How to improve your ping?

90 Tauren Druid
Okay here is my speed test and ping How can I improve?
I am on 3.0mbps dsl line that is rated at 7.9Mbps dsl.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2683968067.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/80590105.png
Edited by Seventhwinds on 5/4/2013 7:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The pingtest shows like 200+ ping plus a lot of jitter.

I had my service provider come over the other day and the only thing he said is it is congestion on the lines then left.

I got a phone call a little later automated that said we resolved your issue how would you rate the technician?

I was like what? Are you kidding me what did you do? Not a darn thing.

Very frustrated.

Gaming at 100+ ping is bad especially in fps shooters and I play mostly fps games
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Best way to improve your ping is to move closer to the server. Since that is impractical for most people, roll your toons on a realm that is in a datacenter closest to where you live. WoW's datacenters are currently in LA, Phoenix, Chicago, New York.

If your latency to Khadgar is "200+" ms bad and you don't live more than 2,000 miles away from New York, try asking for tips or help in the Tech Support forum.
Edited by Notagin on 5/4/2013 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I live in Western mountains of Maine so I should be with in 2,000 miles.

I may make the switch to time Warner cable, they say they service my area and offer my house hold 50mbps connection for 70$ a month.

I am not sure if this is true because the cable company Adelphia went out of business in my area 5 or so years back and from what I understood they removed all the cable lines from the poles.

So is TWC lying?

also I am paying $75 a month for just the internet with fairpoint at 3mbps.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
I live in Western mountains of Maine so I should be with in 2,000 miles.

I may make the switch to time Warner cable, they say they service my area and offer my house hold 50mbps connection for 70$ a month.

I am not sure if this is true because the cable company Adelphia went out of business in my area 5 or so years back and from what I understood they removed all the cable lines from the poles.

So is TWC lying?

also I am paying $75 a month for just the internet with fairpoint at 3mbps.

According to Wikipedia, Time Warner (and Comcast) bought Adelphia's cable business back in 2006. So if Time Warner says they service your area where Adelphia used to provide service, I wouldn't be too surprised. Ask your neighbors if they have Internet service through TWC. You can also check the forums on dslreports.com (yes, they do cover cable too).
Edited by Notagin on 5/4/2013 4:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Too bad he doesn't live in Vermont. The telco in Vermont is offering 1Gb service for $34.95 a month.

http://www.vermontel.com/internet
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Too bad he doesn't live in Vermont. The telco in Vermont is offering 1Gb service for $34.95 a month.

http://www.vermontel.com/internet

1GB OMG O_o

50mbps is perfect that is 5 megabytes per second.

What is the upload on that package?

Does TWC have a map so I can see where they provide? I really don't think TWC is in my area because there is no cable on the poles how ever they did say I can get it and they would put me on the reservation.

So if I am on the reservation I assume that means I will have it soon.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
That lines connection is very poor. 200 + ms for a server that close is terrible along with that jitter.

Here's to compare to mine:
http://www.pingtest.net/result/79812051.png

TWC is also not the best cable provider out there. They have the slowest speeds out of the major cable companies and are slower to upgrade their network.

You can go to their site and input your zip code to see if they service your area. Try to research what/if you have cable service in your area.
Edited by Darknessclaw on 5/4/2013 7:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
"They have the slowest speeds out of the major cable companies "

Define major cable companies.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
That lines connection is very poor. 200 + ms for a server that close is terrible along with that jitter.

Here's to compare to mine:
http://www.pingtest.net/result/79812051.png

TWC is also not the best cable provider out there. They have the slowest speeds out of the major cable companies and are slower to upgrade their network.

You can go to their site and input your zip code to see if they service your area. Try to research what/if you have cable service in your area.

Wow nice ping 0 jitter.

I have never had mine that low.

I contacted TWC last night and they double checked my address and claim I can get it even thou I stated there is no cable line.

They said don't worry about that we will put you on the reservation for a hook up date. I have to assume that means the lines are not installed but will be on way soon.

She also stated the northern part of my town and western parts have 50mbps cable with no other information on a time frame.

I guess I can try my luck? It can't be worse then 300 Kylobytes a second that is 20 kylobytes a second 90% of the time with disconnects between the hours of 11:00AM - 3:00PM and 6:00 PM - 8:00PM every day.

I figure if it is reliable and the ping is lower then I'll do it cause I am fed up and the price oh my god the price is horrible $75 a month for 3mbps DSL and it is not reliable is terrible waste of my money and time.
Edited by Seventhwinds on 5/5/2013 6:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I contacted TWC last night and they double checked my address and claim I can get it even thou I stated there is no cable line.

They said don't worry about that we will put you on the reservation for a hook up date. I have to assume that means the lines are not installed but will be on way soon.

She also stated the northern part of my town and western parts have 50mbps cable with no other information on a time frame.

If they are saying its fine, I would bet you 100 dollars its probably fine. I don't know why you are so skeptical. Worst case scenario they try to hook it up and find that you were right and then there is no loss on your part. Just maybe an hour or two of wasted time.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/80799786.png

Thats with TWC

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2689119619.png

Sure it may not be the best out there but Twc is still good. Its also like the only good service provider in my area. Comcast the only other major is absolute garbage in southern Ohio.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Yeah there is no cables outside what so ever the last provider took them down.

From my understandings TWC just acquired North and north west and Chesterville and I live in Central Chestervill Maine.

I figure they may be routing cables this way but I have yet to see any trucks or any thing so I am very clueless.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
"They have the slowest speeds out of the major cable companies "

Define major cable companies.

The only other major ones are Comcast and Cox and TWC is both more reliable and offers faster throughput than either of those.

TWC offers the least ...

TWC= 50 down /5 Mbps up (75 Download in Dallas and they're trying to test upload speeds a little higher)
Charter = 100 Mbps/5
Cablevision = 100/15 Mbps
Cox =150/20 Mbps(With the upgrades they've been rolling out)
Comcast = 100/20 Mbps(On Docsis) and 305/65(On Metro Ethernet for residential)

Look ^
@Seventhwinds,

Are you sure you don't have a cable line :P? Might as well try, worst that can happen is that they show up and can't do anything :).
Edited by Darknessclaw on 5/6/2013 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I took 20 minutes out of my day today to drive around the area and see what sections do and don't have cable.
Looks like half of the town has cable now and I am three miles away from the cable line.

I am going to guess that Time warner cable because they said I would be on the reservation list with no explanation of what they mean I will fill in the blanks.

I figure Time Warner cable is expanding to my area, I recently found out that TWC is paying 5 million in expansion projects through out Maine and I am going to guess that my area is on the list considering half the town is already with time warner cable.

The number one reason I want time warner cable is lower pings in online games I am betting 50/5 should yield great results of pings as low as 20 depending on location of the server.

Currently DSL with a server 100M away I score 130 ping with 100 jitter and 1% packet loss.
Yeah that is amazing :( best to switch and same my self the head ache.

The last reason I want to switch is I have a twitch.tv account and avermedia live gamer HD for streaming 720P. I think 5MBPS upload is more then enough for 720P and my avermedia card does its own rendering so I will not have lower fps in my games.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
This person in the same town as you is having the same problem :)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28261510-speed-latency-DSL-congestion
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This person in the same town as you is having the same problem :)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28261510-speed-latency-DSL-congestion

That was my post on my dslreports account
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]