5.3 Hunter changes

Just wanted to share my opinion on the new changes coming to hunters in 5.3
This thread will be focusing on PvP only, so I am removing the changes that do not affect it.

General

Aspect of the Hawk now increases ranged attack power by 25%, up from 15%. - All around good change. This is definitely needed, especially with them nerfing the burst aspect of Blink Strike. Gives hunters more sustained damage and little burst for MM.
Revive Pet now has a cast time of 4 seconds, down from 6 seconds. - Definitely need this, too. There are too many mechanics that can stop a 6 sec rez with ease.
Scatter Shot now shares diminishing returns with Freezing Trap and Wyvern Sting. - I agree with this, -and any other nerf to overall class CC (because frankly, there is just too much of it nowadays)-. However, when they nerf a hunters CC before they nerf the disarm/stun combo, that is not right. -NOTE- APPARENTLY THIS IS BEING REVERTED.

Talents

Aspect of the Iron Hawk now increases ranged attack power by 25%, up from 15%. - Same as above.
Binding Shot is no longer a talent and learned by Marksmanship Hunters at level 30. - They are taking BM stun away and putting Binding into MM tree. Taking the stun away is a good choice due to the damage output of BM. But still don't really understand the shift in CC.
Blink Strike has been renamed Blink Strikes and turned into a passive ability. The pet's Basic Attacks deal 50% increased damage, can now be used from 30 yards away, and will instantly cause the pet to teleport behind their target. - Great (Best choice) for all specs. Bad for BM burst, but could possibly be good for BM sustain.
Intimidation is now a level-30 talent available to all Hunter specializations and no longer learned by Beast Mastery Hunters at level 20. - Same as above.

Item Sets

PvP 2-piece set bonus has been redesigned. Using Arcane Shot now causes the Hunter's PvP Power to increase by 800 for 6 seconds. This removes a major burst aspect from our CDs and turns it into sustain. I like the idea of this, but they need to do this with all classes; Reduce burst, increase sustain

I'm posting this before I play high MMR arena this season; I haven't done any serious matches since the beginning of last season and am basing my thoughts off of all types of PvP except for high rated 3s or 5s.. maybe my thoughts on the patch will change after I do some lol. This post is just about my opinions. If you disagree or have any idea in response lets hear it.
Edited by Sterilizen on 5/9/2013 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Scatter Shot now shares diminishing returns with Freezing Trap and Wyvern Sting.

that's reverted and pet CC cooldowns increased instead

(I whine about disarm because i'm not 2.2 and if you're a hunter below that you have no way of avoiding a full disarm.)

what? you can use a weapon chain, you just chose not to use it
Reply Quote
that's reverted and pet CC cooldowns increased instead

Show me where it says the change has been reverted.. they're saying "Considering reverting the change". Considering doesn't mean they're going to.. Keep in mind the patch notes I'm reading from were posted May 7, today... and it doesn't even say considering now.

what? you can use a weapon chain, you just chose not to use it

Hey thanks kock, I actually didn't know that you could use a weapon chain on a bow.. I probably wasn't around when they made the change
Edited by Sterilizen on 5/7/2013 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
05/07/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Upfrontmeat
(I whine about disarm because i'm not 2.2 and if you're a hunter below that you have no way of avoiding a full disarm.)
Trinkets and BW end a disarm...
Reply Quote
1 trinket every 2 min is cool
bw every min.. but I don't play BM much now.. boring and I don't like the dmg
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Show me where it says the change has been reverted.. they're saying "Considering reverting the change". Considering doesn't mean they're going to.. Keep in mind the patch notes I'm reading from were posted May 7, today... and it doesn't even say considering now.

i'm not sure why it didn't appear on today's patch notes, but holinka confirmed when i tweeted him yesterday. here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/holinka/status/331437589879988225

‏@holinka
.@dandyli37196780 Yes scatter/trap back to old DR, pet CC cooldowns increased. 30% special ability CD reduction gone from BM

