New warrior: Picking my race

Hello all.

This is not a “which race makes a better warrior” thread. Bottom line up front, this is “Which character would you rather interact with?”

Now for the wall of text.

I’ve been roleplaying in WoW for a while now, on and off, but I’ve never really gotten too deep into it. For the most part, I’ve mostly had fun coming up with new characters, and I’ve never been able to stick it out with one. So, instead of sitting around in the Blue Recluse just chatting, I decided to search out a realm with an active community. I chose Ravenholdt because I’ve heard good things about you all, even if you aren’t as populated as other realms.

Now, here’s the thing. I’ve decided I want to have ONE character on this server. This is mostly because I have crippling alt-itis and I’ve never been able to get a character past 40 without wanting desperately to try something new. So I’ll be using my character here as an experiment to force myself to focus and really learn a class. I’ve settled on DPS warrior (with some tanking thrown in, maybe) but I’m having a little trouble with race. I have two characters in my head, and for the life of me, I can’t figure out which one I want to actually create.

On one hand, I like the idea of a male Dwarf warrior. Straightforward, if fairly generic, but woefully underrepresented. The character would be an aging soldier, loyal to Magni, and lost without his guidance. Sardonic, but not unsociable, he’s one to attach himself to his companion’s cause, because he doesn’t have his own anymore and it’s killing him. Fun accent, funner beard. Somewhat close to the Gimli archetype, likely Fury spec with lots of hammers and axes.

The other option is a female Pandaren. Please don’t balk just yet. Now, a lot of people say that the pandas don’t really belong, and that’s exactly how she feels. As one of Aysa’s personal Wardancer guards, she was forced to leave her home and family, and is subsequently suffering from some pretty severe culture shock. And now, as soon as she arrives, she’s asked to turn on her former friends. She doesn’t fight for the Alliance; she fights with them because the end of war would allow the reunification of the Pandaren, and that’s all that matters. I can’t think of an archetype here, but she’d be Arms spec. I’m thinking polearms/spears whenever possible, greatswords when they’re not available.

I simply can’t decide between those two. I love both animation sets (awesome Panda zwiehanders vs whirling Dwarven insanity), I like the lore for both races (even if the Pandaren are shoe-horned into the world, they’re neat even on their own), and let’s face it: they’re both hairy, pudgy, alcohol-fueled powerhouses, and that really appeals to me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I love dwarves. We need both more dwarves and pandaren. But I love dwarves, so I think you should go dwarf.

Note, the leadership of The Indelibles will heartily endorse rolling gnome, and wonder why you don't.
Reply Quote
Well, despite using my one gnome to post this, I'm really not that fond of the little guys. I think they're overall kind of disappointing, and I not a fan of their culture. I can't imagine that I would enjoy roleplay as one, though having one as just another toon has been fun.

Still, one vote for dwarf. Thank you.

Any other opinions? I figure I'd give this a day or so, get some responses, then make my decision.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Well I'm brand spanking new to this server (this guy isn't on this realm although maybe later) but having 4 Dwarves of my own I say why not add another! I have one level 21 Dwarf Warlock here and heck maybe I"ll make another soon but like you I wanna focus on one toon on this server.. ok maybe two but thats it! I could roll a paladin and fight alongside ye! :)
Reply Quote
First of all, welcome to Ravenholdt! We're happy to see another new (though as yet, undetermined) face joining the Alliance! If you haven't yet heard, we have an in-game channel where RPers just spend time with one another (/RP). We also have a server website called the Ravenholdt RP Sanctum (ravenholdt.us) that allows RPers across the server to post stories, plan events, collaborate, and just chat. We'd love to see you in both places!

Second...this is kind of difficult. I like both of the character concepts quite a bit and I can see both of them adding something dynamic to the RP on the server. Tiraslin is right: We need more Dwarf and Pandaren RPers and both characters would be welcome on the Alliance RP scene.

...With that said, I love the RP of well-played Dwarves. So I think that gets my vote too.

It's such a hard decision though! D:
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Welcome to Ravenholdt, Ragnarak!

To cut straight to the chase I prefer the female Panadarian warrior out of the two options you have presented. There is a lot of room right now to expand on RP roles with Pandarians right now and You have a solid base idea.

I play primary Horde and do have a Pandarian alt, a monk (also Horde), and have found that it is interesting to role with this race as you are able to take on the world in a new way, and potentially rediscover it. When in Rp as a Pandarian I have been able to question, experience and relearn the WOW experience in a new way.

I also like the fact you have thought out your weapon and class spec already. I did the same with my Panda (Wind Walker with preference as a brawler in battle using fist weapons, only using poles when no thing else is available).

