Ores vs Bars... Which one sells better?

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Right now my mining is 490/600 and haven't made a single bar while lvling up. However, ive noticed that the ore im selling on the AH as I lvl mining, isn't selling anymore. For example, I have around 100 obsidium ore just sitting in my mailbox b/c they nvr seem to sell. I am under cutting other sellers by 3-5 gold (the ore sells anywhere beween 75-125g per stack on thrall) but no1 is just buying them. I was wondering if turning them into bars will help them sell.
Reply Quote
Obsidium ore never sold well for ore or bars, even in Cata. The only people buying them are people that are leveling bs, engineering, and JC. Prospecting doesn't get real good results and the skill level range for obsidium goes really fast with engineering and blacksmithing. Leveling JC's get far better results by prospecting elementium instead.

Personally, save it for when you plan to level one of those 3 professions.
Edited by Feralmel on 5/3/2013 3:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Ore will usually sell better. It can still be turned into bars and it usually has a higher value as prospect material.

Obsidium could simply be too common on your server. You'll see Cobalt and Saronite Ores with higher prices as they can be prospected into gems for level 70 and 80 twinks. Obsidium and Elementium are really only good for the 80-85 leveling process.
Edited by Phopaw on 5/3/2013 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Generally speaking, ore sells more quickly but bars sell for more gold

In the case of Obsidium it's really only used for those who are leveling professions, and to a more limited extent, people who are shuffling.

Personally I'd keep it as ore.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Alchemists without mining buy ghost iron bars for liviing steel transmutes. Jewelcrafters buy ore. other professions don't care either way. bars are usually slightly more profit. but as was stated, once in a while a jewelcrafter wants to prospect a ton of ore to make some rings or necks for disenchants and get jewels to sell. my jewelcrafter may buy 20 stacks at once. my alchemist may buy 10 bar stacks at once. over all, my jewelcrafter buys more = ore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Check if bars are selling. Prices and what to smelt is 100 percent dependent on server. In general though, ore sells faster.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I read this thread title as "Oreos vs Bars...".
Reply Quote
43 Worgen Mage
05/03/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Lousipher
Alchemists without mining buy ghost iron bars for liviing steel transmutes. Jewelcrafters buy ore. other professions don't care either way.

The only people who don't care (whether they buy ore or bars) are people who need bars and who ALSO HAVE THEIR OWN MINER to convert ore into bars.

Other than that, people would only buy what they can use:

Ore: Jewelcrafters

Bars: Alchemists, Blacksmiths, Engineers
Edited by Foxwizard on 5/4/2013 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I assume that most blacksmiths and engineers have mining on at least one toon. if they didn't then bars would sell much much faster. i don't see it on my two servers; ore sells faster. most alchemists don't have mining.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Lousipher:
I assume that most blacksmiths and engineers have mining on at least one toon. if they didn't then bars would sell much much faster. i don't see it on my two servers; ore sells faster. most alchemists don't have mining.

I'm not sure that's the reason. Ore sells quickly because jewelcrafters need a lot of it. The money in jewelcrafting is mostly from shuffling, and even if most jewelcrafters don't do that, even the few who do can end up buying a lot of ore. Nobody really does engineering or blacksmithing in that kind of volume.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My BS buys a fair bit of obsidium for the 80-level crafted tanking gear. It sells reasonably well. If you have a BS or a guildie who has one, convert some of the ore into bars into folded obsidium. Check prices first. Your mileage may vary.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
My BS buys a fair bit of obsidium for the 80-level crafted tanking gear. It sells reasonably well. If you have a BS or a guildie who has one, convert some of the ore into bars into folded obsidium. Check prices first. Your mileage may vary.

When I was shuffling ore for Jewelcrafting in Cataclysm, I was buying 1000 stacks of ore per day. Minimum. Before a patch, I'd want to have 500-1000 of each gem.
Reply Quote
05/05/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Phopaw

When I was shuffling ore for Jewelcrafting in Cataclysm, I was buying 1000 stacks of ore per day. Minimum. Before a patch, I'd want to have 500-1000 of each gem.

Even though Obsidium had a lower proc rate than elementium for blue quality gems, I almost always prospected obsidium back in Cata. Transmutes came from cheap herbs back then and the green quality gems had more flexibility.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
ores because 1. they can be used to level up mining by smithing 2. JC can use them for prospecting ores
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]