Ele Blast should also be a support spell

90 Dwarf Shaman
(Originally posted in shaman forums which is pointless)

Like the other tier 6 talents, Elemental Blast should have a support mechanic.

The two most practical options would include:

-Elemental blast heals the caster for a balanced % of the damage dealt.

-Elemental blast damages an enemy target for x amount or heals a friendly target for a balanced amount.

The fact is Elemental blast is the only tier 6 heal class talent other then Monks white tiger that doesn't directly include a healing mechanic. 2 out of 15 talents that should heal or buff heals directly.

Act; Shaman talent tree is a mess mainly because they are trying to balance a healer, a caster, and a melee. Sadly, we don't get to have fun DPS choices as a result.

EB is a tough one to balance and make useful for Resto. I use it pretty much on any fight that I heal that isn't grueling. Ideally, I'd Love for it to have some form of Atonement, but tbh that'd be OP for Ele and Enhance.

The least they could do is have it give back 6k or more mana, so that way its not a choice whether I want to cast LB or EB as Resto.

Zeleros; Well, Elemental Blast changes for Enhancement shamans to provide for agility. And many other abilities in different trees change depending on your spec. Why cant elemental blast do that?

The spell could change to do healing instead of damage for a resto shaman only. Or even provide spirit to make it more appealing for restos.

Shaylana; This spell just feels awkward in the rotation for me. I can't figure it out. When it procs haste, I feel stupid when I use Fulmination and Instant Lava Bursts. (I want to refresh Flame Shock and cast more cast time spells!) When it procs crit, I feel stupid when I use Lava Burst. (I want to Fulmination and cast Lightning Bolts!) When it procs Mastery, I feel stupid when I am at the point where I'm managing Shocks. (I want to cast LBs of any kind!)

It just seems clunky enough for me that I just decided to go with Primal Elementalist. I hate the Warlock Demo rotation more, but it just seems more manageable than Ele Blast rotations. I dunno if Ret is still like a jackpot wheel of suddenly glowing actions buttons. If it is, that's why I left that spec behind. Just too random.

So I get it - I get why you're asking that it should be a support spell of some sort. I would even like it a lot more if the buff would last longer than the cool down. That way, if you need to delay casting it for Lava Burst procs or Shock Juggling, it doesn't feel punishing. It's just not designed that way.
Edited by Tehfist on 5/7/2013 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Xuen the white tiger provides significant eminence smart healing over 45 seconds. So while it doesn't have "Heals for X" in the text, 60% of it's damage becomes smart heals, I think those heals can proc mastery bubbles as well. Like, if chi torpedo doesn't work great in a fight, White Tiger is probably more HPS.

Healing the caster... meh.
Providing a smart heal... that's cool.
Providing a smart heal then giving "attonement" power with a temporary LB cast/damage buff for the EB-buff duration. EVEN BETTER.

Good luck prying the reinforce buff option from my shaman on progression content though. 20% DR for 60 seconds... ty good sir, may I have another? Damage reduction CD that is, so my lvl90 talents can actually be a choice even when they do balance the healing output.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Yeah, Elemental Blast is very lackluster for healers. What I love about the Priest and Paladin level 90 talents is that they're all useful for damage AND healing, and they're also just really cool.

Elemental Blast has no use for healers, the stat boost isn't enough to justify casting it when you could be casting a heal instead. There's a bunch of stuff you can do to the spell to make it more interesting, like let it be cast on allies as a heal (like Penance or Cascade), or have the damage also heal a nearby target (like Power Word: Solace), or even just let it always increase the caster's top stat instead of making it a roulette, because the RNG is no fun.

Also, I think Unleashed Fury is boring, though functional. Spice it up a bit. Especially for Resto, since it basically does the same thing as the regular Unleash Elements, it just makes it stronger. For Resto, it could make your heals have a much greater chance to proc Earthliving for X seconds after casting UE, for example. The level 90 Shaman tier is lackluster, and people have complained about it ever since it was implemented in Beta.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
05/07/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Pitkanen
60% of it's damage becomes smart heals, I think those heals can proc mastery bubbles as well.

well there you have it. EB is the least useful t6 talent of all the heal classes.

