are warlocks inherently evil

90 Draenei Shaman
And if they are not does the use of demonic power lead people to go crazy like illidan wnd kaelthas
Reply Quote
illidan went insane because he lost to arthas

i dont think kael was insane, just power-hungry

he craved what illidan wouldnt give him, so he turned to kil'jaeden and got it from him instead

anyways

depends on the individual warlock

all warlocks are power-hungry to some degree

some do it for the sake of dominance alone

others use it for a 'fight demonic fire with demonic fire' mantra

any warlock who succumbs fully to corruption is looked down upon as disgrace and a failure

discipline is a key trait that must be practised by all faction-aligned warlocks lest they find their head on the chopping block for going too far and succumbing
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Most aren't evil they're just selfish, amoral jerks.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I don't think they are inherently evil no, although there is plenty of evil among their ranks.

I imagine many see it as a sacrifice for the greater good or as a method to master what seeks to destroy us all.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 5/3/2013 6:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I would say yes, if you deal with demons or use their power in any way shape or form no matter your intention, you are evil. To use Warlock powers you have to do deprave things.
Edited by Crappytank on 5/3/2013 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Nope. Not one bit... ever... for realz.

Now.. if you'd excuse me.. I have things that are not evil to do.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
no that's just silly fel/demon/chaos magic is just another thing that can be used. like authority over people and many other things it can can corrupt. but its not the magic or authority itself that's the cause its the persons self control
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
illidan went insane because he lost to arthas

Arthas stabbed him in the chest with Frostmourne, the thing that sucks out your soul if it stabs you in the chest.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
"Evil" is often subjective. The enemy soldiers are barbarians while your allies are heroes. That said, the burning legion isn't an organization that lends itself to shades of gray.

The warlocks that are part of demonic cults (they usually show up for "kill X cultists" quests) are evil. The power that warlocks wield is not inherently evil though. Fel magic is a tool, and like any tool, it's as evil as the one who wields it.

The arcane magic that mages use is actually a highly regulated version of the magic warlocks use (unless that got retconned when i wasn't looking). The Kirin Tor outlaws magic that has a high chance for abuse (e.g. necromancy).

The playable warlocks are typically not evil. You'd probably find the highest concentration of faction aligned evil warlocks among the Forsaken.

Whether using fel magic inherently corrupts the wielder is debatable. It could be that since the practice is outlawed by the Kirin Tor, only the morally challenged pursue the craft in the first place(i.e. if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns). Some uses of fel magic could be considered inherently evil (e.g. binding souls), but the basics of the magic don't imply a morality; for example: if a mage blows up an orphanage with a fireball, the fireball itself isn't evil, nor did that fireball whisper into the mage's ear that those orphans totally had it coming.

Sorry if that rambled a bit; it's past midnight here, and I need to get some sleep.

TL;DR: fel magic is no more inherently evil than necromancy. It's easy to abuse to evil ends though. Just remember, that's not grandpa's corpse plowing the fields for us; it's a conveniently humanoid shaped hunk of inanimate tissue that doesn't need food, water or sleep.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
The only notion of "evil" that have any consistent meaning is the idea of hurting someone that doesn't want to be hurt or, at least, without any "real need" to do so.

As for Warlocks, you can be one and certainly not fall on that sense. Just dabbling in these kinds of dark magic doesn't mean anyone is somehow being harmed. And if they are, many other people, non-Warlocks, who wouldn't be considered "evil", would harm others in the same way.

On the other side we have light users that aren't "good" either. Scarlet Crusade is totally based around the belief of in the light, still they turned to be the worst kind of person.

Warlocks might not be altruistic, but non-Warlocks aren't automatically good merely because they aren't Warlocks.

Also, you can be considered a Warlock without the need to dabble too deeply into dark magic. Summoning demons aren't really evil. At all. It's just making use of them for whatever ends that might be evil or not. It might not even be considered evil for the demons themselves, because some of them make pacts willingly.

Aside from that, "evil" and "good" are concepts quite oversimplified. Things are more complicated than that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
They're not evil and amoral because they're warlocks.

They're warlocks because they're evil and amoral.

Illidan and Kael'thas already had everything they needed to become crazy, and did. Once there, they had no problems experimenting with magic.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yes we are ;)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Inevitably so.

Initially a warlock may be a wide eyed, plucky youth absolutely convinced that demonic magic is simply misunderstood. That despite EVERY SINGLE MAJOR USER OF IT EVER ends up stark ravingly evil, they're convinced that they, THEY will be able to wield the darkest power in existence without succumbing to its corrupting nature.

Inevitably, however, the natural order of magic takes its course and bit by bit the user will ultimately slide into depravity. Fel magic just isn't another form of arcane, it's manifest EVIL, and not even SARGERAS was able to deal with it indefinitely without turning to the darkside.

In the end, it's only a question of time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
They might start with good intentions...no, who am I kidding, they start with intentions of gaining power and inevitably go evil as that power corrupts them.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I can see some being of what we would have called neutral alignments back in the D&D days. Good, not so much.

Edit: And Illidan is a case in point. I don't think he's evil.
Edited by Carmageddon on 5/4/2013 12:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
No, however using the fel energies of the Twisting Nether causes unavoidable corruption.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
As has been stated warlocks in general become such in order to gain power, they are not evil by nature but are forced to walk a fine line that leads many of them to simply cross over for the trade offs.

Warlocks are really no different than mages, druids, shamans, or priests in that they call on power from a different plane in order to empower themselves... it just happens that warlocks call upon demons and fel energies which can have corrupting properties.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
Hey! I murder innocents for hearts and souls for good! It's not my fault that summoning demons requires sacrifices.

I would say yes, if you deal with demons or use their power in any way shape or form no matter your intention, you are evil. To use Warlock powers you have to do deprave things.

Nhh, I wouldn't say it makes them evil. It depends on how they get the power to begin with, for example Demon Hunters use fel magic yet they aren't usually considered evil (with exceptions such as Illidan).
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
Well, what makes an individual 'evil'? Evil really is a pretty loaded description.

Ruthless, cruel, sadistic? Warlocks often have traits such as these, but they do not always. As for 'stealing souls', I've always taken from the fact they are 'soul shards' that they only drain some of the power of the soul, which may very well generate on its own anyways, impossible to say, really.

All warlocks (there pretty much are no exceptions to this rule) become warlocks because they are seeking greater power, but what they seek that power for, and how much discipline they have controlling themselves leads to how 'evil' they are. Most lean on the darker side, but they do not necessarily have to.

However, it's inevitable that they will be seeking demonic power and dealing with some of the most brutal and painful magic currently known. And it WILL corrupt them, directly, however it does not mean they will lose themselves to said corruption.

I can't really see someone getting through these kinds of experiences, and warding off corruption through sheer will, and not be a little unstable, crazy, or at least cynical if they are not reveling in their power through ruthlessness, sadism, etc.

Lastly, keep in mind that warlocks by nature are mistrusted, feared, and even hated by others. This, too, can not be avoided. A warlock will never be loved or respected (for anything other than their sheer power) by the average people of their faction. Unless they did not know you were a warlock, perhaps.

If your character became a warlock 'for the greater good' somehow, they would be doing it despite this, and would have accepted that they would be hated for their choice, making it an unlikely choice for that purpose, unless there were special circumstances behind that choice.
Edited by Taejing on 5/4/2013 7:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
NO!

Stop asking, internet!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]