Healing Tortos//Resto Shaman

90 Goblin Shaman
So I ran with my guild the other day and we made it up to Tortos and I seem to be having a crap ton of trouble. I swear as soon as I'm about to stop and throw off some heals I get bombarded by shells or Rockfall always wants to target me. But overall this fight is horrid for casters in general but I still want to be useful to the guild and I know other resto shamans have pulled off healing Tortos but can I get a few pointers from some of the seasoned resto shamans.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2acq451gir6n8e8h/

Thank you for any input.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ajehxiw9di52mspo/?enc=bosses&boss=67977
(I am Drieal btw)

Here is the link to the last tortos kill that our raid leader remembered to run logs on. I would suggest glyphing for spirit walkers grace as the fight can be movement heavy. Make sure to use your bulwark totem as well. It may not be much, but on the stomps that cd's are down it can make the difference of healing yourself or being able to heal others. PE as your tier six talent can also be beneficial in this fight. Dropping and elemental and using it ability can give you the momentary boost to pull things through and the earth ele's ability can help save you as well.

Also with the healing comp you have it may be difficult to push big numbers anyway. But talk with them and make use of your raid cd's. They can be awesome, and raid saving, after the stomps. Spirit link is fairly weak in this fight, but dropped in melee with the tanks can help reduce damage taken from the bats, tortos' bite, and the rockfall splash.

Edited for spelling and additional info
Edited by Ascunion on 5/5/2013 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
A few tips for the fight:

Get Call of the Elements: You can use to refresh HST/SBT during movement phases.
Glyph SWG
Use PE when not using HTT/ASC/SL for stomps
Rockfall doesnt require a ton of movement and takes a few seconds to hit. If you are standing in a circle, finish your cast and step just outside of it. Continue healing in this manner for the entire phase.
Use HR around the tanks and melee, especially when bats are active.
Keep RT on tanks and CH through them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Get Call of the Elements: You can use to refresh HST/SBT during movement phases.
Glyph SWG
Use PE when not using HTT/ASC/SL for stomps
Rockfall doesnt require a ton of movement and takes a few seconds to hit. If you are standing in a circle, finish your cast and step just outside of it. Continue healing in this manner for the entire phase.
Use HR around the tanks and melee, especially when bats are active.
Keep RT on tanks and CH through them.

All of those are great advices.
And also it might be worth trying that for this fight where dmg incoming is very predictable: I was tank healing the tank on the boss + back up healing the tank on bats and dropping HR on the melee while the disc priest was handling the raid (there i specced for UF instead of PE).
Since you have a lot of absorbs from your two fellow healers, you can HTT one stomp and SWG+Ascend another one and alternate with your priest's cds to have them all covered.
Hope this helps.
Edited by Szam on 5/5/2013 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Thank you all for the input, very much appreciated, I'll try out some of the changes and hopefully I can improve since I really hate being a detriment rather than an asset to the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I think the best thing for this fight and others like it where the raid isn't stacked a lot of the time, is for blizzard to buff healing rain
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think the best thing for this fight and others like it where the raid isn't stacked a lot of the time, is for blizzard to buff healing rain

Obviously.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Also, run the HST glyph! All Rockfall damage - the Rockfalls that hit people who don't move fast enough, and the wide AoE Rockfall splash damage - is Nature damage. Every time HST ticks on a player when you glyph it, the player gets 6 seconds of Nature damage reduction.

If you have 2pc T15, the glyphed Nature damage reduction applies to the 2ndary HST tick you get from your 2pc bonus, making the HST glyph even more attractive for shamans on that fight.

Every little bit helps for resto shamans on Tortos.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
One of the biggest tips on this fight is to make sure all the turtles are slowed and to keep your spacing. The short and skinny is that with slowed turtles, they don't bounce around quite as much allowing more time to get casts off. Additionally, the rockfalls are only a problem after quake since they really aren't cast often outside of that time frame. The post Quake rockfalls only last for 8 seconds, we just told everyone to not expect heals during that time so get 20+ yards away from any rockfall clusters (3+ rockfalls landing in a close area).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Rockfall doesnt require a ton of movement and takes a few seconds to hit. If you are standing in a circle, finish your cast and step just outside of it.

Yes, but I'll add this...

