Please work a bit more on elemental for 5.3

90 Tauren Druid
In single target dps and pvp, elemental is still lagging behind other casters significantly. The developers know the things that the elemental shamans have been asking for for quite awhile, so its not like they haven't come up with "hey if we had to fix elemental how would we do it" notes.

Elemental lacks in single target dps, multi target dps when the targets are spread out, and arena pvp.

Elemental is good at grouped aoe (4-5 targets is best for the max chain lightning use)

The only reason elemental doesn't look horrible in the current raid tier, is the presence of a number of fights where the ability to use CL is so useful that it props elemental up for those fights. Combine that with a legendary meta gem that was so amped up for elemental that they can stack mastery out the wazoo and count on the meta for their haste needs, and you have a spec that looks strong in certain encounters, but it being propped up by a meta gem and an aoe spell.

Chain lightning is a different argument than the one I'd make, however it would probably be too strong IF elemental were fixed in the areas it lacks in (that most other casters don't lack in).

How to fix it:

Lava Burst scales with crit (I know, you've heard it alot, but it would help with designing shaman gear alot, and it would allow shamans to not need ridiculous haste meta gems because they wouldn't have to stack AS much haste). To account for the normal crit an elemental shaman runs with, reduce base lava burst damage 10%. This should result in minimal net increase in damage for lava burst in the gear a shaman uses now. If the shaman wants bigger bursts, they'd have to give up haste or mastery.

Flame Shock - Unlinked from earth and frost shock, no CD, acts like a normal dot. Damage increased by 300%. This would allow flame shock to function as an actual dot like every other caster class has

Lava Flows - Only procs off your most recent 1-2 flame shocks, proc rate approx equal to Frostfire bolt procs for frost mages using Nether Tempest. This would allow shamans to multidot without becoming Lava Burst chain gunners

Searing totem - Damage increased by 300%, scales with haste/crit/mastery. This button needs a better reason to keep up. Seeing double searing fireballs would be amusing and make the button important to keep up.

This combination would help shamans.....

Single Target: Slight lava burst bump, more damage from flame shock and searing totem would not overly increase shaman burst in pvp (which is good), but would improve a shaman's ability to dps without gimmicks.

Multitarget dps: Being able to multidot effectively while keeping up a single target rotation would help greatly. They'd still only have one dot, but if it hits decently, the single target rotation would work with its longer dots it could keep up.

PvP viability: They'd still be tunneled alot, but the ability to multidot, the ability to frost shock root, and the greater the threat of their instant fire spells would help them kite while using lightning bolt to bait interrupts.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'd happily eat a chain lightning nerf for lava burst crit scaling. Hell make EQ like Rain of Fire and have it instant, just lower the damage (I guess? It doesn't hit hard now anyways) with less CL damage and things would be fine.

Having baseline movement speed like we did in Cata would be nice as well as Ghost Wolf while silenced so we can do *SOMETHING* while being blanketed.

I'd also argue for ghost wolf glyph baseline so I can choose something more flavor based rather than mandatory but that's just a dream.

I really hope if nothing else Ele can get Spirit Walk. I HATE having to pull stuff from Enh, but unique ideas are being ignored and Ele is still in need of a few tools to make them competitive with other casters besides being hardmode for people who try and play with you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Does EQ still hit like a wet fart?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Does EQ still hit like a wet fart?

What an insult to farts everywhere.

It's ok, but the design of being a cast time placed AoE that doesn't move makes it so you'll never get the full duration off, which is what it needs to be a dps gain to use.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
My advice I can give to you is switch to another caster if you like the playstyle.

Warlocks are strong and have been stronger than ele shamans in any situation I can remember. They are not recieving nerfs in 5.3 from what I can tell.

Also they top charts while casting on the move. All 3 specs are unique and different (and FUN).

You can't go wrong with a lock! Try destro!

Can't be a panda so warlocks are out!

Anyways OT one last thing would be for ele to get 40 yard range on hex and wind shear to match everything else in its toolkit. It is a small PvP and PvE buff. Nothing worse than sitting out 32 yards and realizing you should interrupt. It's a small thing that should be paid attention to, but other ranged DPS (bar spriests) have a 40 yard interrupt. No reason not to bring the two into line.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
It'd be better if they just gave all Shamans a universal buff.

I don't know, like totems with little legs so they can follow you around everywhere, and little arms so they can high-five you when you do cool stuff.
Reply Quote
Just give me an oh sh*t button!

All I want is a way to make people stop attacking me. Thunderstorm is only useful on Y axis maps, Hex has a long CD, and the target can still move their character. Need a major glyph to make Ghost Wolf useful. All Elemental has is damage reduction.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Just give me an oh sh*t button!

