Crit and AA with 4pc

90 Draenei Shaman
This thread is not a crit vs. mastery debate. Resurgence does provide more mana with higher crit (you have to cast a healthy portion of single target spells)

The point is that crit doesnt lose value, however the 4pc is less awesome with high crit.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Pitkanen already outlined how Crit does devalue, but I guess it wasn't too intuitive.

Imagine you cast 100 spells with 0% Crit.

This means 100 of your spells will not crit and will apply a modifier of 1 to each spell.

Imagine you now have 1% Crit and cast 100 spells.

This means 99 of your spells will not crit. One of the 100 spells that previously didn't crit now applies a modifier of 2.6 to that one spell. The rest still assume the modifier of 1.

When you add the 4P to your gear, you now have a modifier of 1.15 applied to all of your noncrits. Whenever you add 1% Crit to this scenario, one of your spells goes from a modifier of 1.15 to 2.6 instead of a modifier of 1 to 2.6 as described above. The 4P shoulders a portion of the burden for your crit to "advance" to the new modifier. When you acquire 1% Crit, the spell doesn't have to "move" as far to hit the 2.6 modifier.

This is pretty mathematically obvious as well when you consider the Crit modifiers themselves:

1+0.016*X
1.15+0.0145*X

X being your Crit, every 1% you acquire only increases your modifier by 0.0145 instead of the previous 0.016, thus the absolute magnitude of HPS increase is lower.

Though to reiterate, this effect is the same as the 4P being devalued by Crit.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You are making sense to me now, but it lead to more querys...

Where does the

When you add the 4P to your gear, you now have a modifier of 1.15 applied to all of your noncrits

come from?

Why 1.15? The set adds a 50%chance to proc AA on non-crits. Each heal that doesnt crit, then has a 50% chance to proc AA, right?

Is your example using averaged numbers? We know crit is RNG. Isnt the chance to proc on non-crit heals RNG as well? The more crit you have, the more often you will not benefit from 4pc ability to proc AA. I think we agree but from different angles.

I appreciate anyone's input here, please keep it relevant to the topic.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Why 1.15? The set adds a 50%chance to proc AA on non-crits. Each heal that doesnt crit, then has a 50% chance to proc AA, right?

The 1.15 is it's own modifier placed within the Crit modifier. A modifier in a modifier. It's a binomial random variable, just like Crit is and you calculate it just as you would Crit.

Ignoring Crit; just the 4P:

1*0.5+1.3*0.5 = 1.15

50% of the time your spells heal for a modifier of 1.
50% of the time your spells heal for a modifier of 1.3 (30% from AA).

On average, each spell cast then heals for a modifier of 1.15.

Because this modifer only affects noncrits, we know we can use it in the binomial formula for Crit to replace the old modifier of 1 for noncrits.

05/07/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Bombadil
Is your example using averaged numbers?

Technically my example is not, except for the assumption that 1 Crit occurs every 100 casts with 1% Crit. With that example, your one spell that heals for 2.6 literally heals for 2.6. If that confused you, then ignore that statement and just pretend it was.

But it's the same with averages. Just apply it to any example:

Say you have a spell that does 500 HPS. 1% Crit gives a modifier of 1.016 (an average). Thus 1% Crit gives

500*0.016 = 8 additional HPS

Every 1% Crit will give you 8 more HPS.

But with the 4P equipped you get 15% bonus making your new HPS 575, but each additional 1% Crit now gives

500*0.0145 = 7.25 HPS

Thus every 1% Crit you get only provides 7.25 more HPS instead of previously 8. Since Haste and Mastery are unaffected Crit is thus devalued.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Thanks for showing your work! Well this sucks! I guess I will stick some crit into mastery when my set drops this week.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I currently don't intend to change my Crit once I get my 4P. Also remember that the 4P affects only your AA-trigger spells, unlike CH/HR/HST/etc.

Good luck. Just as my signature, obligatory insertion, I recommend weighing stats based on each encounter specifically. Use the stat best fit to overcome a particular challenge. Use the stat that bandages weaknesses. Etc.

And as an aside, I'm an LFR hero now. Even then I rarely find impulse to do even more than one wing of LFR, so I don't really do any of that. But if you're obsessive about being optimal in everything you do . . .
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
On second thought, screw it. I am going for more crit. I wonder if I can get to 50% crit in 5.4 gear...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Lmao, that was a quick conversion. Crit crusaders! Woohoo!

If it makes you happy and suits your playstyle, go for it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]