Finish your cast unless a turtle is about to bounce you up. You don't want to be bounced up when it's coming down. If you do get bounced up, shift to ghost wolf and hope to run fast enough.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
05/06/2013 12:04 AMPosted by Ellarix
Also, run the HST glyph!

What? How can you run without this? With the 2pc stacking it on 2 players... it's way OP.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You appear to have a Prot Warrior tanking the bats, but he doesn't actually appear to be using defensive abilities...? Looking at your 4:16 attempt, he had a 22.4% uptime on Shield Block. The recharge design on the skill means that the maximum is 66% - understandably, if he's not actively tanking bats the entire duration of the fight he has no need to min/max his total uptime, but I can sit and overlap Shield Block uptime and Enrage uptime (for Protection Warriors, Enrage only procs when you're critically blocking attacks, meaning he is actively tanking when he has it active) and they don't line up all the time.

He's not using Shield Barrier much at all, so uh, tell him to press buttons and take less damage so you a) can heal him, and b) he doesn't drop below the health threshold and make the bats heal themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I'm a bit fortunate, I'm a resto shaman and I have a raid that's mostly willing to cater to me :D I find this class very restrictive, especially this patch, but my group is good about working with me to over come the limitations.

The nice thing about this fight is that the quakes come every 1.5 minutes and we have two excellent cooldowns that can be used with 3 minute cooldowns.

For general proceedings, we had me stacked with the tanks and melee in front of tortos. We only had one melee so it was the four of us, with the OT going out now and again to pick up bats, but for the most part I had enough people in range to make healing rank and chain heal effective. We had the other 6 raid members broken up into two groups behind us and to the left and right, forming a triangle. When my group was good, I'd just throw healing waves around.

Anyway, we had it set up so that each healer would use a cooldown for a quake, on a rotation. I took the first and third, with the other two healers taking the second and fourth, and we would just repeat. On the first quake, I used HTT. On the third I would use spirit walker's grace + ascendance and walk around avoiding rockfall while healing people. Usually people were close enough to a few others to allow the copy healing to be effective. For quakes that weren't mine, I would just drop HST in the middle as I ran around to help out.

Finally, I just before the turtles came out, I would move into the center and drop earthbind totem. Other raid members (such as our hunter) would ensure there was a good spread of slowing items about. This slowed down the turtles and made them a bit easier to dodge. That said, it's not the end of the world if people get hit by one now and then.

Hope that helps!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
We two heal this as holy priest/shaman with some help from a shadow priest with cascade.

Aside, what are you trying to do penance for two healing with a disc and a pally for co-healers? That is bound to be an exercise in frustration.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Also, run the HST glyph!

What? How can you run without this? With the 2pc stacking it on 2 players... it's way OP.

It wasn't mentioned anywhere in response to the OP. I figured it was worth mentioning.

edit: I also drop Earthbind Totem just as the turtles come shooting out. If I'm unable to be nearby their entry point, I drop it when I inevitably have to dodge them ;)

I also try to drop Capacitator Totem on the bat tank once he has the bats rounded up, but I can't vouch for how effective it is. I figure it can't hurt.
Edited by Ellarix on 5/7/2013 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
05/07/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Ellarix

It wasn't mentioned anywhere in response to the OP. I figured it was worth mentioning.

edit: I also drop Earthbind Totem just as the turtles come shooting out. If I'm unable to be nearby their entry point, I drop it when I inevitably have to dodge them ;)

I also try to drop Capacitator Totem on the bat tank once he has the bats rounded up, but I can't vouch for how effective it is. I figure it can't hurt.

Do slowing effects work on the turtles? What I've seen suggests as much, but it also tends to say that it's inconclusive as to whether stuff like Earthbind actually does anything.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Yes, Earthbind works, but I dont use it as there are dps who can handle that stuff.

Capacitior totem is good advice, I also use it on bats. If they are stunned, they cant hit your tank!
Reply Quote
My advice is to drop your resto shaman before you waste any more time. I am discovering very fast how horribly we compare to the other healing classes and it just isn't worth the headache lol
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
My advice is to drop your resto shaman before you waste any more time. I am discovering very fast how horribly we compare to the other healing classes and it just isn't worth the headache lol

Or you know, play what you love and enjoy it.

I mean, you know. That'd be prettttty weird I guess.

(Not saying that Shammy's aren't having issues, but regardless, this is terrible advice0
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Shamans are a lot stronger then most people realize.
Edited by Kreyyn on 5/8/2013 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]