I really have no other insight for the Alli side at this point. My Alli main is Draenei with another alt of same race and a Worgen.

Keep us posted.
Edited by Mockrabbit on 5/6/2013 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Welcome to Ravenholdt and I wish you luck in your daunting task in selecting a race that will dictate the direction of our RP expirence to this game. Being a Gnome fan at heart, I can only say that you should not underestimate them, they are hardy folk who havd suffered much.

If the races are the ones you have limited yourself to, the I could only say that the Dwarves carry a noble background and are rich in history. As a long time ally who rolled all toons over to the horde side, I do miss the halls of IF and I am sadened that the Gnomes were not able to retake Gnomer...screwed again by Blizz!!! Also, I suspect that King Magni still has a role to play in the coming days. I tend to sneak my horde stealthers into IF and pay my respects to Magni from time to time....though that can be a little unhealthy if discovered.

On a side note and not to sway you to the horde side, Taurens too are wrapped in rich history and are an honable race, Cairne Bloodhoof is a great loss to the Taurens and the Horde.

Again Welcome to Ravenholdt and enjoy your stay here.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
If the Night Elves can be magi again, Eredar should be able to roll Warlocks.
Reply Quote
Well, thanks for the replies, folks.

Sadly, I haven't really been able to decide which of the characters I like more, so I've decided to forgo my earlier plan to have just one. I apparently have horrible willpower, haha.

So, I've created a Pandaren warrior and a Dwarf shaman. I'll post some character bios when I get a better feel for the characters, but thanks for all the input.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Level both til you have a favorite. Every class you don't play as a main is a class you can more effectively kill by learning it's mechanics, rotation, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Level both til you have a favorite. Every class you don't play as a main is a class you can more effectively kill by learning it's mechanics, rotation, etc.

Did you mean play or dont play Time? "...you can more effectively kill by learning it's mechanics, rotation, etc..." is one of the major reasons why I leveled all classes...to best understand how I would die...

Not only is it sound tactical theory...but its also fun to play all classes, but you do pick up some bad habits...like trying to Feign Death on non hunters, jumping off cliffs on classes that go splat...and so on.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I've died a few times wondering why flight form isn't working. But hey, soulstone, so it breaks even.

What is your favorite class after trying them all?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
To be honest I enjoy playing all classes, but if it had to be just one class...I would choose the hunter. Its the only class that takes something from the world without killing and adding it to its own character development.

Also, I love MD, Pack, FD and a whole bunch of other neat abilities that makes the hunter class fun to play.

I don't know how many times I have been in a nasty pug with rude people and having to use my special abilities to teach them that hunters are one of the best classes at surviving death.

I also have learned the fine are of sending "Fluffy" to go pick a fight with a pack of baddies that were doing nothing but minding their own business...

Bottom line, Hunters rock!!
Edited by Bobcat on 5/8/2013 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
That's the one class I have yet to try. It's hard to roll anything else after being a Warlock. Corrupting everyone and everything, infinite mana, good health regen, casting while moving, summonable personal dance floor, so many things I'd miss.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
The only true warriors are Kaldorei and Gnomes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

<Cough> TAURENS!!! <Cough> ORC!!! <Cough> Dwarves!!!....Though I agree Gnomes are Awesome...an ankle sized warrior chopping then enemy down from the knees and ankles works 100% of the times.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
05/09/2013 03:41 AMPosted by Bobcat

<Cough> TAURENS!!! <Cough> ORC!!! <Cough> Dwarves!!!....Though I agree Gnomes are Awesome...an ankle sized warrior chopping then enemy down from the knees and ankles works 100% of the times.

We corps's can take a lick'in an' keep on tick'in....er...mov'in?.....nah....swing'in, yeah t'ats better.
Think before you speak.
T'eres no time fir t'at, Brill needs me!
Inside voice.
Taste my blades!!!
...*sigh*.....Beware the furry vengeance!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
05/08/2013 07:20 PMPosted by Bobcat

Did you mean play or dont play Time? "...you can more effectively kill by learning it's mechanics, rotation, etc..." is one of the major reasons why I leveled all classes...to best understand how I would die...

Not only is it sound tactical theory...but its also fun to play all classes, but you do pick up some bad habits...like trying to Feign Death on non hunters, jumping off cliffs on classes that go splat...and so on.

This I have done so many times. I can't feign on my Monk, I can't run and leap off cliffs with my other Dwarves like this guy because I have the goblin hang glider on this one but hey they look the same lol. I don't knwo how many times I have tried to roll on my Pandaren warrior like I do my Monk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]