Should I get Inscirption for an alt?

91 Blood Elf Warlock
Hey is inscription worth investing time to level up on an alt character at this point in MoP or should I just go alchemy?

My questions:
- Are DMF Cards worth the time investment now?
- Is the 476 caster staff even worth making since you can get so much higher ilvl gear(especially with 5.3 soon) pretty easily
- Do glyphs consistently sell(seems like once most people have em the market would die)?
- Are there any new inscription patterns coming out this xpack or nothing else til next xpack?

Thanks for the advice!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
I have a scribe alt. It's nice for the shoulder enchants. I don't make DMF cards because the cost of materials is out of hand.

Access to shoulder enchants w/o dropping 800-1000g is nice.

She's only 80, so I have no access to spirits/motes of harmony with her. So no access to the cool staves, etc.

I don't mind having one since I already had it back in Wrath. But I don't think I'd start one these days.
Reply Quote
i have 10 scribes and make about 50 decks each fair and still sellout everytime.

i havent done glyphs in a month or so but i was selling about 3-5k worth a day and that was on a low pop server.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Grindelwald:
- Are DMF Cards worth the time investment now?

There's a debate about that. I gave up Darkmoon cards because they weren't worth it for me. With multiple scribes, you can make a lot of money off the cards. But with only one, it's hard to absorb the losses from RNG, and you end up having to trade cards with others a lot, which takes time. Cards are still quite profitable, but it seems to me that there are easier ways of making a profit, so I don't bother anymore.

Grindelwald:
- Is the 476 caster staff even worth making since you can get so much higher ilvl gear(especially with 5.3 soon) pretty easily

If you raid, then maybe not. For me, I only really play alone, so the staff is great for me.

Grindelwald:
- Do glyphs consistently sell(seems like once most people have em the market would die)?

You'd think the market would dry up, but people are always leveling alts, so they always want glyphs. Glyphs are my main source of income, and I'm making thousands of gold a day from glyphs on a low-population server.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I leveled inscription to 600 and while you can make money with the darkmoon cards and maybe the shoulder enchants good luck trying to sell all the glyphs you made while leveling up. Seriously, I'm only on a medium pop server and I CONSTANTLY get undercut and it's very frustrating. I don't have all day to play the ah and keep taking down and relisting items. You can make money with inscription but just know that it's a competitive market.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
It's easier if you're not trying to sell the glyphs you made leveling—a lot of other people are trying to unload those. The other glyphs, even the trainer-learned ones, sell for much more.
Reply Quote
- Are DMF Cards worth the time investment now?- Is the 476 caster staff even worth making since you can get so much higher ilvl gear(especially with 5.3 soon) pretty easily- Do glyphs consistently sell(seems like once most people have em the market would die)?- Are there any new inscription patterns coming out this xpack or nothing else til next xpack?

1. Yes, DMF cards are still well worth it. They continue to sell like hotcakes.
2. Glyphs are iffy. Check your server on www.theunderminejournal.com and try to get a feel for the prices and how stiff the competition is before you dive in. People do still buy glyphs but it isnt the huge moneymaker it used to be.
3. We already had a number of new glyphs with the MoP release. Nothing else has been announced to my knowledge but this does not mean new ones will not be implimented.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
1. old dmf cards or the new ox, crane , tiger, etc.. one? old dmf cards are not worth making new dmf cards is eh.. i wouldn't say they are worth the trouble i did well without them and i still don't use them.

2. if you got the mats off the bat it's better then doing heroic/LFR for 476 gear. so i would asy it's useful up to the point you replace it. and depending how often you play and how lucky you are it can be months or days. it took me about 2 months just to get the stupid LFR fan in 5.1/5.2

3. For my server no. All the glyphs i made to level i am selling in the AH and only about 10 glyphs out of idk maybe 50-60 have sold. marked majority of them to 10g and pretty much they have yet to sell. given the fact they are not the best glyphs but i mean still 10g is REALLY cheap. All in all i would say no theirs a lot of crappy glyphs out their. if you do sell some decent glyphs the ones people want you can make some decent money IF you are patient. if selling glyphs check AH which ones people want/need.

4. not sure about any new patterns.

i would say go inscription if you want shoulder enchants. they are BiS shoulder enchants and if you want free glyphs other then that it's up to you. it's REALLY easy to lvl inscription up and i also have alchemy as well both imo are pretty useless unless you pvp. I don't bother selling raid flasks they don't seem to sell very well on the AH and the mats to get them are really easy.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I have two maxed scribes, mostly for the extra CDs with Darkmoon cards. Unfortunately when they nerfed Pandaria herb spawns the supply of cheap herbs dried up -- at least on my server, the days of buying 250 stacks of herbs at a time are gone. The decks still sell, but it's not like it was during most of Cata. Glyphs are a hassle; I don't consider them worth the time, but I know some people do very well with them.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Celbrise:
3. For my server no. All the glyphs i made to level i am selling in the AH and only about 10 glyphs out of idk maybe 50-60 have sold. marked majority of them to 10g and pretty much they have yet to sell. given the fact they are not the best glyphs but i mean still 10g is REALLY cheap. All in all i would say no theirs a lot of crappy glyphs out their. if you do sell some decent glyphs the ones people want you can make some decent money IF you are patient. if selling glyphs check AH which ones people want/need.

The glyphs you make leveling never sell well; the supply is just too high. Also, glyphs made with cheap herbs don't sell for very much, often under 10g in my experience, but that can still be profitable. If briarthorn costs 50s each, then you can make a glyph with midnight ink for 7g50s. I just set up TSM with different auctioning groups for each ink type, then tell it to undercut everyone, but never to go below my cost of production. Then I can keep two of every glyph on the auction house and not worry about which ones are good sellers, but still be sure that every glyph I do sell gets me money.

And I wouldn't say glyphs are really a patience-focused business. That's more for the expensive things, like crafted gear, that promise a high profit but have few buyers. Glyphs are more dependent on obsession than patience, canceling and re-posting auctions all the time.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Staves depend on how many alts you could see using it, since they're BoA. Otherwise they're nice, but you're expected to outlevel them. There was even a quest to spell that out.

The glyph market depends on the luck of the draw. While there's lots of demand, there's also lots of cheap supply. Only expect to see a profit if you have some of the rarer research ones, and understand that this takes a lot of time.

Shoulder chants are nice, but scribes really scale proportionally to how many characters you have of that server/faction. Being able to keep ten other characters well glyphed is nice. For one character, not really worth the effort.
Reply Quote
68 Gnome Warlock
Come to my server? I've had no luck finding a glyph posted under 150g, much less 5 or 10g. I can buy a stack of the herbs for it for 1.5g, so that's not where the price is coming from.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]