How the heck do I find a good guild??

90 Draenei Monk
LAG
I want to find a guild to join but it's nearly impossible to sift through the guilds in the GFinder and find what I'm looking for...all of them claim to be friendly, helpful, etc and I need to find a way to figure out which ones are actually what they claim.

Who am I?

I've got 5 90s, alliance side. 3 DPS, mostly unimpressive, but I've got a 491 iLevel MW monk that I play daily and am focused on progressing. I feel as if I'm a solid healer and have healed heroics and LFR a ton. I also have a 457 iLevel tankadin that is a fresh 90 and I'm really focused on getting progressed as well. I think I bring a lot to the table in my range of toons.

I enjoy PvP and PvE at this point, though I find level 90 pvp to be a mess and get bummed out at times.

I'm friendly, kind of a smart !@# and I don't mind going out of my way to help people. Getting corpse camped by some jerk? I'll be right there. If nothing else I can join you in the faceplant until the jerk gives up. Need to run through some instance? If I'm not busy I'm not opposed to that.

Even though I play a crap-ton these days I split my attention among my 3 favorite toons--the healer, tank and a spriest I have geared to raid.

I am patient and understanding, but if someone is a jerk I respond in kind--this is a personality flaw that I've never eliminated. I am loyal to people I consider friends. I cannot tolerate racism or abuse. I don't care if my toons die. I don't ever take that out on people.

Oh, and finally. I'm a happily married adult male that plays female toons. I have no idea why. My wife says it's probably that I enjoy watching female toons rather than the male ones. Whatever the reason it's not deviant behavior and I like to be up front about it so as to avoid any misunderstandings. I sometimes play with my 11 year old son.

Perhaps my biggest wart is that I have times when I go quiet for a while--I just get focused on what I'm doing or feel kind of introverted. It's just who I am.

What am I looking for?

First and foremost, friendly, casual people who are interested in doing the end game pve and pvp content. I'd like to be able to bring at least 4 of my 90s in guild so that if I'm playing one I'm still interacting with the guild even if only in gchat.

I'm really interested in learning how to tank the raids and to improve as a tank in general. I'm still new to it so I make mistakes, but I DO learn and am open to feedback and advice. Frankly I'm looking for that. I need a tanking mentor :D I want to do this with people I like and get along with. Tired of LFD/R though I'll always do those still.

I don't need free repairs, not looking for prizes or rewards. Those things don't attract me--in fact they make me somewhat suspicious. I don't need or even seek out special deals on crafted goods or need to raid a guild bank, though I'll gladly contribute to those things in an effort to help guildmates.

No drama. I'm really crappy at those things.

A lack of pressure. I bring enough self imposed pressure with me--I am very focused on improving my toons and my own playstyle. I don't need that pressure imposed externally as well.

I don't need a level 25 guild--it would be fun to help level one up--but I do need a guild with a solid base of level 90s. I am NOT looking for a guild made up exclusively on 90s--just enough that there is a solid pool of players to do those high level content things I am interested in.

Anyway, what I'm asking for is if anyone knows of a guild or guilds like this. I'll do the research to figure out what if it's a good fit--I'm not looking for a silver bullet answer. Just some help sifting through all the noise...

thanks in advance
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes Laallia ^ like emike said :) you can goto guildoriginals.guildportal.com app in We do end game raids (older content to help gear aspiring ppl also) and we have dedicated pvp rbgers also
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A lot more PvP on horde, but Ali still has some decent PvE guilds, I would avoid Mydadbrokemyxbox, notorious, & ling pao lol
Celestial is decent PvE, but if you enjoy your life (your life being WoW) and wish to keep it that way, Id avoid 'em lol
Guild I'm in is pretty cool, we're always doing something
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Opinions are like nipples. Everybody has one.

Regardless, thanks for taking the time away from removing temporal lobe tumors and plotting rocket trajectories to provide the OP with a wealth of knowledge about the Vashj guild landscape, however, I think you all missed the OP's request for guild(s) with no drama?

To the GO fan club, I'd like to remind you that Guild Originals was FAR behind Notorious (and implosion) in progression (since before MoP) until lunacy had a butt-hurt rage quit and made the exodus to over to GO, essentially powerleveling their progression via carry.

The irony is that Guild originals wasn't capable of getting past the third boss with their original members. Seems like a lot of them went looking for greener pastures after they were excluded from their own guild. (wowprogress is an informative mistress)

So, while some people might describe Guild Originals as a cool, inclusive, and fair guild, those people should be reminded that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Unlike the staunch elitists/trolls (and the guilds they think are FABULOUS!), Notorious is a casual guild that runs 25's and 3 groups of 10m through ToT each week. Our focus is on fun and making sure that every member who wants to raid gets to raid.

We're pretty laid back, infact, sometimes we watch videos of kittens riding around on robotic vacuum cleaners in shark costumes instead of the suggested boss videos. (Squee!!)

Before you decide to call people bads, a) know your S#!t, and b) make sure your guild can down the second boss in ToT (looking at you fiveo)

I'd love to chat more but i've been neglecting to organize my "Emike kill/teabag" screenshot collection and i just found the cutest kitty video to prep for tonights raid.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Regarding Notorious' history and atmosphere:

Notorious is a reformed Implosion. The mass exodus from Implosion and the formation of Notorious was done almost entirely drama-free. In a nutshell, Implosion had a very underinvolved Guildmaster who suddenly returned and tried to strongarm all of the officers at once. We held a meeting, and 99% of the active members of Implosion followed us and formed Notorious. This happened overnight, and the old Guildmaster was the only person we would have excluded from the new guild; a small handful of people opted out, but we bear none of them any ill will.