05/07/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Flintte
Elemental Blast has no use for healers, the stat boost isn't enough to justify casting it when you could be casting a heal instead.

Definitely. it does have some use for the dps specs, but not enough.

Blizz should really follow their own patterns on this one and incorporate proper healing mechanics for all t6 heal class talents.
Edited by Tehfist on 5/7/2013 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/07/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Tehfist
60% of it's damage becomes smart heals, I think those heals can proc mastery bubbles as well.

well there you have it. EB is the least useful t6 talent of all the heal classes.

Dream of Cenarius would like a word with you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Dream of Cenarius would like a word with you.

lol ok i will admit that talent is garbage, but it does directly affect healing like it should.
Edited by Tehfist on 5/7/2013 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I really wish this spell gave a percent boost to your secondaries instead of a fixed value. Having it do healing as well (to me) is uninteresting.

What I was hoping to see is that if you fling a bolt, it changes the way you heal. So if you fling a bolt and it increases your crit by 15%, you try to use healing surges or something to try to proc more crit effects, or if you proc the haste effect you spam greater heals because of the faster cast time. Something along those lines. And if your secondaries were increased by a percentage (I keep using the 15% in this example), it would affect some resto shamans differently depending on how they stack their secondary stats.

I was also hoping to see it interact with echo of the elements-ish effects. If echoes of the elements was actually worth taking, imagine how you could flip up your game play if you got both a mastery and crit effect from a single Ele blast. You could like go into "super triage mode" because your greater healing waves are going to hit like mac trucks. And what if it procced two of the same effect? Like 15% haste * 15% haste! You'd be spamming spells like you were under a mini-heroism effect.

Either way, having talents scale by percentage and having talents that are fixed bonuses should have been a red flag for the shaman development team. Obviously ele blast was doomed to lose value over the course of the expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
And while I'm on a roll, I was hoping dream of cenarius for druids would have two separate parts: wrath/starfire increase direct healing spells; moonfire/sunfire increase hots.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I really wish this spell gave a percent boost to your secondaries instead of a fixed value. Having it do healing as well (to me) is uninteresting.

What I was hoping to see is that if you fling a bolt, it changes the way you heal. So if you fling a bolt and it increases your crit by 15%, you try to use healing surges or something to try to proc more crit effects, or if you proc the haste effect you spam greater heals because of the faster cast time. Something along those lines. And if your secondaries were increased by a percentage (I keep using the 15% in this example), it would affect some resto shamans differently depending on how they stack their secondary stats.

thats all fine and dandy but it's a talent not specific to resto shams, you gotta consider all specs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I agree 100% that Ele Blast should be made to be more useful for Resto. I'm rather fond of the idea that it can be cast on a friendly target for whatever amount of healing.
Reply Quote
The only issue really would be the risk of making it mandatory for Resto. Instead of changing it to a straight heal to an ally though it would be more interesting (imo) to damage an enemy and then each bolt split and heal an ally for 33% of the damage done.

Not a lot of healing, but you also get the buff from it and the heal would be a tiny bit of help for spread healing.

I think an average ToT raiding Shaman would have about 30,000 SP. That would be 72812 damage and a 24270 heal to 3 allies if my math is correct (not factoring in Deep Healing or Earth Living procs).

Edit: Actually it would be 30337 healing for Resto if the 25% bonus granted by Purification also affected the heal.
Edited by Amaravati on 6/3/2013 5:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
06/03/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Amaravati
The only issue really would be the risk of making it mandatory for Resto.

i don't think it would be mandatory, it would just be viably situational.

restos would still take UF because it offers a bit more utility and option big instant heal.

PEE offers threat gen, a stun, and option to channel 20% damage reduction+10% healing done for up to a minute straight, and PFE is nice damage for restos with option for the same heal buff as PEE.

EB would be mostly a tank heal, with option to damage instead on a short cd.

it would also offer a nice pocket heal for non resto specs, when sacrificing some dps is an option.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]