Apparently Fel isn't Plague

(Locked)

63 Draenei Paladin
Sean Copeland‏@Loreology
@MickeyFrogeater My gut is telling me "no" on this one mostly because fel energy is entropic. :)

Judging from this Tweet from Loreology: Fel is Entropic yet Plague is not.

So it seems Fel is Entropic/Death energy while Plague seems to be Life energy(possibly mixed with Nature since Blood Magic is said to be pure Life magic).

Of course it's obvious that both Life and Death spells do Shadow damage which is either because of Game Mechanics(most likely) or because both Life, Reality and Shadow come from a clash of Light(which does Holy damage) and Void(which like Shadow, Fel/Entropic Energies, Plague and Life does Shadow damage).
90 Dwarf Warrior
I wasn't aware anyone thought that the plague was fel magic in the first place.

Dunno where you're getting that it's "life magic," though.
Edited by Vegdrasil on 5/7/2013 2:27 PM PDT
90 Orc Warlock
There are mix energy types in the game that we see.

Frostflame
Shadowflame
Spellshadow
Frostshadow

I think the druid has Arcane/Nature mix, but I can't remember the name. I think Plague is the official name of the Nature/Shadow mix
63 Draenei Paladin
I hear that Blood Magic is refered to as Life Energy by Lor'themar Theron.

I'd assume Blood/Life Magic has some kind of relation to Plague magic since both are Death Knight Magic Schools(Unholy and Blood).
67 Gnome Warlock
The plague is fungal spores.
90 Dwarf Warrior
I hear that Blood Magic is refered to as Life Energy by Lor'themar Theron.

I'd assume Blood/Life Magic has some kind of relation to Plague magic since both are Death Knight Magic Schools(Unholy and Blood).
That's some REALLY specious reasoning.
90 Dwarf Priest
There are mix energy types in the game that we see.

Frostflame
Shadowflame
Spellshadow
Frostshadow

I think the druid has Arcane/Nature mix, but I can't remember the name. I think Plague is the official name of the Nature/Shadow mix

Spellstorm.

Divine is Holy/Arcane.
90 Worgen Warlock
Don't really get how someone would relate Fel to Plague. Maybe due the "uh dark magic stuff!" factor, but even so, they would have to include all kinds of "dark magic" on the same group before making sense. And I don't really think there's anything like "Life" or "Death" magic. There's just Nature and Shadow based magic.

Anyways, Fel might not even be "dark" in itself, just the purest and strongest kind of arcane. From what I could get, it's possible Fel is the product of "sacrificial magic", which seems to include some sort of "life conversion to arcane". Or at least its use as source for casting spells.

But I'm just deducing from I have. Fel and it's background needs clarification.

As for the "entropic", I think he just meant chaotic. There's probably a "ordered" kind of arcane while Fel is the "chaotic" one.
90 Draenei Paladin
I swear I don't know where you dig your ideas up, almost nothing you post about is actually in the lore.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 5/7/2013 6:49 PM PDT
80 Human Paladin
I remember when I posted under the influence.
90 Undead Warlock
I remember when I posted under the influence.
lol.

anyways, fel is (for game balancing) shadow. fel fire is (for game reasons) fire. in actual lore, fel is tainted arcane, that is basically made incredbly potent (to the point that it is so powerful it often has backlashes). im pretty sure plague is tainted nature. so while fel magic can taint nature to make it plague, that doesnt mean that fel = plague.
Aduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

As mentioned, Fel is Entropic.

Plague is necromantic.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I wasn't aware anyone thought that the plague was fel magic in the first place.

That's some REALLY specious reasoning.

I swear I don't know where you dig your ideas up
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm thinking he maybe came to this conclusion due to the fact that the Scourge is a product of the Burning Legion. I still see a great difference between Fel Magic and Necromancy though.
90 Human Warrior
I swear I don't know where you dig your ideas up, almost nothing you post about is actually in the lore.

So I'm not alone!
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm not exactly sure if there was any sourcing in his work, never bothered to look because it was basically a vague and generalized piece of writing to begin with, but a while back there was a 3-part article on WoW Insider by Mathew Rossi called Know Your Lore: The Sources of Magic which eventually suggests that all magic might possibly be an offshoot of arcane, including magic considered to be "Nature", "Divine" and "Necromantic".

Just food for thought.

Edit:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/know-your-lore-the-sources-of-magic-part-1/
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/06/01/know-your-lore-the-sources-of-magic-part-2/
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/know-your-lore-the-sources-of-magic-part-3/
Edited by Fyorsing on 5/8/2013 12:48 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The plague is magical fungal spores.

Fixed

Basically the plague of undeath is a magically engineered fungus designed to spread and infect without someone casting the spells needed to kill then raise its victim. It can be ingested or a ghoul can spread it from a bite or scratch (it is unknown if other undead can be carriers) it also seems to be resistant to cold temperatures.
Edited by Nathreim on 5/8/2013 3:19 PM PDT
63 Draenei Paladin
So Plague is the dark magic of the Fungus magic school.

Yet what specific kind of magic is it a school of? Arcane, Nature(including Water, Earth, Air and Plants), Fire Elemental, Life, Shadow, Light....? We know it's not Fel nor Void since both are Entropic(Fel is outright stated to be Entropic and the Void God form of Mu'ru is called Entropius so Void must be Entropic too).
Edited by Archpaladin on 5/8/2013 5:03 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
05/08/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Archpaladin

Tell us all what you are smoking...it seems amazing.
90 Dwarf Priest
05/08/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Archpaladin

??????????

How-

What-

I-
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]