All I want is a way to make people stop attacking me. Thunderstorm is only useful on Y axis maps, Hex has a long CD, and the target can still move their character. Need a major glyph to make Ghost Wolf useful. All Elemental has is damage reduction.

5.4 Elemental gains the new ability "Shaman Demateralize" (add a fancy name same effect as MW)
5.4.1 "Shaman Demateralize, Shamanistic Rage, and Rockbiter Weapon have been removed"
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
All I want is ele to be good "enough" that people don't tell me I should have rolled a different caster.

I'm trying my druid out as balance too, and getting the same reactions "why didn't you make a spriest/warlock/mage"?

I don't WANT to make a clothie.... I want to use nature magic (best thing in common I could come up with when my favorite classes are druid,monk,shaman)

Ele shammies don't need to be mage gods, but a few little tweaks could make people at least say "oh you're ele? we can work with that, come pvp with us"
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Ele is fine... our role isnt multi dotting so stop trying to make it happen, i do agree with the searing totems buffs but less damage, but haste/mastery scaling is fine.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Ele needs some help with single target for sure. I feel like unless I am in a gimmick aoe fight, then my dps is lack luster :/

I would happily sacrifice some aoe damage for a buff to my single target.

I like the suggestions the OP made.

Lets see if Blizz pays any attention.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Ele is fine... our role isnt multi dotting so stop trying to make it happen, i do agree with the searing totems buffs but less damage, but haste/mastery scaling is fine.

Oh yeah, we're fine:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-p7ebaeh3f5xevjkr/sum/damageDone/?s=6096&e=6655
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-p7ebaeh3f5xevjkr/sum/damageDone/?s=7202&e=7745
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6pxjw8k0bw5bf6op/sum/damageDone/?s=10046&e=10434

Note that these are single target fights, and Primordius puts your "haste/mastery scaling is fine" to the test.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Ele is only fine if you like being the lowest dps caster and worst choice for a dps caster for pvp.

I fail to see how my suggestions would make ele overpowered, or change the current playstyle of ele much at all, except as an improvement to performance in places ele currently lacks.

Lava burst scaling would be a minor assist in gearing for pve, but would be very helpful for pvp where ele shamans already often go crit/mastery gear or crit/haste to try to get their spells to actually hurt someone.

Flame shock and lava flows change would allow for a less frustrating multidotting (because you can, sorta, do this now, but you have to wait 5s between dots) and flame shock itself isn't the reason you're putting up more of them, but rather lava flows. Flame shock should be a good spell ITSELF, not just one you use to get procs. It would also make shaman talents alot less frustrating.

Searing totem change would A) give it a bit more than a "use this if you have nothing else left to hit" modifier for pve and B) make it a nice spell for pvp, where shaman spend quite a bit of time CCed, either they go after the shaman and let the totem spit in their face, or they go after the totem and give the shaman a second of breathing room.

These, comparatively, are rather small changes, but I think with these alone ele would become a pretty nice spell casting class. Maybe not Aff/Fire awesome, but I'd settle for boomkin/spriest awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
There's some indication that elemental performs fine at high gear levels in heroic modes. The legendary gem and T15 set bonuses are particularly helpful. Unfortunately we don't have enough data in WoL to make that determination, but GC himself said Elemental was fine, and we know that it is extremely weak in normal modes.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the devs only looked at Elemental performance in heroics.
Edited by Slant on 5/10/2013 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Its possible Slant, however as I mentioned (and has been pointed out many times in many ele posts) the massive proc chance of the legendary meta gem for ele is sorta propping up elemental for heroics.

Being able to count on a 30% haste buff for much of the fight allowing you to gear all out mastery is a bandaid to the problem the spec actually faces.

But..... I know you know that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Err, yes. That's what I said in my post too.

I focused on why the devs probably think elemental doesn't need buffs-- because the elemental premade they use for testing is fully kitted out in gear including the T15 set and the legendary gem.
Edited by Slant on 5/10/2013 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Casting lightning bolt on the move is going to elevate you above mages easily given the movement requirements on boss encounters.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Casting lightning bolt on the move is going to elevate you above mages easily given the movement requirements on boss encounters.

I know right! Cause all those tiers of not being able to cast lightning bolt on the move was what kept us below mages.

Thank GOODNESS elemental shaman will FINALLY be able to cast Lightning Bolt on the move.... its been way too long waiting for it.

- Gumble 2011
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Err, yes. That's what I said in my post too.

I focused on why the devs probably think elemental doesn't need buffs-- because the elemental premade they use for testing is fully kitted out in gear including the T15 set and the legendary gem.

Sorry didn't read it that way I guess. But yea, you're probably right.

Too bad ele shammies who aren't using full gear top of the line gear sets or are pvping don't really jive with those tests :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]