Apparently Fel isn't Plague

(Locked)

100 Undead Mage
05/08/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Fifira
So Plague is the dark magic of the Fungus magic school.

??????????

How-

What-

I-

... Well. Lordaeron was suddenly covered in every giant mushrooms around strath...
63 Draenei Paladin
05/08/2013 03:05 PMPosted by Nathreim
The plague is magical fungal spores.

Fixed
Basically the plague of undeath is a magically engineered fungus designed to spread and infect without someone casting the spells needed to kill then raise its victim. It can be ingested or a ghoul can spread it from a bite or scratch (it is unknown if other undead can be carriers) it also seems to be resistant to cold temperatures.

I was trying to describe what this quote said(needless to say there is no actual Fungal magic school).
Of course Blizzard did say the Plague is a Dark Magic that inproperly binds the Undead's soul to the body, And books apparently say it's some kind of Magic School yet I don't know (I hear word that it may be Arcane).
90 Tauren Druid
i have kind of a theory about the plague and necromancy in general.

its nature magic (mixed with shadow). the closest thing to necromancy is shamanism, which involves communicating with & summoning spirits.

its just kind of "shamanism gone wrong".
63 Draenei Paladin
Or Dark Druidism like the Emerald Nightmare(considering Emeriss looked Undead and had Plague-like Mushrooms in her spells The Nightmare may in fact be Necromantic magic)
100 Dwarf Warrior
05/08/2013 05:20 PMPosted by Archpaladin

Fixed

Basically the plague of undeath is a magically engineered fungus designed to spread and infect without someone casting the spells needed to kill then raise its victim. It can be ingested or a ghoul can spread it from a bite or scratch (it is unknown if other undead can be carriers) it also seems to be resistant to cold temperatures.

I was trying to describe what this quote said(needless to say there is no actual Fungal magic school).
Of course Blizzard did say the Plague is a Dark Magic that inproperly binds the Undead's soul to the body, And books apparently say it's some kind of Magic School yet I don't know (I hear word that it may be Arcane).
You're confusing what they've said about the plague with what they've said about undeath; the two are not the same thing.

The plague is a fungus that's been magically infused with necromancy. Undeath is a condition that can be brought on by exposure to the plague.
90 Orc Warrior
The plague is a fungus that's been magically infused with necromancy. Undeath is a condition that can be brought on by exposure to the plague.

Actually the plague is specifically magical in nature, and not linked originally to fungal spores. The whole fungus thing was a way to spread it in an area where the Lich King could not manipulate it.

So

1. Lich King uses his plague magic (magic like fire or arcane) to kill and raise the inhabitants of Northrend.

2. Lich King calls Kel'Thuzad, who becomes the Lich Kings hand in the Eastern Kingdoms.

3. The plague magic is infused into fungal spores and used to contaminate food and water supplies, vastly expanding the ways in which it can be used.

Plague =/= Fungal, but the source of the plague in Lordaeron was the Plague Infused Fungus.
90 Tauren Druid
Or Dark Druidism like the Emerald Nightmare(considering Emeriss looked Undead and had Plague-like Mushrooms in her spells The Nightmare may in fact be Necromantic magic)

well, druidism is nature magic too. theres a quest in howling fjord where a shaman sends you into the spirit world, and whos skulking around there but the lich king himself. he says something like "shaman magic i see.. i was a shaman once.."
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
3. The plague magic is infused into fungal spores and used to contaminate food and water supplies, vastly expanding the ways in which it can be used.

Plague =/= Fungal, but the source of the plague in Lordaeron was the Plague Infused Fungus.

The fungus is just the carrier but without the fungus there would be nothing to attach the magic to. The plague is the sum of these two parts without one the plague cannot exist.
Edited by Nathreim on 5/8/2013 6:49 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
The fungus is just the carrier but without the fungus there would be nothing to attach the magic to. The plague is the sum of these two parts without one the plague cannot exist.

Incorrect. Ner'zhul, as the new Lich King, used a strictly magical plague to kill off the locals in Northrend and raise them as Undead under his control. His influence had limits though, so he needed a more physical way to spread it so far from the Throne (he used only the power of his own mind to spread it in Northrend).

The Plague exists without the mushrooms, and the mushrooms without the Plague. But both together were needed to bring the Scourge to Lordaeron.
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/08/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Dampledobe

Incorrect. Ner'zhul, as the new Lich King, used a strictly magical plague to kill off the locals in Northrend and raise them as Undead under his control. His influence had limits though, so he needed a more physical way to spread it so far from the Throne (he used only the power of his own mind to spread it in Northrend).

The Plague exists without the mushrooms, and the mushrooms without the Plague. But both together were needed to bring the Scourge to Lordaeron.

He used his will to create the plague it doesn't say how or what he used in its creation but it had to have a physical medium to spread thats how plagues work. The Plague is a disease and every disease needs a carrier whether its the fungus, a ghoul, or a plague cauldron. Every time we have seen the plague being spread it has been though physical means.

If the Lich King could just give anyone the plague with a mere thought or spell then he wouldn't have had any trouble crushing the Drakkari or anyone on Northrend.
Edited by Nathreim on 5/8/2013 8:28 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Necromancy is hinted to have been created, or at least pioneered, by the Nathrezim (Dread Lords). Also, Rise of The Lich King notes common threads between Fel Magic and Necromancy: They both wither and corrupt what they touch. Arthas and Jaina posited that they came from the same source.

It's possible that Necromancy originates from Fel Magic, as Fel is the primal energy of chaos, and, well, the walking dead isn't exactly part and parcel of the ordered universe.

The Scourge was created by the Legion to use a form of magic the Legion invented to fight the Legion's enemies. Frostmourne was created by the Nathrezim. Also, the Nathrezim, Balnazzar and Varimathras specifically, were covertly involved in the creation of the Forsaken's New Plague, so it stands to reason that the original Plague of Undeath was at least partially engineered by the Legion, or at least derived from demonic magic.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Honestly now? Necroing a thread that explicitly proves you wrong?

Geeze.
90 Dwarf Warrior
EDIT: Didn't realize this was a necro..
Edited by Malodin on 6/19/2014 8:44 AM PDT
100 Dwarf Shaman
Well, necro or not, here's a list of all of them:
http://wowpedia.org/Multi-school#Multi-school

Chaos:
Arcane, Fire, Frost, Holy, Nature, Shadow, Physical

Divine:
Arcane, Holy

Elemental:
Fire, Frost, Nature

Firestorm:
Fire, Nature

Frostfire:
Fire, Frost

Holyfire:
Fire, Holy

Plague:
Nature, Shadow

Shadowflame:
Fire, Shadow

Shadowfrost:
Frost, Shadow

Shadowstrike:
Shadow, Physical

(before the Demonology's Chaos magic, a certain Void Walker ability used to be the only magic-physical combination in the game, and was glitched to sometimes bypass things that would "block all magic and physical damage" such as a paladin's bubble)

Spellshadow :
Arcane, Shadow

Spellstorm:
Arcane, Nature

Twilight:
Holy, Shadow
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I wasn't proven wrong at all.

Loreology states that it was his gut feeling that Plague isn't Fel.

He was merely stating what he felt. What Loreology stated didn't officially confirm or deny anything.

His "gut feeling" supersedes your headcanon.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
06/19/2014 01:46 PMPosted by Fúl
Nothing was confirmed or denied.

So when you support the belief that the Plague isn't Fel, you're supporting headcanon.

On the contrary, I'm supporting the developers.

Loreology said that, in his opinion, Plague magic isn't Fel magic. And his opinion hold far - Far, far far - More water than yours.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]