Scatter / Trap -Returned

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Just tweeted (Holinka) a little while ago :-) ..

Yes scatter/trap back to old DR, pet CC cooldowns increased. 30% special ability CD reduction gone from BM
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Just saw this myself.

Very nice, much better fix.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Just saw this myself.

Yep, obviously much better to gut any semblance of uniqueness in pets between specs, rather than just nerfing a couple specific ones.

Longevity wasn't the problem. Heck, Shale Stun wasn't even a problem, it was balanced very closely to every other stun out there (10 sec CD per second of Stun. Fist of Justice as a talent breaks that, and while Shockwave is a talent on that same scale, it is also AOE and brings damage).

But, if they wanted to make the CDs not line up as well, bump the base time to 60 seconds (~42 sec CD for BM), and make it a 4 sec stun.

Or, bump it to 90 sec CD (~63 sec CD for BM), and make it a 6 sec stun.

But no...pet CC abilities can't compare to player abilities...that would break everything.

Main difference between pet vs player?
Pet is a different source. Meaning it can die separately (and easier). The gain is, it is a separate source, prevention is trickier than simply CC-ing the player.

Edit: They could have made Longevity only apply to Family abilities (rather than spec abilities), if Roar and similar was an issue.

Edit: And I am glad that Scatter+Trap isn't being broken. Glad in the way that I avoided breaking a leg, by landing on my hand and breaking my fingers kind of way. Would really have preferred not being toss off a building, stairs were made for a reason...
Edited by Verdash on 5/6/2013 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Just saw this myself.

Agreed. A hunter will still feel like a hunter. Really wouldn't have without scatter trapping.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
HUZZAH!!
Reply Quote
Anyone have a link to the the change we are getting instead of scatter dr'ing trap
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Yep, obviously much better to gut any semblance of uniqueness in pets between specs, rather than just nerfing a couple specific ones.

Uniqueness like having access to Exotic Pets?

Or Kill Command, Beast Cleave, Focus Fire / Frenzy, and of course TBW?

That kind of uniqueness between specs?

I'll admit that Hunters could use a lot more love to make the specs feel different, but taking away BM's lowered pet ability cds doesn't make me feel nearly as bitter as you seem to.

Hunter CC was a problem, and I'd much rather see the "new kid on the block" take a hit than an old staple of the class, like Scatter / Trapping.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Uniqueness like having access to Exotic Pets?

What is the difference between a BM Spider, and a MM Spider? Saying "Exotic Pets" simply means BM is more limited than MM/SV when it comes to pet selection, as anything other than an Exotic is a waste.

Or Kill Command, Beast Cleave, Focus Fire / Frenzy, and of course TBW?

Those are all hunter abilities, not pet abilities.

I'll admit that Hunters could use a lot more love to make the specs feel different, but taking away BM's lowered pet ability cds doesn't make me feel nearly as bitter as you seem to.

Mostly because it breaks any shred of usefulness some abilities had (i.e. the pet interrupts). Its a sledgehammer fix, when only a select few abilities (see Shale Stun above, as well as spec specific, again above) really needed a tweaking.

Hunter CC was a problem, and I'd much rather see the "new kid on the block" take a hit than an old staple of the class, like Scatter / Trapping.

Pet CC has existed just as long as Scatter/Trapping. Both were added to the class in the WotLK era (in TBC, Scatter was a spec ability, and Trap Launcher didn't exist).

While I am glad they are leaving Scatter+Trap alone, it would be nice if they stopped treating pets as after thoughts, and actually took the time to balance the stuff properly.

Who would take a 2 sec stun on a 1 min CD? 42 seconds was already weak, even if it was ranged. 2 sec melee range interrupt on a 30 sec CD?

This is my issue. If they are going to remove Longevity, several pet abilities need to have their CDs redesigned to actually reflect their effects. Instead, to fix a couple, we gut the rest.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Those are all hunter abilities, not pet abilities.

Your pet doesn't suddenly become different because you spec'd BM. You simply control them better.

The differences between a BM spider and a MM spider *should* be the amount of control coming from the Hunter themselves, not a magical "enhanced" version of the pet. That's what Exotics are for.

I'd say a faster attack speed, commanding them to attack harder, causing them to attack a wider area, and making them more powerful set them apart from a MM's ability to control the same spider.

