make gold is with mining ghost iron. Ghost iron sell really fast and goes for a high price. On my server it sells in 1-2 hours for 70G per stack so you can mine and get 10 stacks and while it's selling you can do farming of more ghost iron and by the time your done all will have sold. Hope this helps!:)

I agree, in fact you can go on the auction house on my server, buy ghost iron ore, sell it for like 100-150 and it sells really fast!
40 Pandaren Monk
I have the same problem, but usually I just do dungeons and stuff like that and BOOM! gold
28 Night Elf Druid
I would recommend dungeons, for me they are the fastest way to get gold. Each dungeon I get about 15+ gold.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I would recommend dungeons, for me they are the fastest way to get gold. Each dungeon I get about 15+ gold.

Since you're clearly new I will give you a pass but 15g is hardly anything. Read what popeil wrote if you are interested in making gold.

Side note please quit necroing this thread random people from other realms.
90 Human Mage
I find a combination of farming instant respawn mobs with good gear on and AH flipping to be the best cash in the game. If your server has a strong economy you can make tons of gold flipping things, but grinding is constant cash. Ive had periods of grinding over 20k an hour in gold and ah sales in areas such as the slateskin troublemakers in the vale(now removed from the game) sold so many alani mounts to people using my skycrystals and worked with people to give them good rates and even barter with them for the mount. You just have to know what your server likes and how to please them.
Kindness often gets repeat customers. Ive cheered at people and thanked them if i see them next to me in the auctionhouse buying all my cloth. And you know what usually happens, they might buy another item from you in bulk even if it costs them a few gold more than the competition. I do the same thing myself. Using auctionator or auctioneer is a must too if you really want to make money. Dailies give you money, sure. But people who think they are the best way to make money have another thing coming :P

Remember also, from CATA through MOP potions of treasure finding and potions of luck add another dimension of cash making potential to farming mobs. We may not have the elemental plateau of nagrand or the insanely fast aoe farming of icecrown deathknight mobs anymore but there are PLENTY of instant spawns in CATA and MOP waiting to be harvested by a tactful player.

P.S. People who know some of those areas which im refering to, if you want to keep them the way they are, stop posting youtube videos of them and getting blizzard to hit them with a nerf bat. A lot of places that have been nerfed were really nice options for people who want to work for their money. A vast amount of gold in the economy is sold to buyers from hackers and instant spawns in my opinion are a legit way to make good gold without having to resort to bad measures.
Edited by Ayahuska on 1/13/2014 2:08 AM PST
14 Undead Hunter
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HkIsfkr2Wh8srgOzuGwOIe4wuFgHMY4SfuxcZqUQPXk/pub

Great !@#$!
If you want to start having an actual eco and buying whatever you want...
I just read this link, and it is a really good one. Thank You

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HkIsfkr2Wh8srgOzuGwOIe4wuFgHMY4SfuxcZqUQPXk/pub
90 Night Elf Warrior
hey everyone wanted to kno an easy way to get abit of gold just trying to get that last flying thing haha ?????
90 Human Monk
AH flipping and selling pets is super easy and a decent stream of gold.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]