$1000

100 Human Warlock
Hey guys so I have $1000 dollars to spend on a new computer and was looking for ideas on what to get. I don't have any experience building computers so I was looking at purchasing a gaming laptop but I would love some advice!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I doubt that you can get a decent gaming laptop for 1K. You can built a very decent gaming PC with 1K.

If you get a laptop, it has to be a desktop-replacement type of laptop. Which probably means huge and heavy, with limited battery life. It must have a dedicated video card instead of video-on-the-motherboard.

You'll want 1 gig of video ram and 4 gigs of system ram. You'll need at least a dual-core CPU.

You can possibly find a refurbished/second-hand system for sale cheap that would be more than adequate.

If it were my choice, I would build the PC myself. You can build a very nice new PC for 1000 bucks.
Edited by Grretchen on 5/6/2013 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I doubt that you can get a decent gaming laptop for 1K. You can built a very decent gaming PC with 1K.

If you get a laptop, it has to be a desktop-replacement type of laptop. Which probably means huge and heavy, with limited battery life. It must have a dedicated video card instead of video-on-the-motherboard.

You'll want 1 gig of video ram and 4 gigs of system ram. You'll need at least a dual-core CPU.

You can possibly find a refurbished/second-hand system for sale cheap that would be more than adequate.

If it were my choice, I would build the PC myself. You can build a very nice new PC for 1000 bucks.

Actually, I believe Gigabyte makes an ultra portalable style laptop with an I7 QXm and a GT 730M with 8GB DDR ram. It's not high end gaming laptop, but there is compromise for power vs size. If you get a laptop that is 1600x900 you can play ultra with less settings than 1920x1080.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
thanks for the tips guys! Could you direct me to some sites or something for someone interested in building their first computer. I have never really looked into it or even know where to start haha
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7923532867

Isn't a bad place to start looking around.

Also, youtube is really awesome with guides.

Newegg's guide is pretty nice. Teksyndicate's is really nice too and they have recommended rigs to build etc. Nice guys too.

I just built my first rig and I highly suggest doing so yourself. It's pretty rewarding and you can get quite a bit of bang for your buck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]