Phones during concerts

90 Blood Elf Warlock
I have a rather curious question for you music goers. I can bet you've been to a concert at least once in your life. And if not, wow. Anyway.

We all know the stories of the "old days" where people would record a show with cassette tapes. Or sneak in actual cameras.

But nowadays people seem to really get a stick up their pecker if the crowd is using their cell phones to record a show.

An example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toBvXLX2YIE

Just look at all of them. It was like this when I saw this band but it only lasted a song or two before people started to actually rock out. I can sort of sympathize with fans of this band though. This is a very flashy band and people usually want proof of what they saw. And most of the phones around 4 minutes in are off. So what exactly is the issue? Recording a show has been around since concerts really became popular. And once the actual song starts you barely see a phone in the mosh pit.

I honestly only think it's silly when someone holds up a Ipad. That's just stupid looking.

Mosh Pits suck anyway if you really just want to see your favorite band up close. Or worse if you go in for a closer look and you're short. A tall person is guaranteed to stand in front of you and not give a crap. Where is the concern for THAT?! Oh no! PHONES! EVERYBODY COMPLAIN! *flail*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It really pisses me when people don't put them away after the intro. Seriously. What the hell is the point of recording the moment if you aren't really living in it?

Yeah it's a little silly unless you're trying to record the whole show for youtube. For the people who aren't able to see them. THAT part I get. But usually the pros of doing that get actual cameras and chill off in the back so they can zoom in. Or have multiple people recording with actual good equipment just for the purpose of uploading it to youtube.

Some people get a little obnoxious with it but I still don't get why people are acting like this is something new.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I dont understand the purpose of recording stuff at concerts most of the time but I understand even less the idea of people getting upset at people who record concerts.

On a semi related note this is a video my friend recorded of dream theater http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wlcj2HkdcE

At about 5:15 James Labrie trips over John Petrucci and falls and he just keeps singing which the concert was phenomenal and this was really amusing to watch. Also one of the top comments on the video is by the bands keyboardist which he made like the next day after the video was posted when it had less than a hundred views which was pretty cool to know he was looking for that video specifically.
Reply Quote
I dont use my cell phone at all during concerts unless I need the light to find something I dropped. I dont take pictures, I dont record video, I dont do selfies.. I go to a concert to watch. period.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I dont use my cell phone at all during concerts unless I need the light to find something I dropped. I dont take pictures, I dont record video, I dont do selfies.. I go to a concert to watch. period.

Same but IF something I want to record is about to happen I tend to use this little camera. But I hold it away from my eyes, more down by my chest. Just so I'm watching the show myself. Better that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgIn8KJ-E6U

Like this for example. I think my mom was holding the camera for this one. This is one of my fav songs and I've been dying to hear it live. So I can see why she'd record it for me. ( Also she thinks the guitarist playing the keyboard is cute. That was her motivation )

Even then you barely see phones in the crowd
Edited by Rosenivy on 5/3/2013 5:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

This. And the whole business of holding up your cell phone in place of holding up a lighter... sorry, but lame. Missed me by about 10 years, at least. Lighter for me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
This. And the whole business of holding up your cell phone in place of holding up a lighter... sorry, but lame. Missed me by about 10 years, at least. Lighter for me.

To be fair, concert security is bonkers. My mom is a smoker and she's had to give up lighters before.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
The only time I'll ever consider taking out my phone is at the end to take a picture of the band when the set is over. Aside from that, it's silenced and in my pocket.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
i've always left my cellphone (and anything else that i wouldn't want confiscated, like my custom lighters) in the car when attending big-ticket concerts. usually all i'll have on me is a small billfold with cash & ID and a disposable Bic lighter

for smaller venues and sporting events i keep off the phone unless i am taking photos
Edited by Darthvixen on 5/3/2013 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

Not everyone smokes and even owns a lighter.

When I still smoked an occasional cigar, I had a nice zippo. Since I have had to give up smoking cigars and drinking all, I've purged myself of all related paraphernalia.

But yes, I honestly think people jabbing their stupid phone up in the air in front of everyone else to record the show is borderline retarded, and should result in the same as it would if you were to record a film in the theater: Eviction from the venue.

Most concerts take place in a dark setting, and it's off-putting if not blinding to have random douchebag A's stupid iPhone up in the air blinding everyone behind him with the screen's backlight.
Reply Quote
I'd rather have professionally shot/recorded video or audio leaked onto the internet versus someones crappy phone that ONLY die-hards would want to see until something better comes along.

Even tape-recorded or video-camera recorded stuff beats the pants off someone using their phone or what ever.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'd rather have professionally shot/recorded video or audio leaked onto the internet versus someones crappy phone that ONLY die-hards would want to see until something better comes along.

Even tape-recorded or video-camera recorded stuff beats the pants off someone using their phone or what ever.

true. depends on where you are though during the show. Anybody who can get decent footage from the actual pit deserves praise. Just because you know of the random "HA YOURE NOT IN THE PIT IMMA PUNCH YOUR HEAD ANYWAY CUZ IM DRUNK" people

Seriously why go to a show if you're going to mess up your memory with drugs or alcohol?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]