/shrug

This is my issue. If they are going to remove Longevity, several pet abilities need to have their CDs redesigned to actually reflect their effects. Instead, to fix a couple, we gut the rest.

I'm not sure which specific abilities you mean, but:

"Holinka
We reduced the cooldowns of pet abilities with PvE implications."
Edited by Triggers on 5/6/2013 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I am willing to grant that a BM spider being more effective than a MM spider (once you disregard hunter specific mechanics) is more of a opinionated stance, that still doesn't address the issue that several pet mechanics are going to be simply useless now. Longevity was the only thing giving them anything close to a reasonable level of effectiveness.

And if Blizz would be bothered enough to fix them, then they could be bothered to simply limit the Scope of Longevity (i.e. not Specialization abilities), and fix the one or two problem abilities, instead of removing it.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I'm not sure which specific abilities you mean, but:

"Holinka
We reduced the cooldowns of pet abilities with PvE implications."

Hmm, I didn't see that one. Maybe they are already working on the issue I have with this change (prime examples are Pummel, Nether Shock, and Bat Stun - all using their base cooldowns are severely weak compared to other abilities that have a similar effect).

Pummel: 2 sec Int, 30 sec CD (as opposed to 4 Int 15 CD)
Nether Shock: 2 sec Int, 40 sec CD (as opposed to a 4-6 Int, 24-ish sec CD)
Sonic Blast: 2 sec Stun, 60 sec CD (as opposed to 6 sec Stun, 60 sec CD)

etc
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Awesome, the nerf bat still swinging wild, I was thinking they would just nerf shale spider stun cooldown and web from silithilds and spiders, but they went full retard again, why nerf specific CC, that's seems like to much work and a logical course of action, lets just swing the nerf bat to all special abilities, because f.. u that's why, got to love blizz, I don't even get mad anymore. I am happy they reverted the scatter trap change tough, I really love scatter trapping people.

But we got 50 stable slots whats not to love from 5.3 happy times people!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
What is the point of nerfing pet CC. Is that no the point the pet they bring different stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
What is the point of nerfing pet CC. Is that no the point the pet they bring different stuff.

the point of nerfing pet CC is that they wanted to nerf hunter CC. they picked scatter. we protested so they moved the nerf to pet CC instead.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
05/06/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Upfrontmeat

the point of nerfing pet CC is that they wanted to nerf hunter CC. they picked scatter. we protested so they moved the nerf to pet CC instead.

Which is a fine choice, but in the process, they nerfed non-CC abilities too, but it does appear they are addressing this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
PVE abilities had cds shortened to compensate, but others weren't.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

yeah, what qualifies as a PVE ability? i'm assuming ones that affect DPS like rabid/furious howl and not roar of sac, but what about... i dunno....... spirit mend and turtle shield?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
05/06/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Upfrontmeat

yeah, what qualifies as a PVE ability? i'm assuming ones that affect DPS like rabid/furious howl and not roar of sac, but what about... i dunno....... spirit mend and turtle shield?

And why shouldn't some PVP ones (Pummel for instance, or even Sonic Blast) get some love?

The ability is gimp as MM/SV, it is still gimp even with Longevity affecting it. They want to make Tier 30 more of a choice? Then make Gorrila's/Nether Rays more of a choice.

They want the loss of Intimidation to not be a huge blow to BM, without leaving MM/SV behind (the spec difference was the issue here, from what I can tell)? Then make Bat Stuns comparable to Shale Spider's stun (both of which are weak without Longevity affecting them, and in Bat's case weak even with Longevity).
Edited by Verdash on 5/6/2013 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
77 Troll Hunter
05/06/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Upfrontmeat

Maybe instead of 30% special ability reduction they changed it to 30% basic attacks.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
If they haven't reduced the cooldown on all debuffs, Rabid, Ancient Hysteria (or actually made its cooldown reset on wipe), Burrow, and Frost Breath, then it's a damage nerf in PvE.

And there's a lot more that need cooldown reductions to not be an even-more-severe utility/survivability PvE nerf (i.e., Spirit Mend, interrupts, etc.). And several more to not be a soloing PvE nerf (i.e., Thunderstomp, Last Stand, Growl, Cower, Shell Shield, etc.).

So I hope they got everything, or else I'll be making a few lists for the PTR forum. And suggesting they finish the duration/cooldown fixes they 'said' they did back in Mists beta (aside from the massive list of abilities they just never did that on).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]