Hey thanks kock, I actually didn't know that you could use a weapon chain on a bow.. I probably wasn't around when they made the change

when's the last time you played? i think the change happened in mists beta

05/07/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Tsieg
Trinkets and BW end a disarm...

he said avoid, not break out of
Edited by Upfrontmeat on 5/7/2013 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
he said avoid, not break out of

Same thing. What do you think a weapon chain does? Give you immunity to disarm? you disarm someone and it just says *immune*?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
he said avoid a full disarm, weapon chain reduces disarm to 4s, aka not full

w/e it's just semantics though
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
he said avoid a full disarm, weapon chain reduces disarm to 4s, aka not full

The end result is not having a full disarm. Thou we wouldn't be discussing this if you hadn't brought it up in the first place. Anywho! Weapon chain, or just BW/Trinket. I don't like running with a weapon chain myself.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I dont like losing the ability to take binding shot at all. It's utility in raids with add control is so nice to have. Fights like Will of Emperor, Horridon, Tortos, to name a few.

It annoys me when changes to the class are PvP based and then PvE choices have to suffer because of it. If its a problem in PvP to deal with then why not change how many players it affects.....like has been done with gorefiend's grasp and countless other abilities altering how they work in pvp and pve situations.

Honestly if this change goes through, i'll end up taking silence but will rarely have to use it in pve settings because people with lower interrupt cds will always be the better choice.

Don't even get me started on how much I don't like how my turtle/pet can't tank anything anymore, yet a warlock pet can tank anything.....sigh
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

when's the last time you played? i think the change happened in mists beta

Not 100% sure, but believe this happened shortly after release of 5.0...like 2 weeks or so after. Fot initial release I don't think we could use the weapon chain, but it wasn't long afterwards.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
05/08/2013 04:20 AMPosted by Brodious
It annoys me when changes to the class are PvP based and then PvE choices have to suffer because of it.

it annoys me when changes are PVE based and PVP suffers because of it

hey whoa what this can go two ways? who would've known
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
05/08/2013 06:26 AMPosted by Upfrontmeat
It annoys me when changes to the class are PvP based and then PvE choices have to suffer because of it.

it annoys me when changes are PVE based and PVP suffers because of it

hey whoa what this can go two ways? who would've known

And this is exactly why separate rule sets are needed if the game wants a chance at true balance in both areas. PvP Power and Resilience are just variables in the current formulas, they don't create different formulas.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Still unsure why it is too hard for them to make every ability function similar to colossus smash.

Well I don't think it is too hard but they must have reason for not doing it. Most ccs work that way and quite a few other spells too.
Edited by Faldeor on 5/8/2013 6:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
You talking bout armor penetration aspect of it? I think thats a design choice on their part.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
In 4.0 it didnt discriminate. They changed it later.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The issue is, going from one area to another, IE going from raiding to PVP, the more differences in how spells work, the greater the learning curve is for someone new to either side, and the greater the confusion for a new player to both. Especialy going from PVE to pvp, as most of the learning curve that is there is hidden (not visible on tooltips) requireing research to learn about these hidden mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
05/08/2013 06:40 AMPosted by Faldeor
Still unsure why it is too hard for them to make every ability function similar to colossus smash.

It wouldn't be hard, it would just be a gigantic mess for any new player trying to figure out how abilities worked. The game's already too complex to thoroughly learn by just playing -- having every single ability do two different things would just add to that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
05/08/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Yuyn

It wouldn't be hard, it would just be a gigantic mess for any new player trying to figure out how abilities worked. The game's already too complex to thoroughly learn by just playing -- having every single ability do two different things would just add to that.

Plus, the vast majority of abilities do not need to behave differently, and the ones that could benefit from that kind of change, most of them could just be retooled to carry over better.

Only a relatively few outliers need this kind of change, and then, some of them could be made "close enough" if Blizz would just narrow down the burst emphasis (both healing and damage) in PVP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]