Bloodlust on Tortos?

90 Orc Hunter
Tortos still gives us fits. We've downed him once, but struggled with him again last night. One of our debates has been when to use bloodlust.

Are most using bloodlust at 20% to burn Tortos? Does anyone use lust at a different time? When you use lust you use it to burn Tortos, not adds correct?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
We use it ~25 percent I think and just ignore adds and burn boss. We have 1 shell for the last breath and any remaining we use for extra dps.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
We use BL right at the start. There are too many turtles at the end to be better than at the start.
Edited by Malahierba on 5/8/2013 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We use BL right at the start. There are too many turtles at the end to be better than at the start.

I understand your reasoning, but if you're going to do that, you may as well wait until the first shell is kicked into the boss.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I understand your reasoning, but if you're going to do that, you may as well wait until the first shell is kicked into the boss.

At that time, our two ranged are dealing with turtles, a tank is dealing with adds and healers are healing.

At the start it's just plain dps without any worries, even the healers can dps, and it also helps to bring the first turtle to 0 faster :P
Edited by Malahierba on 5/8/2013 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
At that time, our two ranged are dealing with turtles, a tank is dealing with adds and healers are healing.

At the start it's just plain dps without any worries, even the healers can dps, and it also helps to bring the first turtle to 0 faster :P

That and there's the fact that if you wait until the first turtle you are either:

1) Delaying CDs
or
2) Not using CDs in conjuction with lust

Not to mention that trinket procs will line up better on the pull. If you wait for the turtles you will also get a stomp in the middle of your lust. If you lust on the pull it will still be up when the first set of turtles come out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That and there's the fact that if you wait until the first turtle you are either:

1) Delaying CDs
or
2) Not using CDs in conjuction with lust

Wouldn't it make sense to delay CDs to co-incide with the 25% damage taken debuff, as well as lust?
I'm not being argumentative here, I'm genuinely curious if the net gain would be higher.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Either lust at the start or at 20-25%. I would personally prefer the burn at the end to finish the boss quickly without issue (and so you aren't overrun with adds/bats(H) at the end) but YMMV. Delaying until the first turtle is silly because even if you delay your personal CDs you're wasting your trinket procs and your pre-pot.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
At the start when people have their pre-pot, everybody is alive and nobody has to move around to dodge crap and turtles.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Wouldn't it make sense to delay CDs to co-incide with the 25% damage taken debuff, as well as lust?
I'm not being argumentative here, I'm genuinely curious if the net gain would be higher.

Either lust at the start or at 20-25%. I would personally prefer the burn at the end to finish the boss quickly without issue (and so you aren't overrun with adds/bats(H) at the end) but YMMV. Delaying until the first turtle is silly because even if you delay your personal CDs you're wasting your trinket procs and your pre-pot.

This.

Also I would like to add that CDs are a balancing act. Assuming you would only get 1 use for the entire fight it would probably make more sense to line it up with the 25%, however this is not the case in practice. You will get more DPS during the 25% buff from a single use but by delaying the CDs for ~a minute (or more) you are most likely screwing yourself out of an entire extra use of the CDs which will more times than not result in a net loss.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Are most using bloodlust at 20% to burn Tortos? Does anyone use lust at a different time? When you use lust you use it to burn Tortos, not adds correct?

This is what my raid does. Tortos spams turtles once he hits 15%, so the faster you can kill him the less headaches it'll be for your raid.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
On the pull if the enrage timer is at all relevant (very first heroic kill, when we had a lot of optimization room left)

20% with executes if not, so the increased turtle spawns don't panic your raid.

Trinket procs(I know this is less relevant the more geared players are with the crapPPM system, but it's still relevant to a group progressing at Tortos), cooldown management and banner rotations will all make you do more than 25% more damage on the pull to make up for the lack of a turtle shell debuff (also the first turtle shel is in it's own way a DPS check... not a hard one, but it's the first relevant one).

Look at WoL for just boss damage sometime, you'll notice your opening spike will tower over any other spots (Obviously bat aoe will always be top overall... but that's often just padding, depending on strategy).

TLDR
At the start when people have their pre-pot, everybody is alive and nobody has to move around to dodge crap and turtles.
Edited by Azane on 5/9/2013 3:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
If you're doing heroic, should probably do it when first turtles come out to ensure you kill them in time. Unless you outgear it of course.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
We hero at the start to make sure the first turtle dies. Had a pull this last week where we didn't kill it in time, and we realized that we didn't have hero up, lol.
Edited by Digerati on 5/9/2013 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In our first kill (10-man) I think we used it on pull to get a turtle down in time. In 25-man we've saved it for when Tortos hits 20%. If you're not able to get the first turtle down before furious stone breath, by all means lust on the pull -- but make sure everybody stays alive, because you'll need to make up the dps on Tortos at the end of the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
This is what my raid does. Tortos spams turtles once he hits 15%, so the faster you can kill him the less headaches it'll be for your raid.

As long as you get snares on them it actually isn't too bad, main problem people has is everyone is in "burn boss mode" and forgets to apply their snare.

We had quite a few wipes on heroic in not killing the first turtle fast enough, hasn't happened since we started lusting on the pull.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]