Prot pally tanking advice wanted (WOLs)

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So I rerolled to a Prot Pally a few weeks back and have been loving it! However, I KNOW I'm not doing it right.

As far as mitigation, I know I could do better and get my CD usage tighter as I feel my gear is now suffecient enough to perform well. What'd I like though, if possible, is to have well-informed pallys to share any information on what I should improve in this area.

Now, my dps as a prot pally is really what I'm scratching my head on! I know, dps as a tank, wtf is my concern? Well, I feel if a tank is capable of dishing out great numbers to help the encounter, whether its 10k or 30k, it should be done. I expect my raiders to push their hardest to get the most out of their classes and I can't help but feel like I'm lacking. I know SOME tanks set up encounters to specifically boost their numbers, but this isnt the case with them all. I've combed through a few logs with prot pallys and most are doing exceptionally better than me in dps. I can't seem to find my error. Guess I'm just bad at comparing logs.

Here are my logs:
Horridon thru Primordius - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3aguut64pv1op8rj/
DA & IQ - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-r6b0uwrspzxpctja/

Here are the logs to a prot pally I compared myself to:
Jin Rohk thru Tortos - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-au3t6sytiwjrmfze/
Meg - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-8kai1xh2khj2l2mi/

Armory & Wow-heroes:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kilrogg/Idarkl/simple
http://www.wow-heroes.com/

For most of the raiding except DA and IQ, I was over 15% exp. Now just under by about .20% or so.

Any information would be outstanding!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Looking at the durummu fight, you have 77 hotr attacks compared to 17 cs attacks. Why are you using hammer so much, make an aura to track weakened blows. Shotr uptime is only 26%, on a boss like that where there is no boss downtime you should be 45-50% uptime. Pretty much boils down to only use hammer to reapply weakened blows on tank and spanks, use your holy power more.

Use sacred shield more, try for 100%. make an aura to track it.
Edited by Taxem on 5/3/2013 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I only briefly looked at your logs, but overall, your SotR uptime is very low.

Horridon 25.2%
Council 23.9%
Tortos 24.3%
Megaera 28.8%
Ji-Kun 22.6%

You do have a good amount of haste, so it really should be significantly higher. I have about 5% more haste than you do and my SotR uptime on our Council kill last night was 45.9% and the pally who's logs you linked had 38.3% uptime on his Council kill.

Also, Execution Sentence is a better single-target DPS talent. And in my opinion Holy Avenger is a better talent than Sanctified Wrath, since it can also serve as a mitigation CD of sorts with the full 20 seconds or so of SotR uptime as well as being a DPS CD.
Edited by Typan on 5/3/2013 3:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
62 Troll Death Knight
Horridon fight : 166 HoP gained
1 WoG - max of 3 HoP spent,
41 SotR - 123 HoP spent
Total of 40 HoP wasted (lost)

A lot of HoP wasted on basically every fight --> low SotR uptime.

On all fights a few GCD's missed of w/o abilities.

Missing JC gems.

Other than that, only thing possible is fixing up gear and getting rid of parry/dodge pieces.
Edited by Daggor on 5/3/2013 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@ Taxem, that is a huge problem for me and I believe it has to do with the reroll I did. I am just still set in my warrior ways as far as keybinds go, so I am smashing the key without even thinking about it really, because while I was warrior tanking, it was set to dev. I need to switch the keybind depending on single target / multi target. Also, a way to track weakend blows would be great as I can only see my application. Do you have any good resources for WA strings? The one Theck had made made me lag to hell...

@ Typan, Yeah, I gotta fix that. I raid lead and have to constantly talk with a push to talk and it might be wrecking me as far as building up hopo, but not absolutely positive. Might just be me making excuses. I had the same thought, I feel I have enough haste now, so hitting good dps numbers should be no prob, but it has been. I also feel I try to keep sotr up as much as I can, so I really need to get to the bottom of why I'm messing up the uptime soo much. My last talent is dependent on the fight, I like throwing out some heals where I can for my healers. Also, I suppose I should test out Holy Avenger :)

Anymore info would be welcomed :)
Reply Quote
62 Troll Death Knight
@ Taxem, that is a huge problem for me and I believe it has to do with the reroll I did. I am just still set in my warrior ways as far as keybinds go, so I am smashing the key without even thinking about it really, because while I was warrior tanking, it was set to dev. I need to switch the keybind depending on single target / multi target. Also, a way to track weakend blows would be great as I can only see my application. Do you have any good resources for WA strings? The one Theck had made made me lag to hell...

@ Typan, Yeah, I gotta fix that. I raid lead and have to constantly talk with a push to talk and it might be wrecking me as far as building up hopo, but not absolutely positive. Might just be me making excuses. I had the same thought, I feel I have enough haste now, so hitting good dps numbers should be no prob, but it has been. I also feel I try to keep sotr up as much as I can, so I really need to get to the bottom of why I'm messing up the uptime soo much. My last talent is dependent on the fight, I like throwing out some heals where I can for my healers. Also, I suppose I should test out Holy Avenger :)

Anymore info would be welcomed :)

Having SoTR uptime % higher is nice, but really not as important as just having it for every big hit, if the rotation is too fast, it might be advisable to invest into mastery.

The "defensive" priority is :
CS > Judgement > AS (proc) > DPS priority.

DPS priority :
AS > HW > Conc

While ES is best single target DPS, the aoe healing and smaller CD of HP does make it seem like a nice alternative (along with hammer for fights where you can smash it for aoe : Tort / Meg )

Plus there's a few good WA strings floating around, some of the BL ones were posted on pastebin (can search there), there were also a few floating around on mmo-champ
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@Daggor, Yeah, saving sotr for hard hitting abilities is usually what I do. If there is some down time between the next hard hit, I use it as soon as I have the hopo to do so. Still, I dont think this alone is the reason for my insanely low use, right?

Definately working on my JC, but it's been a slow and expensive process :-/
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you have to talk a lot in raid, when being RL like you said, it might be beneficial to unbind your PTT and just use voice-activated instead. Depending what your PTT key is, you could also run into potential issues if you use the same key as a modifier key for your keybinds (ie Alt, Ctrl, or Shift) where you either miss using an ability or use the wrong one.
Reply Quote
62 Troll Death Knight
@Daggor, Yeah, saving sotr for hard hitting abilities is usually what I do. If there is some down time between the next hard hit, I use it as soon as I have the hopo to do so. Still, I dont think this alone is the reason for my insanely low use, right?

Definately working on my JC, but it's been a slow and expensive process :-/

Your lost HoP's have a major effect on your SotR uptime

Also your judgement and CS seem to be somewhat less than what i would expect at that haste level, so if you're looking for survival might want to focus more on that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]