Instance lock out

90 Pandaren Hunter
Entering 5 instances within an hour is an outdated mechanism from a bygone age. I want to happily farm things from dungeons at my own pace, for as long as I want to. Certain transmog boots from normal Black rock depths already have a 1/24 chance of dropping, so the grind for them is already going to be painful. Not letting me play and farm those as much as I want by having a dungeon per hour cut off is more than just irritating.

Savage Gladiator Greaves. I will have them some day, just after many instance lock out wait times.

I can't find the suggestion forums or I'd be posting in there, but I suppose here is as good as there.
Edited by Trickze on 5/4/2013 7:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
It's a mechanism to prevent potentially exploitable mechanics from being exploited an endless number of times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Such as:
Farming too much? -lololol.
Power leveling? -Not anymore.
Getting geared for Heroic ToT? -Bizarre example that does not make sense
Edited by Trickze on 5/4/2013 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
This thread is

"I don't understand how others exploit mechanics so you should make the game more vulnerable because it would be a convenience to me"
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Still no word on what mechanics are being exploited.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

I'd actually like to know this as well. Genuinely curious, what exploits stem from running an instance more than 5 times an hour?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
This thread is

"I don't understand how others exploit mechanics so you should make the game more vulnerable because it would be a convenience to me"

I've done some research after reading your post that is clearly meant to insult me. Thank you for your efforts, but I imagine you have things you could be doing other than posting such a poor response with no references or examples to your claim.

- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6933235400

Still no references, just an answer to pacify the masses and distract us from the fact there is an issue that needs addressing.

-http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=159372/the-instance-limit-and-why-it-isnt-necessary

"They added that after gold farmers started using instance resets to quickly farm a nearly limitless supply of money from places like maraudon in vanilla WoW.

Just before the change you could "/who maraudon" and see a full screen of hunters at any given time on most servers."

- MischeviousLoki

Finally an answer. The problem is that if this is the actual reason, then it's a terrible reason. This is a band aid to botting in general. Besides, if they're in private instances it means they're leaving flowers and ore alone. If someone wanted to run dungeons all day long for money they should. If the dungeon is giving too much money then that needs to be adressed, not the lockout associated with the dungeon.

I have illustrated that instance lockouts are an outdated mechanic from a bygone age. Sometimes I wonder why I post when I know how many ignorant people who like to argue for the sake of argument will come knocking at my door.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm pretty sure it's to stop botters. Not that it actually *stops* botters (Botanica and Halls of Lightning seem to be popular locales for bots), but there you go.
Edited by Seyl on 5/4/2013 5:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

You can't post details of that without getting a forum ban. You should know that. We're not here to teach you how to exploit the game.

I don't think it's unreasonable to limit players to 1 run every 12 minutes. Since it's not an unreasonable limit and the vast majority of players aren't hindered by the limit at all, how does Blizzard justify spending money to make obsolete content faster for a handful of players that vastly outgear it?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It's also to prevent the

'instance server is full' door boss.

If anyone recalls what wrath was like around ulduar anyone?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I ran into this with Steamvault when I was trying to finish out my Cenarion Expedition rep. I was clearing a small sum of gold every run. I could go from reset to exit in 11 minutes. I would literally have to wait FIVE minutes before I could start my run again. It was horrible! And I had an extra 1500 gold after I hit Exalted. And spent it on Crafted Dreadful i stead of Cenarion Hippogriff lol!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/04/2013 05:52 PMPosted by Waraila
'instance server is full' door boss.

This is a primary issue. If too many people are resetting instances too often, the server gets clogged up and nobody gets in, which, while inconvenient for end-gamers, is crippling to leveling players.

That on top of the botting, hacking and other problems that have traditionally been associated with omni-resets, it's best that the limit be what it is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
http://i.imgur.com/J02dkZy.jpg

who here remembers flinging their bodies into the instance portals over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over. and over. and

over.

while I realize it can be annoying for the individual, the limit is a good thing for everyone else.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
You can't post details of that without getting a forum ban. You should know that. We're not here to teach you how to exploit the game.

I don't think it's unreasonable to limit players to 1 run every 12 minutes. Since it's not an unreasonable limit and the vast majority of players aren't hindered by the limit at all, how does Blizzard justify spending money to make obsolete content faster for a handful of players that vastly outgear it?

If there were any exploits, they would be cancelled by this mechanic now wouldn't they? You have the false assumption I'm trying to get one over on the game by looking for people to slip me information over the forums. Any possible exploits would be past tense, and available for discussion since they do not exist anymore (Hence why the lockout mechanic was implemented). I do not appreciate you thinking I am a moron btw ;)

I think it's unreasonable to kill the boss I need and be back out in 3 minutes and not be able to continue doing so. What is happening to me is I have to fly down to BRD every 45 mins when the cooldown has fallen off, or sit here. It....is....not...a....reasonable mechanic.

If people were to bot dungeons, they would be out of the main world. This was a poor idea to combat bots. Thanks for your post though! I enjoy having a good laugh every now and then.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If there were any exploits, they would be cancelled by this mechanic now wouldn't they? You have the false assumption I'm trying to get one over on the game by looking for people to slip me information over the forums. Any possible exploits would be past tense, and available for discussion since they do not exist anymore (Hence why the lockout mechanic was implemented). I do not appreciate you thinking I am a moron btw ;)

Please don't put words in my mouth. ; )

05/04/2013 06:02 PMPosted by Trickze
I think it's unreasonable to kill the boss I need and be back out in 3 minutes and not be able to continue doing so.

Again I'll ask:
how does Blizzard justify spending money to make obsolete content faster for a handful of players that vastly outgear it?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
This is a primary issue. If too many people are resetting instances too often, the server gets clogged up and nobody gets in, which, while inconvenient for end-gamers, is crippling to leveling players.

That on top of the botting, hacking and other problems that have traditionally been associated with omni-resets, it's best that the limit be what it is.

This is one of the few posts I actually appreciate and respect. Still, there has to be a better solution than instance locks, don't you think? <3
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
We're not here to teach you how to exploit the game.

Not putting words in your mouth, just using your own back on you because you hurt my feelings ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Again I'll ask:
how does Blizzard justify spending money to make obsolete content faster for a handful of players that vastly outgear it?

Quality of life improvements. Just because it's not mainstream does not mean it can't be an issue. I see it as an issue, apparently you don't, and that's okay (No sarcasm).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/04/2013 05:24 PMPosted by Norael

I'd actually like to know this as well. Genuinely curious, what exploits stem from running an instance more than 5 times an hour?

A couple reasons, first to prevent people from doing exactly what the OP is describing namely entering an instance killing or grabbing something right by the entrance and resetting to do it again, second it's to prevent performance issues with the instance servers.

Basically the intent is that you finish an instance before you do it again, and the 5 instances per hour kind of enforces that.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Mage
The issue may be obsolete so theoretically they could change the way it works but I sure hope they don't waste any time doing so.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]