are warlocks inherently evil

90 Orc Warlock
No, but Warlocks have the highest potential to become evil (aside from DK's)

I tend to conceptualize Warlocks a bit like Shaman, especially after reading how the Orc Shamans were tricked. Both ask an outside power for the ability to go beyond their own limits. The powers shamans are asking tend to be more neutral and less corrupting. Warlocks are asking things that are outright evil and tend to have ulterior motives.

You can use the power for good, but every use of power, every demon summoned, is another temptation to misuse it badly.

if a mage blows up an orphanage with a fireball, the fireball itself isn't evil, nor did that fireball whisper into the mage's ear that those orphans totally had it coming.

Except in this case, the Warlock's Incinerate may well congratulate them on their aim. If you do the Green Fire quest, at one point your imp summons himself and suggests you ditch Akama, who's trying to contain the Demons you accidentally unleashed on his people, to rob the Black Temple of whatever relics are still laying around.

And you do it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
We should keep our warlocks in the slums. Out of site from decent society.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
Consorting with demons and using fel energy means you are evil. No if ands or buts about it. Warlock are not force to walk that fine line, no one is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to consort with demons.

Demons are evil, consorting with one makes you evil. Demon hunters by their,very name means they are anti demon, if they were warlocks then they would be label as such.

Evil is evil you can try to make a case on why it's not but at the end of the day warlocks are evil, just like necromancers. Mages can be evil but fhe majority are good, paladins can be evil but the majority are good. Why? Those classes start off inherently good.

Warlocks starts off inherently evil.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
05/04/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Crappytank
Demons are evil, consorting with one makes you evil. Demon hunters by their,very name means they are anti demon, if they were warlocks then they would be label as such.

They use the exact same kind of magic and techniques.

The only difference is demon hunters are way more extreme about it and use demonically-charged warglaives.

Please learn the lore. Please.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
05/04/2013 10:05 AMPosted by Draile

They use the exact same kind of magic and techniques.

The only difference is demon hunters are way more extreme about it and use demonically-charged warglaives.

Find, if they consort with demons like warlocks then they are evil too. There happy?Anyone consorting with demons or fel energy = evil.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Cool, all Death Knights are evil then because ultimately they are a creation of Demons.

No, things aren't that black and white. Learn the lore, actually take something away from all the question threads you make around here.
Reply Quote
92 Worgen Druid
I do think the vast majority of Warlocks are neutral aligned, they are selfish or at least do things they believe is necessary .

Even evil warlocks can be broken down to Lawful, neutral, and chaotic evil (like the twilight cult ones that just want destruction and death.) The various degrees of alignment count on how they think and interact with others. lawful evil warlocks for instance may not want to do evil things for no reason but have no problems with torture or murder if it serves them or if you cross them.

There may even be a few good warlocks which fall into the anti-villain and chaotic good territory like Illidan who do morally questionable things for the greater good.

Warlocks are just one more group that are using the assistance of an outside power, why they use their powers tend to be the deciding factor of alignment (which goes for pretty much every class.)
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
Cool, all Death Knights are evil then because ultimately they are a creation of Demons.

No, things aren't that black and white. Learn the lore, actually take something away from all the question threads you make around here.

But death knights and undead are evil. I know the lore, not every facet but enough to pass judgement and necromancy and fel magics have zero good associates with them. Now do I think the players who played warlocks are bad? No . However class wise and in game, they are evil. Sageras is evil.

It's like from a !@#$%^-*! point of view he's good , he or she just have attraction towards younger children. Yeah..Anyone and everyone can be good if you put a certian light or spin it how you like it.

Hard lines have to be drawn somewhere and universal common sense have to apply. Invading a planet, killing or corrupting all of its inhabitant to me is pretty evil. Who do these things? Demon, have their ever been a good demon in lore? No. Are alll demon geared toward destruction? Yes. Does that make people who actively seek demons out and love to use thier powers good people? No.

You can quibble on the details but inherently by seeking and consorting with those power, that makes them evil. If they want to cast lean magic that can go either way, Arcane would be the way to go, heck, arcane even summmons pets for them if thst is what they want and as was universally agreed on in a thread a few days back, Arcane magic are more powerful then fel, hence why fel wants it.

There is no reason for warlocks not to pursue arcane studies if they were good people.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I did just lay it out didn't I? Consorting with demons a known evil.... can't get much more specific then that...
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warlock
I'd say, as far as DND alignments go, that Warlocks fall along the lines of being either Chaotic or Neutral, and oftentimes evil. I will concede that a Warlock possibly is more susceptible towards evil more than any other class, but that does not inherently mean that all Warlocks are evil.

That said, there have been examples of fel users who have done good things. I won't lay out a massive list of them since I get the feeling it won't convince certain posters here but it should at least be understood that Warlocks can be an 'anti-heroic' class, much like Death Knights and Shadow Priests are in this setting.

Some of us just don't like to play the standard, squeaky clean, kosher hero that attracts other players. I would kindly ask that you don't place the class I play in some sort of objective bubble just because you have little understanding about it.

I did just lay it out didn't I? Consorting with demons a known evil.... can't get much more specific then that...

Except they don't consort with demons. They enslave and dominate them. I think the closest thing they do that could be interpreted as 'consorting' is signing contracts with demons in their service, but that is not substantial enough.

