Good starter healer?

90 Human Priest
I want to get into healing and just wondering what an easy class would be to heal on.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
PvE or PvP?

If PvE, with an intent to do 5-mans, LFR, normal raids, or challenge modes?

Leveling from scratch, or learning at max level?

A few details would help us answer appropriately, as learning in different environments is:

a) Different
b) The same
c) Ian McKellen
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Mostly for PvE for 5-mans and some LFR later on and when i get decent do some normal raids and starting from scratch
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
PvE or PvP?

If PvE, with an intent to do 5-mans, LFR, normal raids, or challenge modes?

Leveling from scratch, or learning at max level?

A few details would help us answer appropriately, as learning in different environments is:

a) Different
b) The same
c) Ian McKellen

c) Ian McKellen. Obviously.

But in all seriousness there is a great sticky that will answer most of your questions about the different healers.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I learned everything about Paladin healing I needed to know by level 13.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
All the healers are pretty easy to start out with, and pretty easy at endgame if you take the time to understand how your class works, how abilities/passives interact, etc.

Just pick one which has the prettiest looking abilities.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
i love disc healing the most.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Disc healing while leveling is pretty brainless. Shield the tank, renew anything that takes damage, flash heal if below 50% and looking like they'll die.

Holy priests are pretty basic, as are holy paladins. I'd start there. If you pick priest, you have the added bonus of having 2 healing specs to choose from, though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'd say Priest just because there's 2 different healing specs to use, and the DPS spec can use some of the same gear if you want an offspec for questing. Paladin and Monk need entirely different gearsets for other specs. and Shaman/Druid soloing is very, very tedious as a Resto.
Edited by Thaimaishu on 5/5/2013 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
With a druid you can use much the same gear in boomkin or resto. It is a pain as a pally to carry all that spare gear. But I like pally healing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I started with my druid, and I have since played all classes of healers - and I love druid the most <3
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
Pick any healer, by the time you hit 90, you'll know the class inside and out.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
For me, leveling a holy pally was the most painful, healing plate is hard to come by, so my poor pally was decked out in a random assortment of leather, cloth, mail, plate, and a few piece of bark and twigs. Carry two sets of gear in case I wanted to quest wasn't fun either, and the holy paladin toolkit seems to be less flexible at lower levels than some of the other healers. However, paladins are one of the consistently strong healers at end-game.

Disc priest is more fun to level than a basket of Labrador puppies. I can DPS! I can heal! I can heal by DPSing! Moar Smiting!

I am currently leveling a shaman, and having a blast with it. I have heard they have issues at end-game, and I will find out for myself when I get there.

With all that said, I still love this character the most. He was my first healer, and he is still my most favorite healer. They are easy to level, flight form is the best thing ever, and a good druid is your classic jack-of-all-trades, master of none. They are solid healers for any aspect of the game, from 5-mans to raiding to PvP.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
read the sticky at the top to see which class appeals to you the most. all are pretty easy to pick up/learn (esp from starting from lvl 1)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Paladins are pretty simple I think. I can't speak for leveling, as I switched to holy at level 83 during cata (level cap was 85). It's not as simple as the person saying they learned everything they needed to know by level 13 is making it out to be; but its a reactive healing class. Damage happens, you heal it. As opposed to a disc priest watching timers to set up spirit shell before the damage happens.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
With a druid you can use much the same gear in boomkin or resto. It is a pain as a pally to carry all that spare gear. But I like pally healing.

You mean you don't like carrying around 3 sets and trying to collect 3 sets of gear?

I loved my paladin, but got sick of having to get even 2 sets of gear, one to quest/DPS and one to heal with.

Now, I just work on my priest ever so slowly.

to the OP, I think Paladin healing is the easiest to learn. But I also think it depends on what you start with. If you've never healed, I don't suspect it matters. However I started on a priest in Vanilla so I still have that reactive healer mindset that always has me struggling with classes like Druids. However, I love the Atonement healing model, but it has forced me to be more proactive and know whats coming. But I can always go to Holy if I want to go back to reactive.

All that said, I still like Paladin healing as it's the best of both worlds of priests. It's reactive in nature, but with absorbs for icing. Can't go wrong in my opinion. Oddles of utility as well.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
If you're looking at doing 5 mans primarily, I love disc priest healing. Sometimes, you can be stuck in a very low dps group. Being able to help dps while still healing makes those groups go faster. I almost feel like an extra dps in those types of groups.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
c) Ian McKellen

This makes me think of me standing in front of mobs shouting "Thou shall not pass!" and then promptly getting one-shotted.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
If the object is to find oneself a good starter healer, I think the answer is unquestionably; Priest.
2 healing specs for the price of one.

The fact of the matter is you just have to play every healer to learn it and really get into it. Go priest, and you get 2 specs.
Reply Quote
c) Ian McKellen

This makes me think of me standing in front of mobs shouting "Thou shall not pass!" and then promptly getting one-shotted.

Sir Ian McKellen would never, ever get one-shotted. Not even in his rumored new role as Gandalf the Gay.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]