What is wrong with my GPU?

100 Undead Mage
Hi there,

The problem that I'm having is that for some reason in most games my graphics in the game go all jagged. It's really weird and hard to explain you pretty much need to see it for yourself. It seems to mainly happen with shadows in games but it happens with other things that are farther away as well such as cars, trees, people, etc.

In WoW whenever I would be passing under a tree or I would be in the sunlight and the shadow of things would be on the ground, they would look all jagged for some reason. Same thing happened in Far Cry and now in GTA: IV that I just started playing.

Is this a problem with my GPU's? My graphic settings? What is it?

Here's a link to a SS I took while play GTA: http://imgur.com/EottZ7m

Thanks,
Xìphoid
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Off-hand, I might guess that has to do with your anisotropic texture filtering settings.
Edited by Snowfox on 5/8/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Off-hand, I might guess that has to do with your anisotropic texture filtering settings.

What is that exactly? I suppose google would tell me but is there I simple way to describe it?
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
05/08/2013 03:40 PMPosted by Xìphoid

What is that exactly? I suppose google would tell me but is there I simple way to describe it?

It's usually a setting either in-game or in your video card setup (can't remember off-hand how wow sets it) Basically it changes the way textures are filter by distance, making them smoother.

It might not be that, but it's a starting point.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
Anisotropic filtering reduces aliasing and blur at on objects that stretch into the distance, like roads, large buildings, etc that are at an angle to your direction of view. the number (16x, 8, etc) is the ratio at which you're sharpening the image to reduce this blur/aliasing so the higher the number, the better the quality, but the higher the amount of gpu memory bandwidth consumption

This sounds more like you have objects aliasing, which is kind of odd to have happen for individual objects if you're using FSAA
Edited by Yongsa on 5/8/2013 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Easy solution, drop the graphic settings, see if that fixes the issue, if not, look into drivers for your card from the manufacturer. Out of date drivers will cause gpu distortion in games as well.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Easy solution, drop the graphic settings, see if that fixes the issue, if not, look into drivers for your card from the manufacturer. Out of date drivers will cause gpu distortion in games as well.

I have somewhat overclocked my GPU's; so you're saying this could be why?

Also, my drivers are up to date. I check those weekly. :)
Edited by Xìphoid on 5/9/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I am using Crossfire with my two AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series', and each with GPU clock settings of 800 MHz, and memory clock settings of 1250 MHz. Before I turned them down my GPU clock settings were at 835 MHz.

Hopefully this helps next time I start up a game.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Rogue
The dithering/stippling effect on shadows and distant objects in GTA IV is actually normal behavior. It's just how the game handles transparency and alpha blending for shadows and distant object fading, probably for performance reasons on consoles.

Though, it's usually not as noticeable on my PC as in your screenshot, so it probably has something to do with your config.

Can you post an image of the symptom occurring in WoW?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
If I was wanting to adjust "Anisotropic filtering" in my graphics settings in Catalyst Control Center where would I go to?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
The dithering/stippling effect on shadows and distant objects in GTA IV is actually normal behavior. It's just how the game handles transparency and alpha blending for shadows and distant object fading, probably for performance reasons on consoles.

Though, it's usually not as noticeable on my PC as in your screenshot, so it probably has something to do with your config.

Can you post an image of the symptom occurring in WoW?

Yes I will post a screen shot of WoW once I'm in-game.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
I have CCC set to have applications control the effects, but if you want to control it form CCC, open iot up, select Gaming, then 3D Application Settings. Under Texture Filtering you have your options for Anisotropic Filtering
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
I just looked at your screenshot, I would be more concerned about what looks to be some artifacts up in the top left on the sign for the bar
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]