Implosion's membership was very friendly and casual, and Notorious continues to be so. Treating members badly in vent or gchat is strongly discouraged (apart from Dark's occasional hilarious drunken rage), and several members have been kicked for starting drama; these members have been isolated and usually left the guild alone, not in groups. Twice we have had to demote officers for mistreating members, and both times the officers involved left the guild singly of their own accord: first Maelstrum, a fairly well-known resto druid, and then Meerskeet, who began his career well and somehow ended up on the Dark Side.

Our priorities have always been and will always be fun. If we cannot raid without enjoying the process, we would rather not raid. Members are welcomed into raids based on preparedness; if you are unsure, we come alongside to help you learn and improve. There is no regard for the signup process in raiding, raids are filled based on the night's online presence, and we do our best to avoid excluding people. On many occasions, officers and mainstay raiders have surrendered a spot willingly for someone new. For progression, we may be more selective, but we recognize that once you have the required gear, we can help you improve your play and participate in progression.

When you begin raiding with us, there is no hard-and-fast expectation of raiding with us consistently; if you get burned out easily or have a difficult schedule, we understand. We almost always have at least 10 people online to raid during raid nights, so if we can't fill the 25-man because of your absence, we can easily split to two 10-mans or find some pugs to flesh out the raid.

Our policy about gear is simple: you roll for your mainspec, and if you've received an item and someone else hasn't, they'll take priority over you to ensure everyone gets something. We are often forced to use our judgment in situations where there's a loot dispute, and we discourage members from making loot-earning their top priority; loot is acquired as a means to an end - more raiding and fun! We find that when people prioritize getting loot, they tend to treat others poorly and generally make things less fun for everyone. But if you're new to raiding with us, you are likely to get handed several items on your first few raids, since many of our raiders are well-geared.

Our (nebulously defined) core raiding team is experienced, despite the casual atmosphere. During Cataclysm we started raiding after the Hour of Twilight patch, and began on BWD / Bastion / To4W, and we still reached Heroic: Warmaster Blackhorn and were working on Heroic Spine when Pandaria arrived. We tend to be a little behind the curve, but we still get things done. Because of this balance between progression and atmosphere, we have found it unnecessary to actively recruit on a consistent basis; people tend to come to us and stay.

From the sound of your post, Laallia, you would probably be a good fit in our guild. If you choose to join Notorious, we will look forward to meeting you!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Wall of text, did not read.
Edited by Znsk on 5/9/2013 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
TL;DR
Let the butthurt flow
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mine are pierced ;)
Welp, got bored enough to read it.
Our guild isn't hard-core raid, in fact we are VERY relaxed, and not really too worried about progression in ToT, need better gear before we continue on to the second fight. No biggie. I was just letting 'em know what I've heard from people who have raided with you. Calm yo !@#$
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
All you said was "stay away from Notorious," which is really unhelpful to the OP. Information about our reptuation outside our guild is useful to us, so would you mind going into more detail about what you heard about our raiding? If anything negative you have to say is false, I won't be offended, and if it's true, we need to address it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Before I was on this guild, I used to raid heals, and had some healer friends that said notorious had a ton of baddies, not really anything of use
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Its very easy for a baddie to say the word baddie. You said it, I said it, I'm sure emike says it on a daily basis.

If you are going to down talk a guild, I suggest you don't rely on hearsay....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Poor emike
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
By all means Laallia, Notorious has made the most reasonable attempt at describing their guild atmosphere, and i would agree with Nyoka in her diagnosis of your ability to fit in there. By all means join them; jump in head first. Experience what they have to offer, see if their talk has backing in reality, which I'm certain it does. And because of that you should find a home fitting for you. Sorry Nyoka if I'm advocating too much on your behalf. Lots of by all means in here.
Edited by Laendross on 5/16/2013 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It's incredibly hard to offend me. :)

I won't claim our guild has no weaknesses. If you are looking for a guild that does intense progression raiding five nights a week, if you're looking to be in heroic mode two weeks into a patch, or if you want to run rated battlegrounds regularly, we aren't a good choice. We have had our share of bad players, they usually don't get into anything but alt runs and we can only carry so much with our alts. We tend to be a lot more reluctant to kick people based on skill level; in fact I don't think that's ever happened, though people may have left because they weren't willing to learn to play better and weren't getting into raids as often.
Edited by Nyoka on 5/12/2013 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
wowprogress.com for PVE (you can also see their progress there)
arenajunkies.com for PVP (not required for RBGS tho)
or you can join our guild, ahaha we need MW Monk
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Fiveo no longer dislikes notorious, just thought everyone should know... I ran some 2s with someone and we kicked !@#.. it was great.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I didn't pay Emike to say that last bit
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
With all due respect, Tankerson posted a reply to a comment made. We have never cared about hardcore progression, we're more interested in helping as many guild members get gear. Nobody hates on Guild Originals for being 12 of 12, we're quite happy where we sit, and more importantly we don't care about any other guild's progression. Being "butthurt" or whatever else you have to say is probably just the only vocabulary that comes out of your mouth. But I would like to thank you on a personal note, it seems that you continue to make comments about Notorious on all the forums, I'm glad you have so much interest in our guild. I'll keep my comment simple and short. Don't listen to anyone else, join the guild, try them out: you like it, stay, you don't, you leave. There's plenty of guilds in WOW, pick the one that fits you.
Edited by Krazycobra on 5/16/2013 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]