As has been mentioned before:

Edited by Grimtell on 5/4/2013 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
You know what, oped asked a question, I gave my take on it. If people don't see demons as inherently evil then I can't pursade them nor will they pursade me that demons could be used for good.
Edited by Crappytank on 5/4/2013 11:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Worgen Druid
Oh yes enslaving demons, why that just make them all good now doesn't it? Lore is one thing, using them or their magics in anyway makes the users evil. There is no need to delve into demonic magicks when Arcanes proven to be the superior of all magical branches. Holy prove effective against demons. Why go that's rout?

Let's go one more, when in the pivotal moment of Azeroth have demonic fel magics prove cto be the key to saving the world? When have fhe world of Azeroth ever been saved by fel magics.Warlocks leading the charge and saving all of creation, that without warlocks Azeroth would have fallen.

Show me an example and I'll retract my statements about warlocks beinv inherently evil.

So police officers that make deals with criminals in order to catch murderers, rapists, and whole gangs of crooks are also evil just because they use a resource that can be considered amoral?

The world is not black and white ONLY, yes there are inherently evil and good beings however mortal beings are forced to use what they have, even shamans use the elements which have been shown to be selfish fickle and unconcerned with the lives or right of others even to the point of being downright destructive and vicious.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warlock
Oh yes enslaving demons, why that just make them all good now doesn't it?

I didn't say it made them good, although it's probably not the worst thing a demon could go through given that it's been heavily implied that the lowest of low demons are treated extremely harshly in Burning Legion society. (And those happens to be the demons that Warlocks summon into their service.)

There is no need to delve into demonic magicks when Arcanes proven to be the superior of all magical branches.

Please source where Arcane has proven to be the most superior? As far as I'm aware, Fel magic has still shown to be the most devastating magic when used to its potential. Places like Outlands are proof of that.

Why go that's rout?

Because no matter what advantages a Mage, Druid, or Paladin has against demons, they'll still never truly understand the inner workings and subtleties of fel magic like a group who's studied it for centuries have.

Let me ask you, how far do you think the Argent Crusade would have gotten had they not had the support the Ebon Blade in understanding the full might of the Scourge? Because no matter how effective their magic was against the undead, they still relied on the Ebon Blade to understand other important facets of the Scourge, such as their military tactics and inner workings.

The same is true for Fel users, and an important example of that was how a Demon Hunter (Feronas Sindweller, look him up) effectively knew more about the trickery of the satyrs in Felwood than the nearby Druid school ever did. They were getting sabotaged right under their noses and didn't realize it while trying to heal the land. Where do you think they would have gone had that one Demon Hunter not help them find out about the Satyr? And just to let you in on a little secret... he found out about the satyr through the use of fel magic.

Let's go one more, when in the pivotal moment of Azeroth have demonic fel magics prove cto be the key to saving the world? When have fhe world of Azeroth ever been saved by fel magics.Warlocks leading the charge and saving all of creation, that without warlocks Azeroth would have fallen.

There have not been any examples of fel magic saving the world, just yet, but there have been fel users that have assisted other groups in destroying threats to Azeroth. If you read most of the excerpts from the Council of the Black Harvest, it is confirmed as canon that they gained their powers from their experience in fighting most of the big bads of previous expansions. (Illidan, Ragnaros, Cho'gall, Deathwing, etc.)

That said, I really don't think this is necessary to prove a Warlock can be potentially good. A person doesn't have to save the world, but they can commit a good deed every now and then, and Warlocks are certainly not restricted from doing such when they do their roundabout day to day questing.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Think of it this way, it is all about priorities.

Fel Magic is arguably the most addictive magic. As such, it changes the person's priority. The magic becomes a higher priority then 'good'. So, in the pursuit of the magic a Warlock will do evil things if it is the only method. The person may be good otherwise, but the magic just has a higher priority then the good.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
What makes a person evil?

Doing an evil thing for an evil reason/goal? Of course.
Doing an evil thing for no reason/goal? Perhaps, but that could be insanity.
Doing an evil thing for a good reason/goal? Hard to say.

Having done evil things in the past, but not anymore?
Having not done evil things at all, but being willing to do so?

Prior quests for warlocks have had them doing fairly evil things (the old succubus quest comes to mind). Undeniably, being a warlock and willing to resort to using demonic power suggests that warlocks are willing to do evil things, so if that's all that it takes to be evil, then they're undeniably evil.

Of course, being evil doesn't mean that you can't be nice. A person is capable of being kind, generous, honest, friendly, and everything that would traditionally label you as being good... and yet still willing to murder a baby for power.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warlock
05/04/2013 12:50 PMPosted by Yablik
Prior quests for warlocks have had them doing fairly evil things (the old succubus quest comes to mind).

Mm, you're almost there.

The only thing evil about the Warlock questlines were the things you had to do as a Forsaken player to be able to summon a succubus.

Most of the other questlines, especially the succubi quests that other races that were not Forsaken were given, were no more evil than the questlines that other classes had to do.

Of course, being evil doesn't mean that you can't be nice. A person is capable of being kind, generous, honest, friendly, and everything that would traditionally label you as being good... and yet still willing to murder a baby for power.

Technically that's called being Affable Evil.

Probably something a Warlock player could RP as, but not something they have to RP as just because they're a Warlock.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
In the real world, the United States has nuclear missles that can destroy and entire city with a single blast, which is an unquestionably evil act. Does that mean the United States is evil?

No, it just means it is far from perfect, as is every society and every individual. Acts are evil. People and nations that commit the acts are not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]